One-And-Done Rule Possibly Ending in 2021 | Syracusefan.com

One-And-Done Rule Possibly Ending in 2021

Woohoo We get Patterson for a year.

If you read the article..you'll see a lot more players going to the g league instead of college ball with a potential 3rd round of drafting and each team getting a d league team.

Woohoo We get Patterson for a year.

If you read the article..you'll see a lot more players going to the g league instead of college ball with a potential 3rd round of drafting and each team getting a d league team.
Yep.

Yogi Berra used to say "if people don't want to come to the ballpark, how are you gonna stop em?"

if kids want to play for pay immediately and be in a basketball minor league rather than be in college, pretending to be students, i'd rather they get their wish. College ball will survive without the handful of NBA prospects who wouldn't come to play for good ol' Alma Mater U. it represents markets that big time sports doesn't go into, like Syracuse. Let the Davises and the Okaflors go and let's build teams with four year players who want degrees.

Last edited:
I think this is the way of all professional sports. US Soccer needs to do this as well. A college education is not for everyone and some young people would be better served by making money while they can and returning to college later in life if they want that education.

For the near term college is still the best avenue for exposure but I doubt that stays the case.

If the NBA wants to help the NCAA (not saying it does or it should) then a rule that you can't go to the G league unless drafted or NCAA eligibility has expired would be needed. Also, make all HS seniors draftable, but they can opt out, even if drafted.

Watch - one or two high profile-ish college coaches will become G-League coaches, assuming this happens.

Your move, NCAA.

No excuses.
I totally disagree. It’s never been the NCAA’s move. All of this, starting with “the hardship draft” of the 70s to OAD, has been done to the NCAA and not by the NCAA. OAD is established in the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement, not NCAA rules. In all of this, the entire NCAA structure from the headquarters in India-noplace to the worst team in D-3 is told by the owners and players to shut up and keep feeding players into the NBA system. Now, with all that said, the NCAA needs to encumber scholarships for 4 years as a deterrent to early departure, but no school in D-1 would vote for that.

I totally disagree. It’s never been the NCAA’s move. All of this, starting with “the hardship draft” of the 70s to OAD, has been done to the NCAA and not by the NCAA. OAD is established in the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement, not NCAA rules. In all of this, the entire NCAA structure from the headquarters in India-noplace to the worst team in D-3 is told by the owners and players to shut up and keep feeding players into the NBA system. Now, with all that said, the NCAA needs to encumber scholarships for 4 years as a deterrent to early departure, but no school in D-1 would vote for that.
Oh yeah, well, I disagree.:cool:

It has always been the NCAA's move, but they've openly voiced that they refuse to control what they can control and instead blame external factors.

Assuming the NBA goes this route, the NBA isn't doing it because it helps college hoops. They're doing it because it helps them.

So, NCAA, if the NBA is taking one of the external factors off the table you complained about, you can't complain about it anymore, but more importantly, what are you going to do about it?

Spoiler alert - they wouldn't take a pay cut.

I had the good fortune to talk to a guy who actually played in the G League this week. It's been a few years, but what he described - coaches refusing call ups for players, players tanking when they knew there was no future, players just needing to get theirs, crappy practice facilities, crappy travel and hotels, per diems blended with game checks (not sure why that matters), bad training, coaches that did whatever they could to get a real NBA job, etc sounded rather bleak.

I had the good fortune to talk to a guy who actually played in the G League this week. It's been a few years, but what he described - coaches refusing call ups for players, players tanking when they knew there was no future, players just needing to get theirs, crappy practice facilities, crappy travel and hotels, per diems blended with game checks (not sure why that matters), bad training, coaches that did whatever they could to get a real NBA job, etc sounded rather bleak.
I also know two people that played in the GLeague that had much more positive experiences.

Look, people just need to be careful what they wish for here. If the NBA goes down this road, and it looks like they are, they're going to do it right. There is an element of zero sum here. The better the GLeague gets at developing players, it will impact college basketball.

I also know two people that played in the GLeague that had much more positive experiences.

Look, people just need to be careful what they wish for here. If the NBA goes down this road, and it looks like they are, they're going to do it right. There is an element of zero sum here. The better the GLeague gets at developing players, it will impact college basketball.

I guess everyone has a different pain point.

The G League seems a long way away from developing guys on the whole like baseball does, which has a longer life cycle than hoops in a lot of ways. To use a baseball analogy it seems more stocked with AAAA guys than Bryce Harpers or Jan Sotos. Bills01 says it far better than I do.

Personally if kids don't want to go to college and go this route so be it.

To the point of college coaches going to the G-League the coach at UMass makes 995K before camps and anything else.

The colleges could help themselves a little bit by allowing players who go back to school to get their degrees to play for the college's team if they didn't use up their eligibility before turning pro. Going back to school could be a way to simultaneously restart your basketball career and get a degree that could help you in your post basketball career.

The colleges could help themselves a little bit by allowing players who go back to school to get their degrees to play for the college's team if they didn't use up their eligibility before turning pro. Going back to school could be a way to simultaneously restart your basketball career and get a degree that could help you in your post basketball career.
That's radical and I like it. The idea of like a 30 year old playing college hoops is kind of awesome.

That's radical and I like it. The idea of like a 30 year old playing college hoops is kind of awesome.

wrong sport but go with me here

necessary-roughness

30 year olds go back to school to enhance their education and careers all the time. Why not allow them to do it in sports, too? And some of them might be 25 year olds.

I think this is the way of all professional sports. US Soccer needs to do this as well. A college education is not for everyone and some young people would be better served by making money while they can and returning to college later in life if they want that education.

For the near term college is still the best avenue for exposure but I doubt that stays the case.
US Soccer has been doing this forever. There are 15-18 year old kids on professional contracts currently playing in MLS, and homegrown academy kids can leave college and go sign with their pro team whenever they want.

The situations aren't really comparable.

The jury is still out on whether the G-League can become better at developing talent for the NBA than the NCAA. There are arguments to be made on both sides. But I don't think it will ever be as strong a brand as the NCAA.

The jury is still out on whether the G-League can become better at developing talent for the NBA than the NCAA. There are arguments to be made on both sides. But I don't think it will ever be as strong a brand as the NCAA.
It doesn't need to be as strong a brand to develop players effectively.

Plus, people criticize Coach Cal and say that maybe he isn't that great developing talent, he just gets guys destined for the NBA. Would the GLeague do worse with those same guys?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom