One Good Thing About This Loss... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One Good Thing About This Loss...

You might want to watch the replay. That want the problem.

Are you saying their hands up isn't accurate or are you saying having Buddy and JGIII at the top of the zone is not part of our problem?

Are you saying their hands up isn't accurate or are you saying having Buddy and JGIII at the top of the zone is not part of our problem?

I’m saying them “not having their hands up” wasnt the problem people want to make it.

When you get outscored at home 95-63 over the last 32ish minutes of the game by a Patriot League team(even a good one like Colgate), you have a hell of a lot to fix. Can they? Maybe. But, when you look at the upcoming gauntlet (likely Baylor followed by either Auburn/U Conn/Michigan State), and then Indiana, Florida State and Villanova, we better figure things out pretty fast.

I think one thing Colgate could teach our squad is on the importance of sharing the basketball. We are terrible at passing and moving without the ball. Count the number of turn around jump shots off multiple dribbles we took as compared to Colgate. Sharing the ball in the half court set is not, and has not been, a strength in years. We don't have the personnel to get easy buckets off the dribble, and we need to help each other. Marek has been the sole half court distributor in the last few years.
As for hustling - Buddy was tired and like all scorers his defensive effort is always impacted by his O and in the 2nd half he was struggling on that end. Not acceptable but it is what it is, especially when you are the Alpha scorer (and the coach is your Dad).

Team ball is fun, but everybody has to buy into their role also. Once Cole gets going we will have 3/4's of it down, but for now we need some angry Matchup zone from a few players, not just zone. Just a guess, it will start with Jessie (hes playing like a sophomore, this team, needs a sophmore who wants to be elite, or a Jr leadership mentality). Give it some time.

Last edited:
We need a lead ball handler that can break down defenses off the dribble and attacking the rim both with a screen and without one.

Our defense isn’t good.

We will win if we can get our defense to be serviceable and/or have a few guys hitting their jumpers (so it’s not just a Joe carrying the load or just a Buddy, for example). We can win games just our scoring teams for sure.

Separately, Buddy needs to be the center of gravity for our team on offense in terms of getting looks. Always.

We're just really slow and you can't teach speed.

Basically, we're like an investment portfolio that is entirely invested in one asset... three point shooting. If that asset is performing well, we probably win. If it isn't performing well, we probably lose.

Captain Obvious here, but we need a more diversified portfolio in the form of a low-post threat or an athletic guard who can dribble drive when shots aren't falling.

I know the season is very young but I'm praying that someone like Symir can come around and be that ball handling athlete we desperately need.
they couldnt get the 3s. they couldnt get open. that might be a problem for a team designed to be a three point army.

they couldnt get the 3s. they couldnt get open. that might be a problem for a team designed to be a three point army.
Pretty much all of my concerns coming into the year that a lot of this board dismissed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom