One good thing about opening with Louisville | Syracusefan.com

One good thing about opening with Louisville

ECE '76

Scout Team
SU has been dominated by Louisville since UL joined the ACC. SU is 1-7 in 8 games; all 7 were horrendous, non-competitive loses. Point differentials in the losses: 38, 30, 32, 46!, 40, 24, 22. 3TDs minimum. Add in the embarrassment of Lamar Jackson's all time highlight of leaping an SU defender grabbing at air for a TD in the Dome.

How can opening vs them be a good thing? Well there is absolutely no reason SU should be "saving" anything in this game for later in the season. SU needs the full offense installed and every trickeration on offense and special teams ready to be executed. If there is some new WR with burning speed, he needs to be playing not waiting to get ready. The team needs to play with discipline; there's no room for opening day mistakes like dumb penalties and turnovers. No more bloviation about baking cakes, the cake is not done yet, and the offense will be really good 4 games into next season games. These coaches need to have their stuff together and have this team prepared on day 1 this time, or it's another blowout.

It's hard to say our defense has ever played well against UL either. Look at those scores. The games were largely over a halftime. I hope White has been figuring out how to reverse that for the last 8 months. The sad thing is, UL went 6-7 and 4-7 over the last two years - not a juggernaut.

Some bad news is, UL plays UVa every year. They are well aware of what Anae does. One thing SU has not been able to do vs UL, is establish a run game, run the clock (antithesis of Dino's philosophy), shorten the game and minimize Malik Cunningham's touches.

I went back and watched last years game. Ouch. That was a beat down. Totally non competitive. I had forgotten Mikel got thrown out for targeting. 3-3-5 was absolutely gashed by that Oline and Satterfields spread option. Hope the boys find some revenge Friday night.

I went back and watched last years game. Ouch. That was a beat down. Totally non competitive. I had forgotten Mikel got thrown out for targeting. 3-3-5 was absolutely gashed by that Oline and Satterfields spread option. Hope the boys find some revenge Friday night.
That’s what concerns me. They gashed us with a veteran DL which is now young and unproven. I don’t even recall Cunningham needing to do anything other than handoff and do playaction over the top when the safeties bit hard. It all screams losing the line of scrimmage.

If someone has the stomach to rewatch that atrocity can you break down what went wrong?

That’s what concerns me. They gashed us with a veteran DL which is now young and unproven. I don’t even recall Cunningham needing to do anything other than handoff and do playaction over the top when the safeties bit hard. It all screams losing the line of scrimmage.

If someone has the stomach to rewatch that atrocity can you break down what went wrong?
I am not the expert other people on here are but I saw tackles and guards erasing all three SU linebackers. Safety play was atrocious. Barron, Coley, Simmons and Greenwood missed tackles and got beat all day. There was no pressure from the front three outside of Roscoe.
Reasons for hope? Mikel Jones is a dog. He is pissed off about last year.
I really like Caleb O and Lockett. I truly believe they are a better fit than Williams and Black. Can Linton and Geer rush the passer?
Give Bailey credit for this but I expect Stefon Thompson to be the leader in sacks at the end of the year. I could see him getting 8-10.
Let’s go Orange.

You're making Louisville out to be Alabama. They've gone 10-14 the last 2 seasons. They've been very beatable. We don't need to do anything special to beat them. We have to play disciplined football with intensity and not panic if they score first or get ahead by 2 scores. U of L has shown a propensity to beat themselves. We just need to let that happen by not beating ourselves first.

Maybe Dino needs to pull a Ted Lasso and show the team last year's beat down at 10x speed with the Benny Hill theme playing in the background to get over it.

I cant stress this enough but they lost a really big receiver that was insanely good. Lville reloads but from what I read their running game isn't going to be as good as last year and they're banking heavily on transfers replacing what was lost.

It'll be tough but the spread is 4, this won't be a blowout either way.

Hopefully, the boys get what they need Friday night at midnight...and then kick some arse on Saturday night! ;)

Last edited:
I cant stress this enough but they lost a really big receiver that was insanely good. Lville reloads but from what I read their running game isn't going to be as good as last year and they're banking heavily on transfers replacing what was lost.

I wonder if one of their many rbs will have a good game, against his former coach.

You don’t hold anything back if you’re not winning the game.

If you’re up by 29 and you want to go vanilla and hold something back, great.

But if you need to draw up a new play or defensive scheme on the last drive to win the game, then you do it.

WIN. Do whatever you need to do to win this game.

You don’t hold anything back if you’re not winning the game.

If you’re up by 29 and you want to go vanilla and hold something back, great.

But if you need to draw up a new play or defensive scheme on the last drive to win the game, then you do it.

WIN. Do whatever you need to do to win this game.
Dino needs to just let Anae and Beck do what they were brought here for. Let them run the offense, like White runs the defense and just be the CEO, and talk to the refs.

If we have tightened up specials, penalties and clock management from last year, the sky is the limit. Last year was like driving the Ferrari with the doors open, and pulling an RV. Anyone who rolls in on Saturday is getting an L.

Yet somehow we’ll roll out a limited playbook to “save” something for the rest of the season. Coaches are predictable animals.
Yeah, don’t think so.

Well heck, that alone seems like a win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom