Ole Miss can go to hell | Syracusefan.com

Ole Miss can go to hell

NKR1978

Living Legend
http://deadspin.com/ole-miss-football-coach-engages-in-some-revisionist-his-508925976

Ole Miss is apparently claiming our National Championship as its own. This doesn't really anger me, but the notion of a 1-loss Ole Miss claiming to be the champion after they lost to w 2-loss LSU after Syracuse beat previously undefeated Texas in the Dallas is pretty weak. You add that to the symbolism of The Express vs. Ghosts of Ole Miss, and it's more than a little offensive that they would try to take that from Syracuse.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2012/fbs.pdf

Scroll down to Page 69 to see who the NCAA recognizes as "major selectors" for the national champion ship and then on to page 73 which shows that 3 selectors chose Mississippi as #1 and 16 of them have Syracuse as #1. Now look at page 78 and see that we are listed as "consensus national champions".

Ole Miss had a lot of great teams in the Johnny Vaught Era. They got the nod from national title selectors in 1959, 1960 and 1962, and got more of them than Minnesota in 1960, (7-4): had there been a poll after the bowls that year they would have won it. They might have won it in 1959, too because they had a rematch with LSU, the only team that beat them and squashed them like a bug, 21-0:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_Sugar_Bowl
They outscored their opposition that year 350-21, comparable to our 413-73. They didn't use black players at that time or play anyone who did but that didn't prevent Auburn from being voted #1 in 1957, LSU in 1958, Alabama in 1961, Texas in 1963, etc. But all those teams were undefeated and so were we in 1959. But Mississippi wasn't, thanks to Heisman Trophy winner Billy Cannon:

Frankly, I think that all the teams recognized under somebody's system have the right to claim a national championship. After all, it's not "official", at least until the BCS started in 1998. By the way, James Howell is not on NCAA's list of "major selectors but guess who he has as national champion for 1923: http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf1923.htm

This says no

79434a_lg.jpeg

Well then, I hearby name Jim Brown the Heisman winner because a bunch of racist sportswriters, many from SEC country, denied him the award based on his color. I also name Don McPherson as the real Heisman winner of 1987 since Tim Brown played for a pedestrian Notre Dame team.

I also recall the 1990 NCAA Lacrosse Championship in the name of Syracuse. Oh wait, we don't recognize their non-recognition. Carry on.

F Ole Miss.

Well then, I hearby name Jim Brown the Heisman winner because a bunch of racist sportswriters, many from SEC country, denied him the award based on his color. I also name Don McPherson as the real Heisman winner of 1987 since Tim Brown played for a pedestrian Notre Dame team.

I also recall the 1990 NCAA Lacrosse Championship in the name of Syracuse. Oh wait, we don't recognize their non-recognition. Carry on.

F Ole Miss.
As a side note to Donnie Mac, I asked him last month if he thought he should have won the Heisman. He said "no, I wasn't even the best player in my own huddle".

But, I'm with you on Jim Brown and the F Ole Miss.

As a side note to Donnie Mac, I asked him last month if he thought he should have won the Heisman. He said "no, I wasn't even the best player in my own huddle".

But, I'm with you on Jim Brown and the F Ole Miss.

That is a very interesting quote from Donnie. It's so...him. He was always selfless and that is the ultimate sign of respect for his teammates.

I wonder if Tim Brown sits alone at night and wonders if he really deserved that award? ;)

http://deadspin.com/ole-miss-football-coach-engages-in-some-revisionist-his-508925976

Ole Miss is apparently claiming our National Championship as its own. This doesn't really anger me, but the notion of a 1-loss Ole Miss claiming to be the champion after they lost to w 2-loss LSU after Syracuse beat previously undefeated Texas in the Dallas is pretty weak. You add that to the symbolism of The Express vs. Ghosts of Ole Miss, and it's more than a little offensive that they would try to take that from Syracuse.

What a farce. The 1959 Syracuse team is considered one of the most dominant and remarkable teams in the history of college football. Ole Miss would have lost to them by 20-30 points.

But I, like Symphony Steve, am a reasonable man and as such, am willing to consider them to be the segregated national champs for that season.

I stayed in Tupelo on a business trip in 2002 and was stunned to find out that such backward communities still exist in modern America. It was like Reconstruction skipped the region.

Maybe it was just the area I was in.

Just saying...I think Elvis had/has the highest recorded IQ of any white person from Tupelo and that would be considered just below average for residents of the state of West Virginia.

I agree with TCat..the 1959 Orangemen would have destroyed Mississippi.

Mississippi, not quite the dumbest but officially dumber than WV.

"7th Dumbest State: Mississippi

Whatever you might say about Mississippi, it is definitely a state of superlative achievements. It nabbed the top spot on our list of the most religious states, and in the past, has ranked as the most unhealthy state, too. And now, it’s near the top of the list of “dumbest” states. We’re not saying any of these are linked together, but it certainly paints an interesting picture of life in this state.

To their credit, the people of Mississippi do perform well on the SATs, averaging a score of 1680. However, this is offset by the fact that fewer people here actually graduate from high school than in most of the nation (83 percent) and even fewer pursue a college education. Less than 20 percent of Mississippians have completed a bachelor’s degree, the third worst nationwide. Several reports have argued that the key to repairing Mississippi’s education system is to target the earlier grades where students are lagging behind the rest of the nation."

http://www.mainstreet.com/slideshow/lifestyle/smartest-dumbest-states

We all know Donnie deserved it I'm sure Tim Brown does deep down too.

I honestly think that Donnie would have won it if Ty Detmer hadn't come on and had the monster season he did. He stole votes from Donnie and opened the door for Brown. Oh well.