Onondaga County Planning Board Minutes - Football Operations Center | Syracusefan.com

Onondaga County Planning Board Minutes - Football Operations Center

BVille44

All Conference
A portion of the minutes from 12/8/21 Onondaga Planning Board meeting (Update of John A Lally Athletic Complex):

“Proposed Site Plans and the Environmental Assessment Form (EAF) indicate upgrades to the athletics complex include construction of a two-story building addition (4,717 sf) for a new entrance, demolition of the Iocolano-Petty Football Wing (16,779 sf), and construction of a two-story building addition (51,130 sf) for a new football operations center.

Proposing 5 new wall-mounted signs, one (55 sf) over the new main entrance, one on Manley Fieldhouse (650 sf), and three totaling 172.5 sf on the football operations center; there are 3 existing monument signs totaling 605 sf and 3 wall signs totaling 43 sf that will be removed.

Yoooo!!! Thank you for posting the minutes. Leave it to CFB fans still care about planning board minutes. Haha.

50+k SF!!!!

I'm assume this meeting was just for the signs?

Don't want to be negative because I am thrilled that they Are finally getting this done, but you have to mention this is just getting us partially caught up to what most P5 programs have already had for years
Fair comment. That said you can't blame ADJW for what was not done before he arrived. He is though driving money into Athletics, football, upgrades, etc and there has been a position by some that SU is unwilling to spend. So to me if we are going to criticize when things are not done, then to be fair we should laud things that are getting done. As fans we should be consistent in calling the good and the bad.

Don't want to be negative because I am thrilled that they Are finally getting this done, but you have to mention this is just getting us partially caught up to what most P5 programs have already had for years
This brings up a good point.

After the Lally project is completed, where will we stand in comparison to say, the other programs in the ACC?

I am sure we will be behind Clemson. I would think they have to be in first in the ACC.

I have heard people say Wake Forest has the best or second best football facilities in the ACC. Now I know their stadium is very low end and utilitarian. Guessing their other stuff must be really nice?

I know BC got a new indoor practice facility in 2018 but I can't find anything about a football operations center on that campus. They do have the Yawkey Athletics Center, which was built in 2003, and it looks like it includes at least some of the things the Lally Center will bring to Syracuse.

Pitt got a renovation of their football training facility in 2015, which looks like it was mostly an upgrade to their locker room (which looks really nice). I don't see anything about a football operations center per se though.

It looks like FSU is a little ahead of us building a football operations center. Below is an article from April of 2021. Not sure where their other facilities for football stand.

In September of 2021, Bronco Mendenhall got some press stating that UVa had the worst football facilities in the ACC. Said they were the only school in the conference that had not built or renovated a football facility in the past 31 years. Frustration on that front might have played a role in his leaving UVa, much like it did with Doug Marrone and his frustration at the lack of progress getting an IPF built at Syracuse years ago.

UVa finally committed to building a football operations center to get Tony Elliott to agree to become their HC. So I would say they are probably at or a little behind us right now.

I don't remember reading about new lockers for the football players in the Lally Center. Maybe I missed that. Guessing that is probably in the plans for phase 2 of the project. Not sure any of that has been announced publicly yet.

Comments?

Can't let this thread continue without a quick recognition that planning boards are comprised of self-congratulatory stunads full of boastful arrogance and vainglory. Carry on!

Haha preach!!

ps. Vainglorious is an excellent word.

After the Lally project is completed, where will we stand in comparison to say, the other programs in the ACC?

I am sure we will be behind Clemson. I would think they have to be in first in the ACC.

I have heard people say Wake Forest has the best or second best football facilities in the ACC. Now I know their stadium is very low end and utilitarian. Guessing their other stuff must be really nice?

I know BC got a new indoor practice facility in 2018 but I can't find anything about a football operations center on that campus. They do have the Yawkey Athletics Center, which was built in 2003, and it looks like it includes at least some of the things the Lally Center will bring to Syracuse.

Pitt got a renovation of their football training facility in 2015, which looks like it was mostly an upgrade to their locker room (which looks really nice). I don't see anything about a football operations center per se though.

It looks like FSU is a little ahead of us building a football operations center. Below is an article from April of 2021. Not sure where their other facilities for football stand.

In September of 2021, Bronco Mendenhall got some press stating that UVa had the worst football facilities in the ACC. Said they were the only school in the conference that had not built or renovated a football facility in the past 31 years. Frustration on that front might have played a role in his leaving UVa, much like it did with Doug Marrone and his frustration at the lack of progress getting an IPF built at Syracuse years ago.

UVa finally committed to building a football operations center to get Tony Elliott to agree to become their HC. So I would say they are probably at or a little behind us right now.

I don't remember reading about new lockers for the football players in the Lally Center. Maybe I missed that. Guessing that is probably in the plans for phase 2 of the project. Not sure any of that has been announced publicly yet.

Comments?
If the Locolano-petty football is demolished, that would include locker room and weight room. Hoping these are FANTASTIC! Or do we call those Manley? (They're all attached)

IF they could somehow add lockers and weight room to Lally? HOT D@MN. Weight room looking on to the outdoor practice fields would be a thing of beauty. (My personal fave)

BC added a weight room to the IPF. Its superb. Their operations center is in the stadium, multiple floors. I have to think their previous, high school weight room has been turned into something useful.

Last edited:

Comments?
A lot of these facility tours can be found on youtube. It depends how this turns, but just from our division we would trail Clemson, FSU, NC ST, Louisville, WF and probably same level as BC. From the other division we would trail UNC, Miami (who some recently made upgrades), Pitt, VT, GT, and probably better than UVA, and Duke. From my memory here is how I would rank them from what i've seen on youtube. There may be recent additions at some...

1. Clemson
2. FSU - 3. NC ST - Tour NC State Football's Murphy Center
4. VT - Weight room upgrade 9 months ago - YouTube e xeOw
this is from 5 years ago Virginia Tech Merryman Athletic Facility Tour (1/4)
Virginia Tech Merryman Athletic Facility Tour (2/4)
Virginia Tech Merryman Athletic Facility Tour (3/4)
Virginia Tech Merryman Athletic Facility Tour (4/4)
5. UNC - These are from 2 years and upgrades have been made since then ICTV: UNC Football Facility Tour
ACCDN Home Turf Episode 5 | UNC's Indoor Practice Facility
6. Louisville - Cardinal Stadium & Howard Schnellenberger Complex Tour
7. Miami - Upgraded last year Football Facility Tour | 3.27.20
8. GT - Facility Tour
New locker room 3 yrs ago - Georgia Tech Football Locker Room Unveiling
9. Pitt - Locker room from 5 years ago Football | New Facilities Unveiling
10. Wake - Nothing available, but made upgrades 3 years ago
11. BC
12. Syracuse - What we have now. Don't even show sports med it's so bad - Virtual Tour | Syracuse Football
13. Virginia
14. Duke

Even with the new facilities we may overtake Wake and BC, but just catching up to the point it's not an obvious downgrade from some of the middle half.

This isn't even to mention the facilities in the SEC, B10, and top of B12 blow almost all of these out of the water except Clemson. Just my opinion, and don't get me wrong I am very thankful we are finally getting it done.

A lot of these facility tours can be found on youtube. It depends how this turns, but just from our division we would trail Clemson, FSU, NC ST, Louisville, WF and probably same level as BC. From the other division we would trail UNC, Miami (who some recently made upgrades), Pitt, VT, GT, and probably better than UVA, and Duke. From my memory here is how I would rank them from what i've seen on youtube. There may be recent additions at some...

1. Clemson
2. FSU - 3. NC ST - Tour NC State Football's Murphy Center
4. VT - Weight room upgrade 9 months ago - YouTube e xeOw
this is from 5 years ago Virginia Tech Merryman Athletic Facility Tour (1/4)
Virginia Tech Merryman Athletic Facility Tour (2/4)
Virginia Tech Merryman Athletic Facility Tour (3/4)
Virginia Tech Merryman Athletic Facility Tour (4/4)
5. UNC - These are from 2 years and upgrades have been made since then ICTV: UNC Football Facility Tour
ACCDN Home Turf Episode 5 | UNC's Indoor Practice Facility
6. Louisville - Cardinal Stadium & Howard Schnellenberger Complex Tour
7. Miami - Upgraded last year Football Facility Tour | 3.27.20
8. GT - Facility Tour
New locker room 3 yrs ago - Georgia Tech Football Locker Room Unveiling
9. Pitt - Locker room from 5 years ago Football | New Facilities Unveiling
10. Wake - Nothing available, but made upgrades 3 years ago
11. BC
12. Syracuse - What we have now. Don't even show sports med it's so bad - Virtual Tour | Syracuse Football
13. Virginia
14. Duke

Even with the new facilities we may overtake Wake and BC, but just catching up to the point it's not an obvious downgrade from some of the middle half.

This isn't even to mention the facilities in the SEC, B10, and top of B12 blow almost all of these out of the water except Clemson. Just my opinion, and don't get me wrong I am very thankful we are finally getting it done.

Where’s our IPF and the Dome?

If the Locolano-petty football is demolished, that would include locker room and weight room. Hoping these are FANTASTIC! Or do we call those Manley? (They're all attached)

IF they could somehow add lockers and weight room to Lally? HOT D@MN. Weight room looking on to the outdoor practice fields would be a thing of beauty. (My personal fave)

BC added a weight room to the IPF. Its superb. Their operations center is in the stadium, multiple floors. I have to think their previous, high school weight room has been turned into something useful.
This is where I think they totally blew it on the location of the IPF. They left Coyne (the field hockey field) in between Manley/Iacolano-Petty and that makes that connection a lot more difficult. I was really disappointed with where they placed it.

This is where I think they totally blew it on the location of the IPF. They left Coyne (the field hockey field) in between Manley/Iacolano-Petty and that makes that connection a lot more difficult. I was really disappointed with where they placed it.

The original plan was to connect it and build on the field hockey field. The field hockey “area” would be relocated.

given all the fields in place just where would the field hockey move and the million to replace it come from?

Good to see RandomGuy getting excited about the project. Hearing that facade was a very preliminary drawing and the final design is going to be changed. There has to be a total redo of the locker room as part of this project. All these projects feature a fancy locker room redo as a major feature. This one has to as well. Not sure where the lockers are going to be, but I bet they are coming, and I expect to see lots of flat screen TVs, LED lighting, polished, gleaming hard wood and shiny chrome featured prominently.

I have to wonder what the Petty and Iocolana families think about this... Just as I wondered about the Lampe family when the Lally Center was announced to replace the Lampe complex. These were all big, much heralded, gifts in their day. Do they just disappear into nothingness?