OLine stats | Syracusefan.com

OLine stats

RandomGuy

All American
2018 NCAA OFFENSIVE LINE STATS | Football Outsiders

Surprisingly, we were much better on the run. About #30 on most run metrics. On short yard runs, only 7 teams were better at converting.

Pass pro stats were an eye opener. We gave up a sack 7.7% of the time. #93 . On passing downs, 13.9% of the time. #123. Improving this stat should greatly improve the efficiency of the offense.

We seem to have plus side skills at the rb position this year as well. Given our weakness at pass protection the last decade (easy orange colored glasses just joking a bit) I wonder if we see HCDFBs push the run game a bit more to help the passing game. Gives Devito a little help if the run game average plus. As prolific as everyone expects the passing game to be Dino does believe balanced run game is important in making his offense go.

Last year's stats say we should be able to push the run, more. Bottom 1/4 in pass pro needs to be addressed.

With new OT's, I'd expect a little more dink and dunk. Could also be a factor of WR's getting open/ability to read the field.

Surprisingly, we were much better on the run. About #30 on most run metrics. On short yard runs, only 7 teams were better at converting.

Pass pro stats were an eye opener. We gave up a sack 7.7% of the time. #93 . On passing downs, 13.9% of the time. #123. Improving this stat should greatly improve the efficiency of the offense.
I'm afraid that Dungey's legs were able to hide a lot more ugliness from the o-line than we realized. We won't have that this year. If we're going to win 8+ games, our O-line needs to improve pass blocking a lot.

We seem to have plus side skills at the rb position this year as well. Given our weakness at pass protection the last decade (easy orange colored glasses just joking a bit) I wonder if we see HCDFBs push the run game a bit more to help the passing game. Gives Devito a little help if the run game average plus. As prolific as everyone expects the passing game to be Dino does believe balanced run game is important in making his offense go.
Well having a tremendously talented RB Named Abdul Adams and cant forget about moe Neal n his quick feet. With these 2 guys especially Adams who I am so excited about should will be a pretty nice upgrade as long as our OL just equals last year's performance! We have the opportunity to put together a pretty good OL on the field this season but would definitely love to get another grad transfer in here at tacke or anywhere else for that matter would be huge! Here's to it. .
As for Tommy devito this would also be huge! Especially early on out the box due to lax of experience, and dont need him getting jacked up from lack of protection which in turn can affect confidence n slow his learning curve

WR screens will replace Dungey runs. It is a big part of Dino’s offense but Dungey really struggled throwing them. Devito has the strength and touch necessary to run good screens. Not as easy as most people would think.

You’re 100% dead on.

Watch Devito fire darts against FSU was awing.

And it will open up the deep ball if we can do that well.

You’re 100% dead on.

Watch Devito fire darts against FSU was awing.

And it will open up the deep ball if we can do that well.
Yepp. And it will help the OLine pass pro stats. Everything is related. Was still concerning being in the bottom 1/4 in that stat. Those screens will keep the def honest.

Could the pass stats reflect, at least in part, a qb that was more likely to hold the ball due to the confidence in his running ability?

Yeah. Same for coverage sacks, poor reads. Still like to see a better #. For Devito, it will be required, and can be offset with check down, screen, etc.. Better blocking solves a lot of things, though .

The surprising part, for me, was how often we gave up a sack on passing downs. (Only 9 teams worse) Winning is all that matters, but an improvement here should result in a more consistently good performance.

I'm afraid that Dungey's legs were able to hide a lot more ugliness from the o-line than we realized. We won't have that this year. If we're going to win 8+ games, our O-line needs to improve pass blocking a lot.

Dungey also took off early a lot when he shouldve stepped up into the pocket and delivered the ball. Things weren’t necessarily breaking down.

additionally you have to look at down/distance/and what the D was doing. some plays when they break down a sack is not the worst option..

Counter point: Dungey held the ball too long and didn’t have as much confidence in his throwing as running. He was running a hybrid O built for him rather than Babers system.

I think we’re going to see a jump in offensive effeciency.

Love me some Dungey. He helped improve the run #'s. May have lessened the pass pro #'s. Don't care, he won.

The pass pro #'s are still a concern. As Babers said, "You're only as good as your big guys." Now, we'll fully enter a Babers system, with a pocket guy, that has wheels, if he has to. We need the pass pro. It'll definitely be offset with check downs and screens. If we want to threaten with the spread/deep ball, it has to be there. Statistically, it needs improvement. Practice reports say Vet is the real deal. Servais is a gimmee, even if they'd rather have him at C. To me, this is the difference from being an FSU line, or a Clemson...

Running backs. They barely affect the Oline run #'s. (first 4 yards are the lines) We were good here, last year. The Man scheme has pre-defined holes(forward) opened by the line, but we run mostly Zone Blocking(lateral, in part because of RPO), that requires a read by the RB, to find the hole. IMO, the guy with the quickest read, and the quickest explosion to it, is Howard. Lacks the top end, but he commits almost instantly, with violence, as he sees the line develop. He'll be big. Practice reports say that Abdul Adams is insane. I have to think he's a natural ZBS runner, as well.

Offensive success will be dictated by the line. If there's a drop off in line play, it can be counteracted with scheme. If it gets FSU bad? That's on the coaches. Don't think we'll go there, but either way, the big guys up front are going to define how much we enjoy next season...

Love me some Dungey. He helped improve the run #'s. May have lessened the pass pro #'s. Don't care, he won.

The pass pro #'s are still a concern. As Babers said, "You're only as good as your big guys." Now, we'll fully enter a Babers system, with a pocket guy, that has wheels, if he has to. We need the pass pro. It'll definitely be offset with check downs and screens. If we want to threaten with the spread/deep ball, it has to be there. Statistically, it needs improvement. Practice reports say Vet is the real deal. Servais is a gimmee, even if they'd rather have him at C. To me, this is the difference from being an FSU line, or a Clemson...

Running backs. They barely affect the Oline run #'s. (first 4 yards are the lines) We were good here, last year. The Man scheme has pre-defined holes(forward) opened by the line, but we run mostly Zone Blocking(lateral, in part because of RPO), that requires a read by the RB, to find the hole. IMO, the guy with the quickest read, and the quickest explosion to it, is Howard. Lacks the top end, but he commits almost instantly, with violence, as he sees the line develop. He'll be big. Practice reports say that Abdul Adams is insane. I have to think he's a natural ZBS runner, as well.

Offensive success will be dictated by the line. If there's a drop off in line play, it can be counteracted with scheme. If it gets FSU bad? That's on the coaches. Don't think we'll go there, but either way, the big guys up front are going to define how much we enjoy next season...

"With weighting towards sacks allowed"
My interpretation is that if Dungey wasn't Houdini, we'd be much further down that list.

This is OLine efficiency. I believe It removes pressures allowed by RB's, TE's, guys that weren't picked up because of scheme, and QB's holding the ball too long. Cutting through some "blame" on why there was pressure. (Corrections welcome)

At least for me, this says the line was better than the unadjusted sack rates. Seems to me, the unadjusted rate fell more on QB, sheme, RB/TE. Again, corrections welcome. The RPO could also statistically inflate pass pro #'s.

I like the stat. I think it shows more accurately where Improvements are needed.

He did, but the flip side was Dungey was slower on his reads which led to him missing a lot of opportunities to hit guys before the pressure got to him.

"With weighting towards sacks allowed"
My interpretation is that if Dungey wasn't Houdini, we'd be much further down that list.
Lol, that NC State team wasn't so efficient against our Defensive Line.

All I remember is their QB getting hit over and over and being helped up and off the field a few times.

Lol, that NC State team wasn't so efficient against our Defensive Line.

All I remember is their QB getting hit over and over and being helped up and off the field a few times.
Not being snotty, but what does that have to do with what I wrote?

Stats are soooooo skewed , so many factors to consider . Bottom line is keep the guy in front of you off your Qb for 4 seconds and we win . I never played O line but looks easier to pass block than run block

Stats are soooooo skewed , so many factors to consider . Bottom line is keep the guy in front of you off your Qb for 4 seconds and we win . I never played O line but looks easier to pass block than run block
Other way around. Pass block you react, run block you exert your will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom