Open Letter to Cuse Athletics - Let the Students Pack the Dome for FREE Friday Night! | Syracusefan.com

Open Letter to Cuse Athletics - Let the Students Pack the Dome for FREE Friday Night!

mlbball99

2nd String
image.jpeg

what do student tickets cost per game? $100

$100 x 2000 sold = 200K each kid buys 1 drink/food item for $5 each game so total revenue = $260K

SU gives away free tickets. first 2 games 5000 show up and then revert back to normal 2K. kids still buys one $5 item. revenue = 90K.

less than 200K in money is that big picture difference? its even less if kids buy $10 in drinks but it may be less?

I would do something different. everyone gets in free. $25 gets you in ahead of everyone else to each game. Like a reserved right to grab a seat. if there is no demand for that then dont do it.

I was near the upper deck where they diverted "student overflow" to last Friday. We had a ton of students flowing up the aisles. Some observations (not good or bad):

They came late. I am not sure if they were there earlier but diverted late or not but they streamed up our aisles all 1st half to fill the upper end zone and corner.

They bought a lot of refreshments. Seemed like almost every student had a drink or food.

They were constantly up and down the aisles all game after initially seated.

It was good to see so may there but I think the dome could manage it a little better.

Is the money really the issue for most students who don't come? Is it that expensive for them?

what do student tickets cost per game? $100

$100 x 2000 sold = 200K each kid buys 1 drink/food item for $5 each game so total revenue = $260K

SU gives away free tickets. first 2 games 5000 show up and then revert back to normal 2K. kids still buys one $5 item. revenue = 90K.

less than 200K in money is that big picture difference? its even less if kids buy $10 in drinks but it may be less?

I would do something different. everyone gets in free. $25 gets you in ahead of everyone else to each game. Like a reserved right to grab a seat. if there is no demand for that then dont do it.
SU definitely does not receive all the revenue from food/drink. That goes to the F/B supplier and then SU gets maybe half of that.

When they gave out free tix during the Marrone era it didn't really work, and it pissed off all of us who paid full price for our season tickets. Either bake the cost into the SA fee before the year, or have people buy it. But you can't decide midseason to do it.

Oh christ people...quit being shortsighted. Give the students free tickets for this game!

You want attendance? You want noise? You want excitement? Bite the bullet and pass out freebies to the students for these opening games.

I mean, we're making $22m from the ACC now, right?

The constant turnover in ADs hasn't helped these policies I imagine. Three different ones in three seasons now.

Hopefully by next year we can implement a logical student ticket policy. Personally I'm all for VERY low-cost/heavily subsidized season tickets ($50/year or something) coupled with the first home game each year being free.

What is the current policy for student tickets? Back in the late 70s, we paid a small fee ($25, I think) that gave us a sticker for our ID card that provided access to all regular season SU sporting events. With today's technology this could be easily done with a scan-able chip.

My only concern about letting the students in for free for this game is that it could cause resentment from students who have already paid for tickets.

JoeSU said:
What is the current policy for student tickets? Back in the late 70s, we paid a small fee ($25, I think) that gave us a sticker for our ID card that provided access to all regular season SU sporting events. With today's technology this could be easily done with a scan-able chip. My only concern about letting the students in for free for this game is that it could cause resentment from students who have already paid for tickets.

$99 for the season. $199 for bball seasons. Something like $229 for both.

$99 for the season. $199 for bball seasons. Something like $229 for both.
Thanks.
According to various online inflation calculators, $25 in 1977 would be worth around $100 today. Granted, that was to watch games in Archbold and Manley. I suspect that the cost of tickets to sporting events and concerts (and college tuition!)) has risen a lot faster than the overall rate of inflation, so $229 for both doesn't seem unreasonable.

JoeSU said:
Thanks. According to various online inflation calculators, $25 in 1977 would be worth around $100 today. Granted, that was to watch games in Archbold and Manley. I suspect that the cost of tickets to sporting events and concerts (and college tuition!)) has risen a lot faster than the overall rate of inflation, so $229 for both doesn't seem unreasonable.

I agree, the price is pretty reasonable and not a killer. But the problem becomes when SU sends students multiple emails during the summer to buy football seasons or the combo and then starts letting students in for free. I agree with those who think all students should get in free and become part of an activity fee.

Win and students will come. Don't piss off the small faction of SU football fans, already in the student body by taking away the value of their tickets.

The problem with an activity fee is that it'll be vehemently opposed by those who don't attend games.
I don't think the people paying the 60K/year tuition are going to nitpick a $200-300 activity fee to raise it to $60,300.

Scooch said:
The problem with an activity fee is that it'll be vehemently opposed by those who don't attend games.

There's already an activity fee of $203 per semester as well as other fees.

I don't think the people paying the 60K/year tuition are going to nitpick a $200-300 activity fee to raise it to $60,300.

Except the activity fee wouldn't be that high because you are dividing the number by the 16,000 or so undergrads. My guess is it would be more along the lines of a $25 fee, or possibly lower than that.

They pay 60k a year already. Syracuse is making enough off them.
multiply 60K x students and figure out costs to run the place.. there is not a ton of extra money

Win and students will come. Don't piss off the small faction of SU football fans, already in the student body by taking away the value of their tickets.
The operative word in your statement being "SU". The team is the university team, and many fans attend and became fans from their experiences as students. Students first, fans second. It should be part of the college experience. You are going to a college game, not a pro game. Also student fans grow future fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom