one take away from the season | Syracusefan.com

one take away from the season

upperdeck

Living Legend
with no elite home run threats or any running game at all we were able to win the 2nd half of every game against the Elite defenses when the games were on the line.. That didnt lead to the points we needed but we also didnt have to deviate from our offense to do it. Clemson we took it down the field to win. FSU we went 60 yds with under 2 min and just ran out of time to finish it for a TD. LSU we scored on the last drive that it mattered, miami we scored on the last drive when it mattered and NC st we scored on the last drive when it mattered.. the key in all the games were early TOs and several games missed FGs, but in all but one game it was the lack of running game that really led to issues. a couple games we had late chances to win/tie and didnt get it done. but we spotted all these teams pts, dug the hole lost the TO game and the Fg game and still had a chance to get it done.

even with the oline blocking issues if we had just a bit more threat from the RB position you have to think 4-5 plays a game go better and sometimes that all matters.

no play says it more than the last FSU drive 2nd down they run to the left, we blow it up with pressure, the RB instead of turning it up for a 1-2 yd loss, bounces it outside and not only turns the corner but makes 3-4 yds.. just elite speed on a blown play.. instead of 3 and 6 and maybe a pass they can run the sneak that almost cost them the game.. if Strickland does that its a 6-7 yd loss. We seldom turn nothing into something from anyone except ED.. We dont turn 7yd passes into 20 by making people miss, those plays add up.. I think Phillips had 3-4 seem routes with no safety that he didnt make because he lacks that half a step. I think someone like Johnson makes those plays next yr if he can catch the ball. ISH can get even with DBs but he cant get by them, that leads to physical play and often nice catches but seldom easy plays.

We went from no shots in these games, right past one one punch knockout chances, all the way to 15 rd decisions in just over a year.. thats crazy development in play and attitude without huge turnover in talent, just effort and scheme.

now we see if the talent is on the uptick, we were able to sit much of it, some really good athletes in multiple spots not forced to play too soon..

lets finish off the year with 2 wins..

I can only say I disagree with one thing u said. Let's win all three and shock people.

Says a lot about our QB.

When his day comes, he’s not going to get the senior day send off that McNabb received (not sure that can ever be duplicated), but he should get a good one.

He lays it all on the line for this program.

with no elite home run threats or any running game at all we were able to win the 2nd half of every game against the Elite defenses when the games were on the line.. That didnt lead to the points we needed but we also didnt have to deviate from our offense to do it. Clemson we took it down the field to win. FSU we went 60 yds with under 2 min and just ran out of time to finish it for a TD. LSU we scored on the last drive that it mattered, miami we scored on the last drive when it mattered and NC st we scored on the last drive when it mattered.. the key in all the games were early TOs and several games missed FGs, but in all but one game it was the lack of running game that really led to issues. a couple games we had late chances to win/tie and didnt get it done. but we spotted all these teams pts, dug the hole lost the TO game and the Fg game and still had a chance to get it done.

even with the oline blocking issues if we had just a bit more threat from the RB position you have to think 4-5 plays a game go better and sometimes that all matters.

no play says it more than the last FSU drive 2nd down they run to the left, we blow it up with pressure, the RB instead of turning it up for a 1-2 yd loss, bounces it outside and not only turns the corner but makes 3-4 yds.. just elite speed on a blown play.. instead of 3 and 6 and maybe a pass they can run the sneak that almost cost them the game.. if Strickland does that its a 6-7 yd loss. We seldom turn nothing into something from anyone except ED.. We dont turn 7yd passes into 20 by making people miss, those plays add up.. I think Phillips had 3-4 seem routes with no safety that he didnt make because he lacks that half a step. I think someone like Johnson makes those plays next yr if he can catch the ball. ISH can get even with DBs but he cant get by them, that leads to physical play and often nice catches but seldom easy plays.

We went from no shots in these games, right past one one punch knockout chances, all the way to 15 rd decisions in just over a year.. thats crazy development in play and attitude without huge turnover in talent, just effort and scheme.

now we see if the talent is on the uptick, we were able to sit much of it, some really good athletes in multiple spots not forced to play too soon..

lets finish off the year with 2 wins..

Yaaaawwwnnn...another thread waiting for wr recruiting to get better hoping we have a home run hitter some day. Lets revisit this thread next year when the team takes the field in September without Ish and Erv. Ish has gotten behind the best of the ACC all year. Dont know what you got til its gone...

I guess i need glassed I havent seen him get past 1 DB yet this year.. There is a reason he has more PI calls against him than for him.. He plays to contact well, that isnt running by people. His Strength is short routes and winning 50/50s

Do you watch other games at all? Every team we played this year had DBs faster than our WR and WR faster than our DBs. We confuse coverage sometimes but we dont run by anyone. LSU ran by us for a TD, FSU ran by us for a TD, Miami ran by us for a TD. i dont expect to have 4-5 guys who can make those plays, but other teams do. FSU RB outran our team, Clemson RB outran our team, LSU Rb outran our team, NC states kids outran our team.

As a team I think we played as good or better than all the teams we played this year, but sometimes talent trumps talent and the coach has made that pt in PCs more than once.. We need 11 to play together to overcome the talent issues. its been years since we had the speed on anyone.

The one takeaway I have from this season is that Dungy is the difference between this team being as good as last year offensively versus this team being worse. His running is the difference every time. And yes - very spirited and determined as well. Without him at the helm none of the rest of the offense works as well.

I actually like Mahoney a lot, think he is really talented and a great backup, but when he sits in the pocket other teams just murder us on defense. Not that we've seen a lot of Zach this year, it was just a tough outing for him this weekend.

The one takeaway I have from this season is that Dungy is the difference between this team being as good as last year offensively versus this team being worse. His running is the difference every time. And yes - very spirited and determined as well. Without him at the helm none of the rest of the offense works as well.

I actually like Mahoney a lot, think he is really talented and a great backup, but when he sits in the pocket other teams just murder us on defense. Not that we've seen a lot of Zach this year, it was just a tough outing for him this weekend.

We cannot win a game with Mahoney. Although he deserved to win against Pitt last year with that performance. Dungey is the heart of the offense and the soul of the team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom