One and Done going away? | Syracusefan.com

One and Done going away?

djcon57

Living Legend
  • The league and union are expected to agree to move the minimum age for NBA Draft eligibility from 19 to 18. The league increased the minimum ahead of the 2007 draft, but moving it back down would clear the way for high schoolers to become eligible again. This change could come as soon as 2024, setting the stage for a long-rumored "double" draft in which the best high-school seniors are eligible alongside the top college freshmen who had to wait a year.

Granted G League Ignite and others have started poaching some of the top HS already, but this would send it back to the 2005 NBA draft days where I would expect the Top 10-20 or whatever to go pro.

Also if there's expected to be a 2024 "double draft", I would expect ANYONE that has even an outside shot to go pro will leave after this year.

Personally, I'd like to see a rule where a kid can either enter the draft direct from HS, or he has to make at least two year commitment to college.

None & Done, or Two and Done should be the only options.
This kinda feels un-American. Maybe, make it if kid wants to leave after year 1, must repay the scholarship amount.

Let ‘em go. Better for everybody.

I’m opposed to forcing players to stay two years, too. If you have a kid jump to the pros after a year, congrats, you got a year of a very talented player. Count yourself lucky. That player took all of the risk and the university took almost zero risk, while making good money off of him (less true in basketball than football but still true for the marquee programs).

Let the players transfer freely, let them leave, let them do whatever. It’s the only just and fair way to do it. The only reason we think differently is because the NCAA figured out a loophole in the system decades ago and set the status quo.

No. Un-American in the lack of free-choice. If a kid wants to play-in/experience college basketball for 1 year; then, move on the the Pros, they should have that choice.
Then why aren’t you calling for the same for football players?

Let ‘em go. Better for everybody.

I’m opposed to forcing players to stay two years, too. If you have a kid jump to the pros after a year, congrats, you got a year of a very talented player. Count yourself lucky. That player took all of the risk and the university took almost zero risk, while making good money off of him (less true in basketball than football but still true for the marquee programs).

Let the players transfer freely, let them leave, let them do whatever. It’s the only just and fair way to do it. The only reason we think differently is because the NCAA figured out a loophole in the system decades ago and set the status quo.
Sorry but I blame the NBA. They had control over what age, how much they wanted to pay to support young players in a viable developmental feeder system. If the NBA thought it would be a money maker for them, they wouldn’t have hesitated to start a real option for players vs college. As one scout told me about 30 years ago (retired now)- “the NBA isn’t going to spend huge $ to babysit all the kids who positively think they are sure fire NBA talent”.

Personally, I'd like to see a rule where a kid can either enter the draft direct from HS, or he has to make at least two year commitment to college.

But why?

Players have shown that a teen can be successful in the NBA.

No. Un-American in the lack of free-choice. If a kid wants to play-in/experience college basketball for 1 year; then, move on the the Pros, they should have that choice.
What would be wrong with schools making kids sign a contract that makes them stay at least two years? Nobody is forcing anyone to sign that type of agreement, if you enlist in the military you don’t just get up and leave after one year.

Why?

What would be wrong with schools making kids sign a contract that makes them stay at least two years? Nobody is forcing anyone to sign that type of agreement, if you enlist in the military you don’t just get up and leave after one year.
I’m okay with contracts if the schools are paying the players. Scholarships don’t count. If your intended profession is basketball, half of a psychology degree isn’t worth anything.

Ok.

Then I'll just say to the player, come to my school, and you can stay one. Good luck.

I’m okay with contracts if the schools are paying the players. Scholarships don’t count. If your intended profession is basketball, half of a psychology degree isn’t worth anything.
My point is that nobody is forcing anyone to sign a contract, you don’t like the offer then don’t sign.Maybe some people think two free years of school plus a stipend is of some value and maybe some don’t.

The college baseball method, only three years in college unless you turn 21 before the draft

My point is that nobody is forcing anyone to sign a contract, you don’t like the offer then don’t sign.Maybe some people think two free years of school plus a stipend is of some value and maybe some don’t.

The players would he negotiating from the stronger position. In theory, it’s okay. In practice, the schools would be left with, likely or mostly, unenforceable contracts of little value.

The school’s need the players. The players don’t need the schools.

The players would he negotiating from the stronger position. In theory, it’s okay. In practice, the schools would be left with, likely or mostly, unenforceable contracts of little value.

The school’s need the players. The players don’t need the schools.
If the players don’t need the schools then why are going there now?I haven’t got a clue about contracts, but couldn’t the schools have something in the contract where they would be compensated from the individuals that break the contract?

the schools that cant even agree to what conference they are going to be in are going to agree to that?

Seems not very realistic
If they want college sports to continue they better agree on something.