Only P-5 team not to make ESPN's Top-75 college recruiting rankings | Syracusefan.com

Only P-5 team not to make ESPN's Top-75 college recruiting rankings

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
Yikes!

ESPN+ just released their article: 2023 football recruiting: Ranking the top 75 college teams

Bottom of each P-5 conference:
  • ACC
    Virginia : 67
    Syracuse : Unranked
  • Big 12
    Kansas : 71
  • B1G
    Indiana : 74
  • PAC-12
    Cal : 75
  • SEC
    Vanderbilt : 50
Ranked G5 Programs:
  • UCF : 45
  • Houston : 56
  • Colorado St. : 59
  • UTSA : 61
  • SMU : 63
  • Memphis : 65
  • Boise St. : 68
  • Tulane : 69
  • Temple : 70
  • Cincinnati : 72

Last edited:
Pretty Crazy. They obviously have no clue over there at ESPN right now.

Edit: I didn’t realize this was recruiting rankings. Makes more sense to me now.

Last edited:
in a world where 25-50% a team seems to transfer every yr a class really needs to be evaluated on everyone who goes to a team. if they cant actually be bothered to rank all the kids in a meaningful way then dont throw up stats about it.

Our recruiting at the high school level sucked this year, and 2024 was primed to be a huge leap until we lost White and Monroe.

But let's see what happens.

We added a ton of transfers and JUCO kids that had some damn good offers out of high school.

If so--

There are only 12 high school commits, and size of recruiting class is one of the main data points.
and thats an issue as well.. we could have 10 kids that were all 5 stars and pts wise it wouldnt be enough to have a great class ranking.

Pretty Crazy. They obviously have no clue over there at ESPN right now.
No clue about what? Our HS recruiting stunk this year as far as landing kids with other P5 offers and we had our 2 heaviest recruited prospects late in the cycle flip on signing day.

It’s based on HS recruits and it’s pretty accurate. You’re not getting accolades when 76% of the guys you offered were only offered by Syracuse at the P5 level. Doesn’t mean they won’t develop but on paper it is what it is.

No clue about what? Our HS recruiting stunk this year as far as landing kids with other P5 offers and we had our 2 heaviest recruited prospects late in the cycle flip on signing day.

It’s based on HS recruits and it’s pretty accurate. You’re not getting accolades when 76% of the guys you offered were only offered by Syracuse at the P5 level. Doesn’t mean they won’t develop but on paper it is what it is.
Sorry. Bad reading comprehension on my part. Didn’t realize it was recruiting rankings. Thought it was just team rankings for 2023.

Sorry. Bad reading comprehension on my part. Didn’t realize it was recruiting rankings. Thought it was just team rankings for 2023.
No worries, I just thought you had the orange colored glasses on :)

If so--

There are only 12 high school commits, and size of recruiting class is one of the main data points.
We can't be the only P5 school that didn't take a full HS class. If we ARE the only one that didn't take a full HS class, then I'm also a bit concerned.

We can't be the only P5 school that didn't take a full HS class. If we ARE the only one that didn't take a full HS class, then I'm also a bit concerned.
How much of the ranking is a function of so few skill players. We recruited beef. That was the biggest need.

You do realize the class isn’t finalized right? Not that we plan on bringing in many more kids. Only early signing day has happened. It’s not like we were trying and couldn’t bring in enough players. This was always going to be a small class numbers wise based on need.

You do realize the class isn’t finalized right? Not that we plan on bringing in many more kids. Only early signing day has happened. It’s not like we were trying and couldn’t bring in enough players. This was always going to be a small class numbers wise based on need.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but isn't the second signing day period, like, next week? We haven't seen a lot of movement.

We have 15 commits; that's the same amount as BYU, UCLA, and MSU. It's more than University of Cincinnati, UCF, Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Louisville, Purdue, Indiana, and Kansas per the aggregation site. We're ranked lower than all of those schools.

We also have the last "average" rating in the ACC and is slightly lower than #65 Boise State per the aggregation site. Indeed, the aggregation site has one P5 conference school lower than us, and it's Cal; they have 10 commits and a higher average rating . . . they aren't that much lower than us.

Given our attrition, these numbers are--to put it mildly--jarring. That's not a knock on the players, but c'mon, we shouldn't be the have the worst P5 recruiting. It's just sad.

*Edited to add more detail*

Last edited:
it’s sad to say but i dont even care about HS recruits right now. The game has changed and our only path to success is to load up from portal where we can land 4 star kids who were stuck behind 5 star kids.

Why gamble and try to develop a HS kid when a transfer can play immed and can’t leave for bigger NIL money if he goes all -conference.

Last edited:
Maybe we will have more success from the portal going forward.

For this past season, we had Shrader & Bleich & Cooper as starters; a back up TE, a back up RB, a back up QB, and a couple of second string OLs. Isaiah Jones (injured early) was also a transfer. On defense, we had Clark, Simmons & Oliver in the secondary and one LB. Not a lot of transfers or jucos. The majority of our impact players (G. Williams, M. Jones, Wax, Chestnut, Carter, Gadsden, Tucker, Thompson, Lockett) were HS recruits.

In the current in-coming group, we have a grad transfer OT, a juco C, a juco OG, a 4 star DE from Alabama coming off injuries through the portal, and a transfer LB from the portal. Obviously we are not done, but it isn't an overwhelming haul from the portal at this point.

If we expect to be a consistent bowl team, HS recruiting needs to be in the 50s at least, unless we can do a ton better from the portal.

I love these rankings how diligent are the guys sitting down and ranking team #52 versus #68? That must be super intense, pressure must be ridiculous. It's a joke, like taking a test with no right or wrong answers.

What separates Tulane at 69 from Houston at 56? some junk that they plug into a computer. 18 recruits versus 14? It's absurd. Is a guy doing a serious deep dive on Tulane's recruiting class? Seriously? I highly highly doubt it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom