On Benny Williams...I changed my mind... | Syracusefan.com

On Benny Williams...I changed my mind...

Ceerqqq

Scout Team
I've been expecting Jimmy to start over Benny because of the experience factor...at least through November & December. But in 25 minutes tonight, he filled the stat sheet...

1635816444404.png

In those minutes he had 5 steals, 1 block, 5 rebounds, 3 of 3 FT and was 4-5 from the field.

I know JB always favors experience like Jimmy's early in the schedule, but I also know JB can see from the sideline when a guy like Benny with all his gifts is making plays all over the court. You know how he liked Marek? He makes the defense better, he makes the rebounding better, he makes the ball movement better...

How can he keep Benny off the court when facing the toughest opponents?
He won't, of course, cuz Benny will play A LOT even if he does come off the bench.

The question I'm entertaining is if perhaps JB is seeing a reason now for why he might want to put Benny in the starting line up from the get go. No, his game isn't perfect. He's not The Guy--right now, anyway--that you're gonna turn to when the team needs a bucket. But it's everything else that's so important & JB sees it clearly.

So what I'm saying is I think there's a chance, now, of Benny replacing Jimmy in the starting line up.

**Edit: JB has certain coaching 'instincts' he relies on. #1 is he always will turn to experienced players if he's got them. It's probably his most reliable tendency. That instinct keeps telling him Jimmy's the one, at least over the next 2 months.

But Jim Boeheim also has a special appreciation for super-talented big guys--Derrick Coleman comes to mind--who show him they have the physical talent & instincts to go after the ball, make a steal, grab a rebound. I got this sense in this game that Benny's showing him that he's gonna win some big games down the road, that he's a powerful weapon to develop.

In other words, JB's probably already treasuring Benny the way he treasured DC.

But what complicates JB's decision is the fact that Benny seems comfortable with 1) coming off the bench at this early point in the season & 2) seems content with the idea of a 2-yr career at SU. That reality gives JB an additional reason to lean into his pro-experience bias. And yeah, it would be nice to start Jimmy if he can really justify it to the rest of his coaching instincts.

I don't know when or if Benny will start this year, but I think that JB is gonna be feeling torn between those two competing instincts this year: 1) bet it all on experience, as the never-questioned constant priority, or 2) go with his other instinct which is to always have a multi-talented athlete like Benny on the court any time the game is in doubt.

I'm thinking he's really wavering on these two considerations. Of course, there's always the possibility that he will do both as we've always speculated: start Jimmy until January & then make a line up change. That way he could yield to both of the competing instincts and just embrace them at different times.

We shall see...

Last edited:
I've been expecting Jimmy to start over Benny because of the experience factor...at least through November & December. But in 25 minutes tonight, he filled the stat sheet...

View attachment 209979
In those minutes he had 5 steals, 1 block, 5 rebounds, 3 of 3 FT and was 4-5 from the field.

I know JB always favors experience like Jimmy's early in the schedule, but I also know JB can see from the sideline when a guy like Benny with all his gifts is making plays all over the court. You know how he liked Marek? He makes the defense better, he makes the rebounding better, he makes the ball movement better...

How can he keep Benny off the court when facing the toughest opponents?
He won't, of course, cuz Benny will play A LOT even if he does come off the bench.

The question I'm entertaining is if perhaps JB is seeing a reason now for why he might want to put Benny in the starting line up from the get go. No, his game isn't perfect. He's not The Guy--right now, anyway--that you're gonna turn to when the team needs a bucket. But it's everything else that's so important & JB sees it clearly.

So what I'm saying is I think there's a chance, now, of Benny replacing Jimmy in the starting line up.

If it happens, it will be because JB knows already that he's gonna be depending on Benny to make plays against the best teams he'll face at the end of the year and he knows Benny will be much improved by then. Boeheim loves his son, but he knows that his starting team will be all that much better at the end of the season if they are getting all the PT they need to gel together as a powerhouse five.

We shall see...
I’ve said since last year that Benny was too good not to start. But, I could definitely see Jimmy starting and having Benny come off the bench as an infusion of athleticism. I only think this now because Benny seems incredibly unselfish and I can see him agreeing to that strategy. The only issue I see is, if Benny and Symir come in together, while the athleticism goes way up, we will have to take two shooters off the floor. I thought Benny’s shot looked better in high school, but he has some minor adjustments to make before he can be considered a great shooter. Luckily, he does everything else well.

Jimmy will always start but if Benny keeps this up he will get more minutes than Jimmy. Our sample size is small. I agree that the stats are impressive. That line drive shot surprises me when it goes in.

There are going to be games where JBJr is going to be overmatched physically, but I don’t think you’ll see those roles change. Benny will chip away at someone’s minutes as the season progresses.

If Jimmy is bullied, is Benny the answer? A vintage JB strategy on offense is to draw the bully outside. Jimmy is better up high than Benny. Maybe Benny will change my mind about that. Our beef is in Frank and Cole.

Heh. Benny ain’t chipping away at Jimmy’s minutes. He’s chipping at frank and jessies

Jimmy’s a good player but benny is in a different league. Not sure if jimmy would even be here if his last name wasnt boeheim. Im not saying hes not deserving.
If Jimmy had a different name he’d still start the year. Now depending how he plays and who Benny takes minutes from, you could argue the last name matters

Benny should start. JBIII will start because hes a son. I just hope it doesn’t cause any drama.
Junior starting is a foregone conclusion and it wouldn't be happening if his name was Smith. Let's be honest about that. My concern is minutes and as I have said before will Benny become the "he's not ready to play" guy this year.

Junior starting is a foregone conclusion and it wouldn't be happening if his name was Smith. Let's be honest about that. My concern is minutes and as I have said before will Benny become the "he's not ready to play" guy this year.
Benny is a highly recruited 4 star player, the guy now at Seton Hall wasn't.

I respect your opinion and of course it is always a concern. In Benny’s HUGE favor of receiving strong minutes is that he is in the right place at the right time defensively. He makes steals, and he drops down to cover the low post really quickly. I believe he had 5 steals against Lenoyne. I know it is against Lemoyne, but just watch him defensively for a few moments and you will realize he already has great zone instincts. Also he provides strong rebounding and driving capability. He even passes down low, maybe too much. Extremely unselfish. He is no Carmelo by any stretch of the imagination of course. He will need to develop an outside shot to even approach that, but he’s got too many tools to be “Boeheimed”.

I respect your opinion and of course it is always a concern. In Benny’s HUGE favor of receiving strong minutes is that he is in the right place at the right time defensively. He makes steals, and he drops down to cover the low post really quickly. I believe he had 5 steals against Lenoyne. I know it is against Lemoyne, but just watch him defensively for a few moments and you will realize he already has great zone instincts. Also he provides strong rebounding and driving capability. He even passes down low, maybe too much. Extremely unselfish. He is no Carmelo by any stretch of the imagination of course. He will need to develop an outside shot to even approach that, but he’s got too many tools to be “Boeheimed”.
I agree with everything you wrote - I'm not saying he won't get minutes. I am saying he won't get minutes over Jr's minutes, and therefore won't get as many as some will think he should. The other ingredient here is Cole who has surpassed my expectations in a big way and - at least thus far - looks like he will need to be a 30 plus minute per guy.

I agree with everything you wrote - I'm not saying he won't get minutes. I am saying he won't get minutes over Jr's minutes, and therefore won't get as many as some will think he should. The other ingredient here is Cole who has surpassed my expectations in a big way and - at least thus far - looks like he will need to be a 30 plus minute per guy.
Agree. There is a whole lot to like about this team!!

I’ve said since last year that Benny was too good not to start. But, I could definitely see Jimmy starting and having Benny come off the bench as an infusion of athleticism. I only think this now because Benny seems incredibly unselfish and I can see him agreeing to that strategy. The only issue I see is, if Benny and Symir come in together, while the athleticism goes way up, we will have to take two shooters off the floor. I thought Benny’s shot looked better in high school, but he has some minor adjustments to make before he can be considered a great shooter. Luckily, he does everything else well.
have the coaches at su tinkered with his shooting form?

has he changed it since high school?

if so, why fix whats not broken?

have the coaches at su tinkered with his shooting form?

has he changed it since high school?

if so, why fix whats not broken?
His shot seems more flat. It is noticeable in the first two preseason games. It may be nerves.

The problem w this team is we may have trouble scoring against teams that play smothering defense. Im afraid of what houston did to us last year and not sure weve fixed the issue. Well light up teams that play soft d.
You know, that is a good point. We’ll have to have our best ball handlers in there but that is definitely not a strength.

His shot seems more flat. It is noticeable in the first two preseason games. It may be nerves.
It was noticeably flat in the open practice too. I think that’s just his shot. There were articles over the summer that stated Autry is working with him to get a higher release off his finger tips.

JB said twice in his presser he’s not going to use that lineup much. Exhibitions are where you tinker.

Yeah I caught that. It's been pretty obvious it's not where Jimmy is comfortable anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom