Open with PSU next year | Syracusefan.com

Open with PSU next year

Crusty

Living Legend
I would really like to beat PSU in the opener next year. It is really a bummer to drop the opener and, well, its Ped State.
They will lose 5 starters on D but only 3 on O. On D they lose a corner, DE, DT and two line backers. However, they will return a lot of starters on O and OB can coach.
I don't suppose that the sanctions will really bite until 2014 but that is just a guess.

Not me, I hope we lose - BIG, just as a sort of reality check for the team.:p

I'm just busting on you, b/c shouldn't we all really want to beat whoever our opponent is every week? I do acknowledge that some victories are sweeter than others based on the opponent and PSU is always in the sweeter category.

I would really like to beat PSU in the opener next year. It is really a bummer to drop the opener and, well, its Ped State.
They will lose 5 starters on D but only 3 on O. On D they lose a corner, DE, DT and two line backers. However, they will return a lot of starters on O and OB can coach.
I don't suppose that the sanctions will really bite until 2014 but that is just a guess.
They went 7-5 this year, I think the sanctions definitely played a role in that.

What sanctions? Every game was on TV this year. Next year's class is ranked 35th with 2 top-100, 1 5*, 3 4*, and 6 3* kids in it (SU is ranked 73 with 5 3* kids).

What sanctions? Every game was on TV this year. Next year's class is ranked 35th with 2 top-100, 1 5*, 3 4*, and 6 3* kids in it (SU is ranked 73 with 5 3* kids).
Their class is ranked like that because they have a high subscriber base on that website. They also are limited in numbers and the lack of depth will cost them if injuries happen. Think SU in 2009.

They lose a ton on defense... Not to mention kids that may leave early for the pros due to the sanctions. They also will probably have a true freshman QB playing... Shafer is already licking his chops!

Too many people are circling this game as an easy win. It's winnable, but not a slam dunk. PSU was awful to start the year, but really got rolling and finished second, with their only poor performance being against Ohio state. Our team will have to be ready to play

I think the reason PSU had such a good season because they rallied around the fact it was them against the world. They won't have that next year, they will just be another average team. Syracuse will have better players on the field next year, if we get good QB play we probably win.

Too many people are circling this game as an easy win. It's winnable, but not a slam dunk. PSU was awful to start the year, but really got rolling and finished second, with their only poor performance being against Ohio state. Our team will have to be ready to play

I agree... I certainly wasn't implying we would walk over them... But, I think we are more than capable of beating them...

I agree... I certainly wasn't implying we would walk over them... But, I think we are more than capable of beating them...

I still think their talent level trumps ours. It's the depth they lose. Don't forget we go in with an untested qb. I still imagine their average starter is more "athletic" in the raw sense than ours.

Our unknown QB vs thier unknown QB.. but I like our returning defense and they havent had a QB since Kerry Collins.

Too many people are circling this game as an easy win.

Anyone circling this game as an "easy win" has a low football IQ. I see us around a field goal underdog.

I think the reason PSU had such a good season because they rallied around the fact it was them against the world. They won't have that next year, they will just be another average team. Syracuse will have better players on the field next year, if we get good QB play we probably win.

And I'd venture to say [from the outside perspective] that not as many players transferred out as you might expect due to the short time frame between when that option was presented and the beginning of camp [less than two weeks].

Most of the team rallied, took on that them-against-the-world attitude, etc. But now that the season is over and they can still transfer and be immediately eligible to play, I wouldn't be surprised to see several more key players depart now that they have the time to really do due diligence and explore their options.

Curretnly, they have 1 QB on their roster going into next year, with highly touted kid coming in the summer. They're trying to snag a Juco but just lost a kid to Kstate. We'll be the favorite going into that game next year.

Good to see that they will also be using a QB with no game experience. That's helpful for us. Their backup this year was a lightly recruited true freshman who went 2 for 8. Looks like they have a better option coming in from Prep School, but he'd be a true freshman. They do have one WR returning who had a monster year, and a RB who had a great last 4 games.

Don't know if we win the game, but this will be a much different matchup than USC, especially for our defense.

And I'd venture to say [from the outside perspective] that not as many players transferred out as you might expect due to the short time frame between when that option was presented and the beginning of camp [less than two weeks].

Most of the team rallied, took on that them-against-the-world attitude, etc. But now that the season is over and they can still transfer and be immediately eligible to play, I wouldn't be surprised to see several more key players depart now that they have the time to really do due diligence and explore their options.
I think this is going to be pretty prophetic. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose some recruits on signing day too as the realities of the program's situation has had a lot of time to sink in.

Yeah, that's my take too. The sanctions didn't do much to stop a PSU love fest most of the year.

Don't their players still have the option of transfering without penalty? Not sure why but I thought it extended to the end of next semester, or was it this one?

it will be a toss up and expect spread to be no more than 2 or 3. We'll both have new QBs, but we'll have more returners. Cant wait for that one though should be very intense and the tailgate scene be pretty epic.

They lose a ton on defense... Not to mention kids that may leave early for the pros due to the sanctions. They also will probably have a true freshman QB playing... Shafer is already licking his chops!
Their true-frosh has about a 5% chance of starting, even though he's a 5*. His father has openly stated he wants Hack to red-shirt, so Bill O'B is on the road looking for a JUCO to bridge the gap. Still a chance, but it's not a great chance.

Freshman making first ever start are my worst fear after Jake Locker. I am sure there will be more PSU fans than SU so it will likely be a good place for him to get his first start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom