Opinion of Quality of Streaming Services | Syracusefan.com

Opinion of Quality of Streaming Services

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
As I look at the bookmarks on my computer, I see that I subscribe to pretty much every streaming service. I wanted to look into cutting the cord, and now I pay for an additional $50 in services per month! As you know, they are of varying signal quality, depending on server and cloud support.

I have 400/400 Internet, with Verizon FiOS fiber to my home. We have only 3 users. Measured in terms of interruptions of broadcasts, loss of signal, screen freezes, etc., as well as content offerings, here is my current opinion of the relative quality of these streaming services:

1. Netflix (by a mile) - I seldom have problems with the streaming of their programs, and they have the greatest selection

2. Peacock (NBC) - seldom have issues, although once in a while there can be a problem accessing a completed game on replay. This channel would most appeal to cord-cutters because so much of the content is past and present NBC TV series and news shows.

3. Disney Plus family of channels. (Marvel, National Geographic, Star Wars). Good consistent viewing. Disney could make the integration of the other services, including Hulu, easier, though.

4. Hulu - Not as much content as some of the other services, but some quality original programming. Too many commercials. Few streaming interrruptions. There's not enough good content for me to pay extra to get rid of the commercials. Rick & Morty was the big draw here, but we don't watch this too much compared to other services. Hulu also has a lot of network programming, so that's very appealing to those sans-cord.

5. Amazon Prime - Plays fairly well, but most of the content is now premium, or quasi-extra-subscription based. So this has become kind of a last resort channel for us. Amazon has all the Cloud juice in the world, and their shows broadcast well. Just too much fiddling around so that things that were free to watch the first time now cost you $3 to watch with your friend or with family. Doesn't Bezos have enough money already?

6. HBO Max - Very good content, historically great shows. But you notice that they haven't had quite the same success during the last decade. Very good signal, but a rather stale selection of programming.

7. Watch ESPN and ESPN Plus are of varying quality. ESPN domestic programming is very good; European football coverage is OK, but not great. I have been having persistent problems with ESPN Plus, and have to think that they are going to rebrand and combine these services, as soon as some programming contracts come up for renewal. This is confusing, and hard to work with. Is my game on this channel or that one? Because they don't have the same content. Their billing is also shtt. I was double-charged by them two different times for several months before I realized.

8. Paramount / CBS / Smithsonian - CBS Sports broadcast of Champions League is weak. The hosting crew has the worst host, but these games are going into freeze mode every few minutes. I'm sure that CBS's domestic programming is probably better supported. Smithsonian is really good quality. I love all those drone shows on Smithsonian "Aerial [blank]" where you see flyovers of all these places while you learn interesting bits of history, local culture, flora and fauna.

9. Apple Plus TV - very little in terms of programming content, and the signal stalls all the freaking time. Very weak offering so far. Ted Lasso, which is so G rated that it almost hurts in its earnest, good hearted sincerity, and ... pretty much nothing else. Seriously. There is not much here worth your time.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m about done with Amazon Prime. Used to be great for the classic HBO shows like The Wire, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sopranos, 6 Feet Under, etc. Now, none of them are included. It’s nearly a pointless app for me now.

Prime is just a bonus for the delivery side of things to me. It had Bosch but that has ended, the Boys is interesting,, Good Omens was really good, jack Ryan has been good. Man in the High Castle was good

Im much higher on hbo max, hulu, and watch ESPN. But im younger so my tastes and needs are different.

hbo max has all the hbo classics: sopranos, the wire, got, veep, curb, silicon, plus succession which is the best show on tv. Not to mention their great catalog of documentaries especially sports docs. Live sports will be going there soon not to mention hard knocks. They also offer theatrical releases

hulu lets you watch shows the day after they premiere, a sizable movie catalog, but my reason for it is King of the Hill and Always Sunny which i rewatch constantly. Only Murders in the Building and Solar Opposites are originals i really like. They also host fx content like archer and reservation dogs (best new show of the year)

espn + gets you every 30 for 30 and more live sports, and the shows peyton and eli manning host are really great

just my take

Im much higher on hbo max, hulu, and watch ESPN. But im younger so my tastes and needs are different.

hbo max has all the hbo classics: sopranos, the wire, got, veep, curb, silicon, plus succession which is the best show on tv. Not to mention their great catalog of documentaries especially sports docs. Live sports will be going there soon not to mention hard knocks. They also offer theatrical releases

hulu lets you watch shows the day after they premiere, a sizable movie catalog, but my reason for it is King of the Hill and Always Sunny which i rewatch constantly. Only Murders in the Building and Solar Opposites are originals i really like. They also host fx content like archer and reservation dogs (best new show of the year)

espn + gets you every 30 for 30 and more live sports, and the shows peyton and eli manning host are really great

just my take

Yeah, the 30 for 30 shows are great. At someone's recommendation, I just went back and watched the recent 4 part series on the 1986 Mets. Great program!

Prime is just a bonus for the delivery side of things to me. It had Bosch but that has ended, the Boys is interesting,, Good Omens was really good, jack Ryan has been good. Man in the High Castle was good

I get that, and kind of look at it the same way. But it really annoys me that I have watched a lot of good documentaries (my other way to unwind, aside from sports ...) that are free on first watch, and then when I come back to rewatch them, or share them with my family, I suddenly have to pay for them. Annoys the hell out of me that they keep changing what you have to pay for on Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom