Class of 2022 - OLB/DE Elias Barrett (NY) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 OLB/DE Elias Barrett (NY)

Offers from Seton Hill, Alvernia, Bucknell, Delaware St, S. Dakota Mines, Bryant, Columbia, WVU

Interest from Holy Cross, Yale.

Barrett is a late bloomer. Had a great senior season on Long Island at Half Hollow Hills East. 6'4 225, very mobile.

Was just offered by West Virginia, who wants him for their bandit position. Really good student (3.5 gpa) who was also just offered by Bucknell and Columbia.

That is at least 3 NYS players from the 2022 class Syracuse is expressing interest in very late in the recruiting cycle. Interesting.

Barrett is a late bloomer. Had a great senior season on Long Island at Half Hollow Hills East. 6'4 225, very mobile.

Was just offered by West Virginia, who wants him for their bandit position. Really good student (3.5 gpa) who was also just offered by Bucknell and Columbia.

That is at least 3 NYS players from the 2022 class Syracuse is expressing interest in very late in the recruiting cycle. Interesting.
From his twitter he visited WVU this week.

If he is 6’4 225 he may get offered a scholarship for linebacker. Maybe he will be on campus this weekend.

Has the frame for the edge

He claims 6'4 220 on his twitter profile. And if he is right about getting an offer from WVU, I don't think a PWO from Syracuse is gonna cut it. He would also almost surely take the Columbia offer over that.
From his film he seems to be constantly in the backfield. Good closing speed. Saw one clip in coverage where he did a good job. He could be a good late pickup but would he come in as a LB or DE? Great size for LB. only needs to gain 10-15 pounds. DE he would need to add around 40 pounds. He is 6’4 so has the frame. We already have two LBs in the class. One DE.

From his film he seems to be constantly in the backfield. Good closing speed. Saw one clip in coverage where he did a good job. He could be a good late pickup but would he come in as a LB or DE? Great size for LB. only needs to gain 10-15 pounds. DE he would need to add around 40 pounds. He is 6’4 so has the frame. We already have two LBs in the class. One DE.
WVU is apparently interested in using him at their bandit position. I think that is the equivalent of our rover position on defense, where we have a similar player, Justin Barron. Agree, he could fill a number of positions for us.

Not to be a pain in your butt Tom, but I was called a troll and talked to like I'm an idiot because I've advocated going after just these type of players in New York. Very encouraged to see the staff is really trying to get these great undeveloped athletes right in our own backyard. Hope they take Barrett, KJ, Zion and more of them.
Being called a troll, at one time, may be a badge of honor later when your insights stand the test of time. Some fear change and thus evaluate a post based upon their fears and not your potential insights. Try not to be bullied away from your insights by anyone with a fixed mindset!

Being called a troll, at one time, may be a badge of honor later when your insights stand the test of time. Some fear change and thus evaluate a post based upon their fears and not your potential insights. Try not to be bullied away from your insights by anyone with a fixed mindset!
I'm thick skinned and hard headed. There are much more gravitas things going on in the world, this is just a hobby, but it does involve people's lives so I try to be mindful of that when posting.

That is what I got with your post to sutomcat; that you are not out to hurt anyone.

Make it happen. If nothing else it can only strengthen/benefit in state HS ties.

He looks to me to be in the mold of how the Cardinals utilize Chan Jones. They call him an OLB/Edge but 90% of the time he is rushing the passer. Sign me up.

you recruit your home state. New York has talent, they just don’t have the HS football structure to make it readily apparent. Its a losing argument to say SU is wasting its time recruiting its own home state.

Hope this kid comes here.

Elias Barrett, folks. Elias Barrett only. Thanks.

EDIT: Oops. What CuseLegacy said.
I find it interesting that Elias has his Columbia offer tacked on his twitter feed; not his WVU offer. He has a 3.5 gpa. Is meeting with coaches from Dartmouth today.

Thinking he wants more than a chance to play college football. He also wants a great education. Maybe that is why he doesn't seem that excited about the WVU offer. And why he is meeting with folks from Dartmouth today.

I think Syracuse could be the best of worlds for him. Great education and an opportunity to play at the highest level of college football.

No offense to Columbia or Dartmouth, or the Ivy League but the quality of football in that league is really poor. Why not play in a great league, go to a great school and choose a school that is an easy drive for your parents and friends to go to games? Where people will actually want to go to the games and enjoy the experience?

But here is the thing. I don't see where Elias has announced he has been offered by Syracuse. We don't have a lot of scholarships left and have precious little time to fill them.

We talked with Jobity and it appears we offered him during that talk.
Wondering if after we determined he was a good fit culture wise, checked his transcript (4.0 gpa), maybe we felt him out?

If we offer you, would you commit? We would want you to visit first before accepting a commit but if we offered, would you commit?

Thinking he said yes, a visit was set up and that was that.

That didn't happen with Elias.

Maybe he is a backup plan in case we don't get another DB (probably the transfer from Dartmouth)? Guessing we were honest with him and we are hoping he waits until the Dartmouth kid visits this weekend.

It would be funny if we get the Dartmouth kid and Dartmouth ends up getting Elias.

I am assuming we want him for the rover position but maybe not. Maybe Elias was specifically referring to Syracuse when he tweeted yesterday about how he found it amusing listening to college coaches trying to figure out how to use him. The timing is right...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom