Class of 2016 - OLB/TE Adam Giordano (NJ) Offered | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OLB/TE Adam Giordano (NJ) Offered

http://articles.philly.com/2014-11-27/sports/56494074_1_camden-catholic-nick-strom-onside-kick

Late additions adjust quickly for Camden Catholic
20141126_inq_jcath26-a.JPG

"We didn't expect this. I thought we might be OK players," Camden Catholic's Adam Giordano (left) said of himself and fellow senior Colin Wharton. (CHARLES FOX / Staff Photographer)

[iframe width="160" height="600" id="mod-left-sky-top-frame" src='javascript:(function() {document.open();document.write("
Adam Giordano still has questions about football.

"A million questions," Giordano said.

Like, what's this about an onside kick?

"One time he was asking me, 'If they kick an onside kick, is it like a fumble?' " said Colin Wharton, Giordano's classmate and teammate and fellow newcomer to the Camden Catholic football team.

Giordano and Wharton are seniors who decided to come out for football this season. Both are tall and athletic and have been better known during their high school careers for their play on the lacrosse field.

Both have made a major impact for Camden Catholic (7-2), which will visit rival Paul VI (6-3) on Wednesday night in one of the more intriguing games of Thanksgiving week.

"Sometimes we look at each other and smile," Giordano said. "I didn't expect this. We didn't expect this. I thought we might be OK players."

Said Wharton: "I was just hoping to get on the field."

Camden Catholic's first-year coach, Nick Strom, has been astounded by the impact of two athletes who didn't join the team until July.

And Strom said that in addition to the tackles and sacks and hurries that the duo has generated as defensive ends - and the touchdown catches that Giordano has made as a tight end - the two seniors have brought enthusiasm to the team.

"They're both like a breath of fresh air," Strom said. "It's all new to them. There's an innocence to them. They've reenergized the team."

Wharton, who lives in Cinnaminson, played football for Camden Catholic as a freshman and sophomore. He was a junior-varsity quarterback as a sophomore but decided not to play as a junior.

"I really wasn't that into it," said Wharton, who plans to play lacrosse for Jacksonville University.

Wharton approached Strom in the spring about returning to the team. He thought he might get another shot at playing quarterback.

Around the same time, Giordano decided to play football as a senior. He had been a soccer player in the fall in his first three years in high school.

"I figured, 'Let's see where they are after five practices,' " Strom said. "Before long, we put them on defense and they didn't have any idea what they were doing."

Wharton is 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds. Giordano is 6-foot-4, 210 pounds. They lacked experience and know-how. But they were rangy and athletic and difficult for offensive tackles to block.

"You can't play the defense we play without two edge rushers," Strom said. "Coach [Joe] McColgan has been around a long time. He says these are two of the best he's had."

Wharton and Giordano have been key members of a defense that has been dominant in the regular season. In eight games, the Irish allowed just 48 total points, with three shutouts.

Wharton has 30 tackles, 7.5 sacks, and five hurries. He had four sacks in a loss to Camden, the No. 9 team in The Inquirer's South Jersey rankings.

"That was one of the best games I've ever seen anyone play," Strom said.

Giordano has 35 tackles with 3.5 sacks and a team-high 10 hurries. As a tight end, Giordano has caught six passes, four for touchdowns.

"It's been like a tease for me," said Giordano, who lives in Pennsauken and likely will attend Rutgers-Camden next year. "I wasn't sure how it was going to go, playing a new sport. I've loved it. I wish I had played earlier."

Said Wharton: "I never thought it would go the way it has. We've had so much fun."

The two athletes were late to the party. And now the lights are about to come up: Wednesday's game will mark the end of their briefly brilliant varsity careers.

"It's bittersweet," Giordano said. "I wish we could play more."

Said it in the other thread, but I really like Giordano's potential. He looked a bit over powered at DE, but can see him using his athleticism to fly around at LB. Plus he could really put on some weight giving us some very nice size at the SAM. He could be 6'4 230 eventually, and with that athleticism this could be a very nice pick up.

And I am going to make him class of 2016 in hopes that Blair still makes it.
Isn't it possible that he might be offered Hudson's scholly?

Talk about a diamond in the rough. Looks like a great athlete. This kid could easily reach 240-50 pounds in a D-1 S&C program.

Like the size and athleticism here, but, I'm always skeptical of guys who don't have much experience. Sometimes it's a good thing, often times it's not. Seems like a real reach to use a scholarship on.

Isn't it possible that he might be offered Hudson's scholly?

Talk about a diamond in the rough. Looks like a great athlete. This kid could easily reach 240-50 pounds in a D-1 S&C program.

You mean Dawsons? No. OX has been tutoring me on scholarships today and unless he was enrolled in 2014 or was a January 2015 enrollee that scholarhip is no longer viable. Gone. Poof.

Coach bullough loves this kid. Said he watched him play in a game during a eval of another player. Said no one knew who the kid was because he only played senior year. He plays linebacker was moved to the line because another kid got hurt and he was the next best replacement.

Like the size and athleticism here, but, I'm always skeptical of guys who don't have much experience. Sometimes it's a good thing, often times it's not. Seems like a real reach to use a scholarship on.

I had a comparison in mind of McGloster.

I had a comparison in mind of McGloster.
Agreed in terms of size to play the position and athletic ability.

So, i've been following this sporadically, will he count against a class? 2016? Assuming that Blair does make it.

Agreed in terms of size to play the position and athletic ability.

So, i've been following this sporadically, will he count against a class? 2016? Assuming that Blair does make it.

That is my understanding. OX has a better handle on it than I do.

You mean Dawsons? No. OX has been tutoring me on scholarships today and unless he was enrolled in 2014 or was a January 2015 enrollee that scholarhip is no longer viable. Gone. Poof.
Yep, Dawson is who I had in mind. Thanks for the correction.

15.5.6.3.2 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering After Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the awarding institution who enters after the first term of the academic year and immediately receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) shall be an initial counter for either the current academic year (if the institution's annual limit has not been reached) or the next academic year. The student-athlete shall be included in the institution's total counter limit during the academic year in which the aid was first received.

Definitely looks like he's a 2016 counter.

15.5.6.3.2 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering After Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the awarding institution who enters after the first term of the academic year and immediately receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) shall be an initial counter for either the current academic year (if the institution's annual limit has not been reached) or the next academic year. The student-athlete shall be included in the institution's total counter limit during the academic year in which the aid was first received.

Definitely looks like he's a 2016 counter.

Only Giordano is NOT a recruited athlete. He falls under 15.5.6.3.4:

15.5.6.3.4 Nonrecruited Student-Athlete Receiving Institutional Financial Aid. [FBS/FCS]
A student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid
(based in any degree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice becomes a counter but need not
be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit
for the year in question. However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the
academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

15.5.6.3.2 applies to January enrollees who were recruited (kids who graduate HS early, JUCO transfers, grayshirts).

Only Giordano is NOT a recruited athlete. He falls under 15.5.6.3.4:

15.5.6.3.4 Nonrecruited Student-Athlete Receiving Institutional Financial Aid. [FBS/FCS]
A student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid
(based in any degree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice becomes a counter but need not
be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit
for the year in question. However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the
academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

15.5.6.3.2 applies to January enrollees who were recruited (kids who graduate HS early, JUCO transfers, grayshirts).

Okay. Either way, looks like he's 2016.

I love Bailey saying "If Syracuse really did expose this fall term loophole". Yeah, they did, jackass, just admit you were off base and as usual were looking for some clicks.

Lax player who switches to football. Hopefully, this will work out beautifully, and we can all forget about Chris Hogan.

Well it did work out pretty well for a FB player from Texas who turned into a Lax player. :)

Said it in the other thread, but I really like Giordano's potential. He looked a bit over powered at DE, but can see him using his athleticism to fly around at LB. Plus he could really put on some weight giving us some very nice size at the SAM. He could be 6'4 230 eventually, and with that athleticism this could be a very nice pick up.
Or, to be even more optimistic, he could grow into a d lineman. At 6'4", he looks to have the room to grow in a S&C program. I'm not sure about his reaction off the ball but considering his lack of experience this should be easily taught and learned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom