One of the great days at the Dome | Syracusefan.com

One of the great days at the Dome

SWC75

Bored Historian
Looking through some old E-mails I found this link of highlights of one of our greatest wins I sent to a friend in Durham:

Yes, that's John Gillon breaking Jayson Tatum's ankles and Taurean Thompson attacking the basket and Tyler Lydon posting up Grayson Allen and, of course that shot at the end as Matt Park goes crazy. Tyus Battle had game and there's Tyler Roberson sighting. I which we had a guy like Andrew White now. The last nine years has been frustrating but there certainly has been highlights and this was definitely one of them!

Last edited:
Even though we didn't go to the tourney, 2016-17 had some very exciting moments. Two walk-off buzzer beaters vs. Duke and Clemson. That miracle win at NC State when Gillon made that rainbow shot to send it to OT. And a few other furious comebacks that just came up short vs. Louisville and Ga Tech.

And we didn't realize at the time (or maybe we did) that we were seeing a future Top 5 player in the league in Tatum.

I just can't get my head around how Andrew White never could crack an NBA roster with his offensive ability.

Looking through some old E-mails I found this link of highlights of one of our greatest wins I sent to a friend in Durham:

Yes, that's John Gillon breaking Jayson Tatum's ankles and Taurean Thompson attacking the basket and Tyler Lyson posting up Grayson Allen and, of course that shot at the end as Matt Park goes crazy. The last nine years has been frustrating but there certianly has bene highlights and htis was definately one of the,!

Fun video

Even though we didn't go to the tourney, 2016-17 had some very exciting moments. Two walk-off buzzer beaters vs. Duke and Clemson. That miracle win at NC State when Gillon made that rainbow shot to send it to OT. And a few other furious comebacks that just came up short vs. Louisville and Ga Tech.

And we didn't realize at the time (or maybe we did) that we were seeing a future Top 5 player in the league in Tatum.

I just can't get my head around how Andrew White never could crack an NBA roster with his offensive ability.

2017 should have been in the Big Dance, (2007 and 1981, as well.)

Yes, that's John Gillon breaking Jayson Tatum's ankles and Taurean Thompson attacking the basket and Tyler Lyson posting up Grayson Allen and, of course that shot at the end as Matt Park goes crazy. Tyus Battle had game and there's Tyler Roberson sighting. I which we had a guy like Andrew White now. The last nine years has been frustrating but there certainly has been highlights and this was definitely one of them!

It was a shame that team took so long to find their footing.

White was absolutely awesome on offense, but he couldn’t guard anyone.

After the first-semester train wreck, that squad really brought it like none other for the big home weekend games. A couple of top-ten wins and Boeheim's real 1,000th win. Lot of fun.

The home win over Virginia to give Boeheim 1,000 was incredible too.

The home win over Virginia to give Boeheim 1,000 was incredible too.
I had the good fortune to attend the Florida St., UVA and Duke games that year. Three wins, three great games against top ten teams! As for the Duke game, I remember being so very impressed with Jayson Tatum - just so smooth and so incredibly athletic. When Gillon hit the game winner I remember watching the entire student section pour onto the court while everyone cheered for what seemed like ten minutes straight.
Great day indeed!

Last edited:
I had the good fortune to attend the Florida St., UVA and Duke games that year. Three wins against top ten teams! As for the Duke game, I remember being so very impressed with Jayson Tatum - just so smooth and so incredibly athletic. When Gillon hit the game winner I remember watching the entire student section pour onto the court while everyone cheered for what seemed like ten minutes straight.
Great day indeed!
I was in NC visiting family for that Duke game and watched it at a bar that many Cuse fans frequented. I think UNC played next so a bunch of their fans were there too, and they were all rooting against Duke. The place went nuts on that shot. Good times.

I remember sitting in the upper level of the student section and when i saw the ball hit the backboard, it didn’t even click to me that it went in lol

I miss that SU doesn't use Matt Park's radio calls on the highlights anymore (don't @ me).

For the past several years, all the highlights use the TV announcers. Must be an ACC thing.
Listen sometime to the Ennis 40 footer to beat Pitt at the Pete and listen to Jim Satalin. I thought he was having a heart attack, just a long, unintelligible outburst of sound. It's great.

Gillon is one of my favorite 'Cuse players ever. He was here for one season and we played in the NIT.

Do you know how special your special moments have to be for that to happen? Crazy

Listen sometime to the Ennis 40 footer to beat Pitt at the Pete and listen to Jim Satalin. I thought he was having a heart attack, just a long, unintelligible outburst of sound. It's great.

Watching Gillon penetrate at will on a team of future NBA players and score against much taller players gets me excited to watch Mintz, Starling and Westry this year.

Having three guys who can really get to the basket on the court simultaneously is going to be amazing after years of plodding basketball.

But the granddaddy of all the "SU announcer goes crazy" clips is still the one at the beginning of this documentary:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom