One way the Portal has changed the world of transfers | Syracusefan.com

One way the Portal has changed the world of transfers

cuseincincy

All Conference
I can't really ever remember players "transferring up" unless they were going from a JUCO to a 4 year school. Lateral all the time, downward all the time. But nobody transferred from a MAC school to an ACC school. Last night my alma mater Ohio University got slobber knockered by Florida 82-48. OU is a decent MAC program and usually competitive. But OU's 2 best players from last year are currently playing major roles at the #2 and #4 teams in the country. Mark Sears is Alabama's PG and Ben Van Der Plas is Virginia's 6th man. That didn't used to happen. MAC schools were where B10 and SEC players transferred for PT. The stars didn't leave the MAC for the B10 etc.
The only example I can remember from the past is Kenny Battle transferring from Northern Illinois to Illinois back in 1986. (Though there were rumors back then he transferred so he never had to play in Athens, Ohio again!) I'm sure there were others and I'm also sure the primary factor in this is the redshirt year.
The portal giveth and the portal taketh.

That's a good point. Kids who were late bloomers or overlooked get a new chance. JaMorant types though maybe not that overlooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom