One of our biggest problems on defense | Syracusefan.com

One of our biggest problems on defense

Alsacs

Living Legend
Our defensive backs and slot defenders give a cushion even on 3rd and short.
To get stops on 3rd down we need to be playing more closely and press coverage.
Jam WRs get them off their pass routes.
Josh Jackson was throwing to wide open receivers the entire game. I get the DL could have put more pressure but we got to stop with the soft coverage.
Now against Clemson I get giving a cushion since it’s NFL QB and NFL skill position talent.
College QBs aren’t accurate like pro coaches make these guys throw into smaller windows.

That was a major problem from last week.
I believe Dino will get the offense clicking.

we allowed some very simple patterns on big 3rd downs.. the TEs just ran a curled. the Slot WR just ran a simple out.. the one late TD was just a simple release to the back corner.. none of those took any talent.

the deep slants and other routes they hit were actually pretty decent coverage. I think some of it was guys worried about the RPO and looking into the backfield..

if you dont take away the simple stuff on 3rd down passes you never get the rush to have a chance.

We lost by 40 playing soft and allowed quick drives.. Cant see us playing that soft again.. it may turn into the UL game from the Jackson highlight reel but at least that was guys making plays.

Josh Jackson was throwing to wide open receivers the entire game. I get the DL could have put more pressure but we got to stop with the soft coverage.
Now against Clemson I get giving a cushion since it’s NFL QB and NFL skill position talent.
College QBs aren’t accurate like pro coaches make these guys throw into smaller windows.

The running game will need to be much better than it was the first two games. Without a running threat at QB, that will be a tough task.

That was definitely frustrating to watch in the Maryland game, our corners have some size too so we should have forced them to beat us off the line in critical downs

I agree and that’s part of ward not being aggressive and trusting his dB’s. He played soft a ton and u can’t do that against teams like Maryland. I can’t be the only one who feels this way. Ward is conservative a ton.

I agree Alsacs and Clemson has better QB and WR's than Maryland, so this ought to be interesting.

One thing that I always wondered was if teams are getting their D ready for SU and in practice prep for that game, do they notice that when doing so their offense is moving better and they start to speed up their O as well?

Obsessed with not giving up the home run so we get destroyed with the short stuff and across the middle. I expect more of the same this week.

We also blitzed both linebackers at least twice on 3rd and short, and MD threw to a uncovered TE both times for an easy pickup. MD's quick throwing game totally made our blitzing totally ineffective.

Have a great pass rush? Lets make it at least a little challenging and give the receivers a sizeable cushion.

We have athletic db’s and LB’s, its infuriating. How are we supposed to generate a passrush when the wide receivers are wide open for the first 5-10 strides

Have a great pass rush? Lets make it at least a little challenging and give the receivers a sizeable cushion.

We have athletic db’s and LB’s, its infuriating. How are we supposed to generate a passrush when the wide receivers are wide open for the first 5-10 strides
As a dc that’s on ward being soft. We may make changes on offense but we sure as shiiiiiiiiit don’t on defense. Wth is wrong with trying man if if giving them first 8 yds free isn’t workin. That will kill us from here on out. I would do exactly what Maryland did until ward figures it out. He kills me.

Playing off WR's, with Maryland's short route strategy, was one of the aspects that amounted to that lopsided win. If we indeed have quality DB's then we need to play more press coverage and deny the other teams O those easy completions. Opposing coaches will continue that strategy until we adjust, as they should.

We were one of the best teams in the country in 3rd down defense last year. I'm sure we'll be ok. The bigger issue is giving up 5 yards on first down.

I'm guessing Ward had the DB's playing like that because of the RPO. Not saying it was or wasn't the right move but in a defensive system like this, the goal is to force the defense to slowly go down the field in order to score. This creates more opportunities for TO's, FG's instead of TD's, or just getting stops. Now that didn't happen, we gave up big play after big play. I'm guessing the original game plan was that some of our D is still pretty young. The DB's in this system are expected to play the run as well as the pass. They can't play the run if they are in M2M coverage, playing the DB's off the WR's allows them (in theory) to see the whole field and make plays when it doesn't involve their 1st responsibility.

Again, it didn't work. Nor am I saying I agree or disagree with the logic but from the Cover 2 theories fairly well I'm guessing this is what they thought would work the best leading in to the game. That's what they practiced, spent time discussing, etc. Once in the game it was obvious it wasn't working and very possibly why we saw almost no adjustments. You tell "kids" all week this is what you're going to do in this situation, young players, you can't just alter their entire assignment philosophy on the fly in the middle of the game.

We were one of the best teams in the country in 3rd down defense last year. I'm sure we'll be ok. The bigger issue is giving up 5 yards on first down.

Exactly they didn’t create favorable down and distance. This defense as currently constructed is never going to win 3rd and 2, they just aren’t

I am not as sold as everyone else seems to be on our secondary being loaded. Liberty had people open too, their QB was just bad.

Playing off WR's, with Maryland's short route strategy, was one of the aspects that amounted to that lopsided win. If we indeed have quality DB's then we need to play more press coverage and deny the other teams O those easy completions. Opposing coaches will continue that strategy until we adjust, as they should.
You should listen to this guy, he had an entire section named after him. Twice

I am not as sold as everyone else seems to be on our secondary being loaded. Liberty had people open too, their QB was just bad.

Yep it was all one big lie to sell tickets

Yep it was all one big lie to sell tickets
Yes good secondary play is one of the leading links to increase ticket sales. Take your pompous attitude and spin.

ITS NOT THE PLAYERS.

U are correct. Let’s hope things change today. If not we should be looking for new DC.

Overreaction. If the defense is bad against the #1 team in the country it doesn’t tell us that much. Our future ACC games will tell us far more about our team then what we do against Clemson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom