One Billion Dollars-no winner!!! | Syracusefan.com

One Billion Dollars-no winner!!!

If making multiple purchases, the best strategy (aside from not playing at all) is to choose your own numbers, rather than let system randomly choose. I only play when it's over a billion, so it'll be my second time ever.

Will use same 5 numbers for all, but use different bonus numbers for each. Randomizing everything just spreads everything out too much.

If making multiple purchases, the best strategy (aside from not playing at all) is to choose your own numbers, rather than let system randomly choose. I only play when it's over a billion, so it'll be my second time ever.

Will use same 5 numbers for all, but use different bonus numbers for each. Randomizing everything just spreads everything out too much.
The odds of winning - or of any particular number coming up - are the same for each draw regardless of whether someone picks them or they're randomly generated. (Although I did see an article by a multi-time lottery winner saying you should choose your numbers).

But, a BIG caveat: I took statistics at SU so I could be completely wrong.

The odds of winning - or of any particular number coming up - are the same for each draw regardless of whether someone picks them or they're randomly generated. (Although I did see an article by a multi-time lottery winner saying you should choose your numbers).

You said "caveat," so at least you took English.

I took economic statistics at Cuse and was the toughest course ever

It’s just because I forgot to play yesterday. I’ll remember to get a ticket for the next drawing. Someone else is guaranteed to win then.

I believe that random generated (quick pick) has won the most times.

My grandmother won 86k with random generated numbers. And she normally picks her own so that fact that she won on a quick pick was surprising. So generated numbers do pan out

My grandmother won 86k with random generated numbers. And she normally picks her own so that fact that she won on a quick pick was surprising. So generated numbers do pan out

A hearty congrats to Grams.

I didn't say randomly-generated numbers (through their system) didn't pan out - only that self-chosen or held numbers have a slightly better chance, according to some studies.

Orlando Vega (sp.) the gal that did the lotto for many years, was on Fox last week and said that there were more winners on random generation than chosen entries.

Orlando Vega (sp.) the gal that did the lotto for many years, was on Fox last week and said that there were more winners on random generation than chosen entries.
Yolanda. I met her once in person and told her that I always wanted to stand there with her as she handed me a big check so she mailed me an autographed photo wishing me a whole lotto luck. I thought that was nice of her.

Well there may be more winners from random generated numbers because more tickets are purchased by people using random generated number process.

While I think the odds would be the same, the problem with picking your own are they are more likely to be used by other people and you would have to split your winnings, so your expected payout may be lower. For instance, if you use your birth day, birth year, or such to make a memorable number, the odds may be increased that someone else uses that particular number as their lucky numbers and would split the pot.

Splitting a $1,600,000,000 jackpot with 1 or 2 others would be the most horrible thing ever.

If you're Bill Gates.

Splitting a $1,600,000,000 jackpot with 1 or 2 others would be the most horrible thing ever.

If you're Bill Gates.
Please don't use the $1.6 billion hyped marketing number. It's only $905 million.

The $1.6 billion is the annuity equivalent. The government would make private companies change their number if they tried to advertise that nonsense.