One of our own needs some help | Syracusefan.com

One of our own needs some help

llandz

Living Legend
I'm going to put 2 links here. Many on here know this person. Actually Consigliere and I are 2 people who have been guiding her. She has served on the SU athletics board and has 2 of her degrees from SU along with a law degree from NE College of law. She dug a hole for herself and is getting out of being homeless. She ended up this way by taking care of her nephews and nieces after tragedy took away one of their parents, and the others needed her assistance. She is also now taking care of her nephew and helping to make sure he finishes high school. She has relocated from Dallas to Rochester, and has set her and her nephew up in a 1 bedroom apartment. She has no money, no job yet (if anyone knows anything in Rochester, she has a law degree and a masters degree from Newhouse and worked in sports management, but could be a paralegal until she can take a bar exam in a year or two), no car etc. You can read her notes on her Go Fund me, and she also has an Amazon wish list of things to help get her and her nephew set up. She is the kindest person who would give everything of herself to others, and this is exactly what she did to get in this situation. You will see her name in the Go Fund Me, but many here can vouch for her. Any small amount would help. Just skip one Starbucks coffee and donate that money.

Done.. and so glad you guys are helping and appreciate sharing. Is there anything SU would do to promote or in sharing this as well? Assuming yall have looked at that already but just curious.
I gave, very worthy cause. I wish I could have given as much as that guy Anonymous. He's like the Everyready Bunny. He just keeps on giving.

Done.. and so glad you guys are helping and appreciate sharing. Is there anything SU would do to promote or in sharing this as well? Assuming yall have looked at that already but just curious.
Some there had been involved, especially when she first got to Syracuse. But she has to stay in Rochester right now to provide the help. She comes from a very broken family, and she is the only one who was able to pull herself up, and now she is helping a troubled teen nephew to head in the right direction and finish high school. She also is the guiding person for her younger nieces and nephews, as young as 6. So she is putting family first, while trying to get her feet under herself. It is a lofty goal, and she is struggling. It is hard to come so far, just to fall so far. But it happens, and I give her a lot of credit for what she is doing.
ps...yesterday was her 35th birthday...

I'm going to put 2 links here. Many on here know this person. Actually Consigliere and I are 2 people who have been guiding her. She has served on the SU athletics board and has 2 of her degrees from SU along with a law degree from NE College of law. She dug a hole for herself and is getting out of being homeless. She ended up this way by taking care of her nephews and nieces after tragedy took away one of their parents, and the others needed her assistance. She is also now taking care of her nephew and helping to make sure he finishes high school. She has relocated from Dallas to Rochester, and has set her and her nephew up in a 1 bedroom apartment. She has no money, no job yet (if anyone knows anything in Rochester, she has a law degree and a masters degree from Newhouse and worked in sports management, but could be a paralegal until she can take a bar exam in a year or two), no car etc. You can read her notes on her Go Fund me, and she also has an Amazon wish list of things to help get her and her nephew set up. She is the kindest person who would give everything of herself to others, and this is exactly what she did to get in this situation. You will see her name in the Go Fund Me, but many here can vouch for her. Any small amount would help. Just skip one Starbucks coffee and donate that money.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Syracusefan is a terrific community.

Some there had been involved, especially when she first got to Syracuse. But she has to stay in Rochester right now to provide the help. She comes from a very broken family, and she is the only one who was able to pull herself up, and now she is helping a troubled teen nephew to head in the right direction and finish high school. She also is the guiding person for her younger nieces and nephews, as young as 6. So she is putting family first, while trying to get her feet under herself. It is a lofty goal, and she is struggling. It is hard to come so far, just to fall so far. But it happens, and I give her a lot of credit for what she is doing.
ps...yesterday was her 35th birthday...

Understood. I have not had the pleasure to meet her at an SU event but know exactly who it is. Hopefully she can get back on her feet and things sorted out after all she has given for others.

Linda, you have done such a good deed to post this here and to do what you can to help this person. It’s awful to think about how many are out there, but I am awed and humbled by this woman’s generosity of spirit and self-sacrifice.

Thank you.

I will help because I know what it’s like to struggle. After working in federal law enforcement for 11 years, I became disabled at end of ‘20. My agency failed to provide me with a reasonable accommodation, so I had to apply for FERS. Well it was 2 years without a paycheck because I could physically not work and was waiting for disability. Fortunately, I have a great family and didn’t have to live in my truck. I won a settlement against my former agency for back pay due to disability discrimination. They can F off.
Hopefully that’s not TMI haha.

I have set her up with SU and she is discussing potential opportunities within the Athleic Department with more meetings on the docket, but nothing imminent.

Nothing I can add that llandz hasn’t already mentioned, but a heartbreaking story and a fervent alum and fan who appreciates any help she can get.

I have set her up with SU and she is discussing potential opportunities within the Athleic Department with more meetings on the docket, but nothing imminent.

Nothing I can add that llandz hasn’t already mentioned, but a heartbreaking story and a fervent alum and fan who appreciates any help she can get.

Awesome stuff and appreciate you sharing.

I will help because I know what it’s like to struggle. After working in federal law enforcement for 11 years, I became disabled at end of ‘20. My agency failed to provide me with a reasonable accommodation, so I had to apply for FERS. Well it was 2 years without a paycheck because I could physically not work and was waiting for disability. Fortunately, I have a great family and didn’t have to live in my truck. I won a settlement against my former agency for back pay due to disability discrimination. They can F off.
Hopefully that’s not TMI haha.
Not surprised at all. Federal and state agencies are often the worst with this stuff because it’s so hard to sue them some times. Glad you fought back. I’m helping my mom with a state level issue that’s been going on for years. People suck.

One of the stories my dad told me about his childhood was Christmas when he was 10 years old. His family was poor and it was an especially bad year, so he knew he wasn’t getting presents and probably not much to eat. But their local church and the Salvation Army dropped off a food box and presents for him and his three siblings Christmas morning, and they felt like they won the lottery. He told me that as he explained why he always donated generously to the Salvation Army every year.

He also used to tell me to “always help out people in need, although I hope you never find out how much it means”. So I’ll take my dad’s advice and contribute to this good cause - if nothing else I know it would mean a lot to him if he were still around.

You all are the best. She did not even know I was going to post this here. Someone else on our board suggested it a couple of weeks ago, and I was hesitant because she has only promoted her Go Fund me a total of 3 times, and today was the last time she was going to put it on her social media. She is a very proud person, and asking for help has been a difficult thing to do. I was afraid she would be upset that I did this, but I think she is overwhelmed and a bit surprised.
So, THANK YOU!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom