Old Syracuse newspaper coverage | Syracusefan.com

Old Syracuse newspaper coverage

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
So I haven't lived in the Syracuse area since we moved when I was 11 in 1987. It became a yearly tradition for one of our good friends back in Syracuse to send me envelopes full of Syracuse basketball and football newspaper coverage. Even after she knew I could read the stuff on the internet, she still sent it as a way to keep us connected and continue the tradition. I'm moving to a different apartment this week which provided an opportunity to go through all I've accumulated.

• Every Syracuse PS basketball preview section from 2000-2012 and then 2018. Not sure why there was a gap from 2013-2017. It was funny looking at the 2000 edition talking about JB entering his 25th season and thinking what year he is now.
  • Syracuse PS football preview sections for 2000, 2001, 2002. 2007 and 2012. I also had 2005 but the front page was a big photo trumpeting the hire of our new coach and I threw that in the recycle pile in a minor fit of rage.
  • I even found the two tickets that my dad and I never got to use when Syracuse played Iowa in football in Iowa City in 2007 because I ended up in the hospital a week before the game.
  • Tons of coverage of the 2003 National Championship run starting with articles when Melo committed through coverage of each NCAA game, a Final 4 section, the papers from the day after we won the NCAA (both Syracuse and Kansas City), coverage of the parade and then Melo deciding to go pro.
  • Articles from each game of the GMac BE tourney run in 2006.
  • PS coverage of the 6 overtime game
  • Coverage of the 2009-10 season game vs Nova when we set what was then a record crowd and won 95-77. I particularly loved that team.
  • PS coverage of win number 700, 800 and 1000 for JB.
There was a bunch of miscellaneous articles I disposed of- mostly negative stuff that I don't expect to reflect back on fondly anytime soon - the Fab Melo suspension saga, the probation and a few big game losses. I like happy memories.

I'm pretty sure I have a lot of stuff from 90s and even the 1987 Final Four run in a closet at my parents house. If I ever get the room, I might use some of this stuff in my Syracuse man cave.

What an awesome trip down memory lane! I suppose it can all be found on the computer now, but never throw that stuff out. (At least, not the stuff you particularly cherish.) I don’t know what it is about humans, but we like to touch our memories.

Have you thought about scanning your articles? That would be an easier way to save and catalog them (assuming they’re not available on the PS site). I’ve done that with old photos and found that I visit them more often now that they’re no longer in a box in the basement.

My favorite ever SU Post-Standard preview section was 1997. It looked like a movie poster for Men in Black with "Mr. McNabb" and "Mr. Darius."
Awesome memory. Both were wearing the black shades. This hung in my childhood bedroom for a couple of years. Haven’t thought about it in ages & doing so made me smile.

Last edited:
So I haven't lived in the Syracuse area since we moved when I was 11 in 1987. It became a yearly tradition for one of our good friends back in Syracuse to send me envelopes full of Syracuse basketball and football newspaper coverage. Even after she knew I could read the stuff on the internet, she still sent it as a way to keep us connected and continue the tradition. I'm moving to a different apartment this week which provided an opportunity to go through all I've accumulated.

• Every Syracuse PS basketball preview section from 2000-2012 and then 2018. Not sure why there was a gap from 2013-2017. It was funny looking at the 2000 edition talking about JB entering his 25th season and thinking what year he is now.
  • Syracuse PS football preview sections for 2000, 2001, 2002. 2007 and 2012. I also had 2005 but the front page was a big photo trumpeting the hire of our new coach and I threw that in the recycle pile in a minor fit of rage.
  • I even found the two tickets that my dad and I never got to use when Syracuse played Iowa in football in Iowa City in 2007 because I ended up in the hospital a week before the game.
  • Tons of coverage of the 2003 National Championship run starting with articles when Melo committed through coverage of each NCAA game, a Final 4 section, the papers from the day after we won the NCAA (both Syracuse and Kansas City), coverage of the parade and then Melo deciding to go pro.
  • Articles from each game of the GMac BE tourney run in 2006.
  • PS coverage of the 6 overtime game
  • Coverage of the 2009-10 season game vs Nova when we set what was then a record crowd and won 95-77. I particularly loved that team.
  • PS coverage of win number 700, 800 and 1000 for JB.
There was a bunch of miscellaneous articles I disposed of- mostly negative stuff that I don't expect to reflect back on fondly anytime soon - the Fab Melo suspension saga, the probation and a few big game losses. I like happy memories.

I'm pretty sure I have a lot of stuff from 90s and even the 1987 Final Four run in a closet at my parents house. If I ever get the room, I might use some of this stuff in my Syracuse man cave.
But do you still have the Cecil Howard pool photo?

But do you still have the Cecil Howard pool photo?
I'm still waiting for that pic of Deleone falling off the toilet when he heard Howard committed.

My favorite ever SU Post-Standard preview section was 1997. It looked like a movie poster for Men in Black with "Mr. McNabb" and "Mr. Darius."

Yes! I remember that one well.

There was a hoop one in the early 90’s, “Orange Men Can Jump”. Pretty sure Hopkins was on the cover. Can’t remember who else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom