One thing was abundantly clear last night… | Syracusefan.com

One thing was abundantly clear last night…

Jake

Mod
It was really evident in person, not sure if it came through on the broadcast, was the (brief) lift in energy when the team went man.

Pretty sure the players want to play M2M. The comments from players post game were frustration from playing the zone.

I don’t want the inmates running the asylum, but it’s definitely a factor that the players don’t believe in the zone. Effort lags once the momentum shifts downward.

Be clear, this is not just a fan/reporter thing with the zone. Though the ovation once fans realized we switched to man last night was epic.

It was really evident in person, not sure if it came through on the broadcast, was the (brief) lift in energy when the team went man.

Pretty sure the players want to play M2M. The comments from players post game were frustration from playing the zone.

I don’t want the inmates running the asylum, but it’s definitely a factor that the players don’t believe in the zone. Effort lags once the momentum shifts downward.

Be clear, this is not just a fan/reporter thing with the zone. Though the ovation once fans realized we switched to man was epic.
Well, they stunk at man too. We just have MAAC talent.

Be clear, this is not just a fan/reporter thing with the zone. Though the ovation once fans realized we switched to man was epic.

Feel like this happened in 2009 as well. The players didn’t really believe in the zone then either.

That team was slightly more talented tbf

Well, they stunk at man too. We just have MAAC talent.

I thought they did OK for not practicing it at all for the entire year. People got lost because they didn't know when and how to switch which lead to a lot of confusion and open people. Communication in man is totally different than zone. I did see a lot of people take the 1 on 1 challenge more serious than sitting in the zone.

I thought they did OK for not practicing it at all for the entire year. People got lost because they didn't know when and how to switch which lead to a lot of confusion and open people. Communication in man is totally different than zone. I did see a lot of people take the 1 on 1 challenge more serious than sitting in the zone.
JB said they’ve been practicing it for weeks.

I agree that the players are not bought in to the zone. But...what the heck did they think they were getting in to coming to Cuse? They knew zone would be the go to D. Although, perhaps Jim promised them more M2M and that's why they tried it early on but he eventually bagged it.

Be clear, this is not just a fan/reporter thing with the zone. Though the ovation once fans realized we switched to man last night was epic.
It's amazing how quickly it all breaks once the average opponent hits some threshold of shooting ability and awareness

We can take as many as we want and hit 35%? Great! Bombs away

You can find a couple other years where teams shoot the same % but they took way fewer shots.

Ten years ago we won 30 games and opponents shot 28% from 3.

Same zone, very different landscape.

It's amazing how quickly it all breaks once the average opponent hits some threshold of shooting ability and awareness

You can find a couple other years where teams shoot the same % but they took way fewer shots.

You think this is the same zone? Lol. What player on this roster plays even close to the defense of anyone on the 10 years ago team. Nonsense.

not to be captain obvious, but to add onto that, we can take as many as we want and if we miss, we get another chance? Great! Just keep shooting. We’ll make it eventually

I saw Symir putting hard effort into it. I didn't notice too many others, though.
if m2m requires more minutes from Symir I may have to pass - I am not sure I have ever seen a Cuse player with worse shots as compared to what he offered. The layup that entirely missed the rim.

E23E3445-61E2-4708-8A35-5D31BD3209C8.jpeg

not to be captain obvious, but to add onto that, we can take as many as we want and if we miss, we get another chance? Great! Just keep shooting. We’ll make it eventually

...which is why defensive FG% is one of the most irrelevant stats.

When we force three stops, but give up three offensive rebounds that gives the opposing team additional chances to score, and they score on the fourth attempt -- it's 25% DFG, but still a net result of 2 points.

And a VERY different level of talent.

They haven’t been properly coached in man. Jury is out. You don’t think tony Bennett can get those guys to play at a respectable level?
Nope, don’t think he can.

Judah is solid, but he’s a good player on an awful team who has the ball in his hands all the time. For as athletic as he is he puts zero effort in defense, he would play 10 minutes a game in Virginia if he put that effort out.

Joe couldn’t play for him.

Benny doesn’t play any defense.

Bell isn’t going to be anything but a 35% or less spot up shooter who can do literally nothing else.

Brown could play, he always plays with effort with good defense, don’t think his offense is good, but he’d probably get some minutes.

Taylor, played with Bennetts son and Bennet still didn’t want him.

I’m not even going to mention anyone else, it’s pointless, but I think I have a valid point.

Different effort. When you are 6 feet in front of a shooter, how much effort does it take to close.

I liken it to the fans cheering when the no. 2 quarterback comes in; until they realize there is a reason he’s no. 2. These guys just stink at defense.

Agree that there was more energy for a minute or two.

If the players didn’t realize they were going to be playing zone at SU then they were either lied to, or they’re not very bright.

Also, most of these players would fit it nicely on a MAAC team.

I saw Symir putting hard effort into it. I didn't notice too many others, though.

Yes Symir did play hard man and is the only kid on the team who can play man.

You think this is the same zone? Lol. What player on this roster plays even close to the defense of anyone on the 10 years ago team. Nonsense.
Yes, the players are different. I didn't think it was important to point that out. What boeheim is trying to do isn't different

Ten years ago teams didn't have a bunch of guys who could shoot 35%

Yes, the players are different. I didn't think it was important to point that out. What boeheim is trying to do isn't different
It’s the players who make the zone though, this zone is 100% different than the other zones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom