Orange Depth going into the 2012-2013 Season | Syracusefan.com

Orange Depth going into the 2012-2013 Season

Van111

Starter
Now that NN is on his way to Calipari, In looking at next years team, we still have alot of talent but not alot of depth. We have (scholarship players):

Guards: MCW, Triche and Cooney (RS)
Forwards: Southerland, Fair, Grant, and Christmas
Centers: Coleman, Baye Keita

Christmas can Sub at Center, so could Southerland. No depth at Guard. No marquee recruits in the wing as of yet, and little or no information here on possibilities. We have no offers out there for next year. Injury or academic issue comes up or maybe both, and you are talking a team 6/7 deep at this point. Help me out here guys, where is all the optimism for a good year next year? We'll be OK, I don't see it if we go in playing 9 scholarship players, 3 of which are rookies? We didn't even have any other offers out there. seems we were pretty sure of bagging NN. Had we, I would not see a big problem except maybe at guard, but we need help. Any transfers out there on the wire guys? Let me know if I am missing something here. What looked like one of the top recruiting years is looking less productive, depite that we picked up two very good players.

We played 8 last year. We'll play 8 this year.

We are fine, barring an injury to one of our guards...We have a lot of interchangeable parts...guys who are 3/4s and guys who are 4/5s...and Triche and MCW could be 1/2s...

We are fine, barring an injury to one of our guards...We have a lot of interchangeable parts...guys who are 3/4s and guys who are 4/5s...and Triche and MCW could be 1/2s...
Agreed. I think people are kind of spoiled based on our depth last year. Look around the country, most teams go 7, some even go 6.

Hell in 2010 we only played 7 and only had 3 guards.

In 96 we had two guards, basically. In 03 we had three guards. This year we played basically three guards. Barring injury we should be just fine. We have a 6-5 distributor, a 6-4 strong as an ox combo guard and a 6-3 sharpshooter who can sub for either of them.

We will be fine.

I think this year spoiled us in depth. We have had good teams with not a lot of depth. I feel like we are in pretty good shape and like the size we have on def and the fact we have multiple people that can score is great. I can't wait to see RAK this year I think he made good strides at the end of the season and I hope DC2 comes in hungry.

I think this year spoiled us in depth. We have had good teams with not a lot of depth. I feel like we are in pretty good shape and like the size we have on def and the fact we have multiple people that can score is great. I can't wait to see RAK this year I think he made good strides at the end of the season and I hope DC2 comes in hungry.
I hope DC2 is "hungry" not hungry.

why all the speculation about having enough guards? Getting a transfer doesn't help next year. Recruiting a high school kid that is not at least a 3-4 star would not play anyway. We have three guards next year and they are all good. Plus as people have indicated, Mookie, could slide into that spot if he returns. If the coaches felt we needed another guard and someone came along that didn't have to wait a year, I would think SU would offer. In the meantime, relax.

Now that NN is on his way to Calipari, In looking at next years team, we still have alot of talent but not alot of depth. We have (scholarship players):

Guards: MCW, Triche and Cooney (RS)
Forwards: Southerland, Fair, Grant, and Christmas
Centers: Coleman, Baye Keita

Christmas can Sub at Center, so could Southerland. No depth at Guard. No marquee recruits in the wing as of yet, and little or no information here on possibilities. We have no offers out there for next year. Injury or academic issue comes up or maybe both, and you are talking a team 6/7 deep at this point. Help me out here guys, where is all the optimism for a good year next year? We'll be OK, I don't see it if we go in playing 9 scholarship players, 3 of which are rookies? We didn't even have any other offers out there. seems we were pretty sure of bagging NN. Had we, I would not see a big problem except maybe at guard, but we need help. Any transfers out there on the wire guys? Let me know if I am missing something here. What looked like one of the top recruiting years is looking less productive, depite that we picked up two very good players.
Here's your help. MCW, Triche, and Cooney will all play. Your starting front court will be Fair, Christmas, and Coleman. Keita and Southerland will also play off the bench. That's 8 minimum, and assumes no contribution from Grant. That's probably reasonable. He will probably be treated like MCW this year. Get minutes in non-conference blowouts but watch during bigger games.

Here's your help. MCW, Triche, and Cooney will all play. Your starting front court will be Fair, Christmas, and Coleman. Keita and Southerland will also play off the bench. That's 8 minimum, and assumes no contribution from Grant. That's probably reasonable. He will probably be treated like MCW this year. Get minutes in non-conference blowouts but watch during bigger games.
Yup. 8 man rotation. Grant will be shown the ropes and if Mookie comes back, he'll be 2012-2013 version of... Mookie

What do you guys think as far as the future? With potentially only seeing Grant on the bench, now matter how we fair next year, and two seniors as well, we will need a strong recruiting year to fill the void. Should Coleman have a break out year, who knows, a slight chance he could be one and done. Are we palying in the Big WEast next Year, or do we discuss moving out this summer and close with football only in 2012?

Please don't compare Grant to Mookie.
I can't see him coming back, was a bust recruit with just too many issues in my opinion. We have a lot of open scholarships left, 4 I gather from the numbers, do we get a surprise recruit or transfer this summer? I am not sure when transfers are officially allowed to make the move and what the cut off date is.

How can anyone not be encouraged about what the SU squad will have to offer come 2012-13? I'd imagine that less than a dozen of the 320+ D-1 CBB coaches would not love to have a returning team of:
- a 4th-year senior combo guard with tons of court/tourney/big game experience (BT);
- a soph former Mickey D'er at point who saw decent minutes and showed flashes of greatness in his frosh season (MCW);
- a veteran junior at SF who averaged 26 mins., 8.5 pts and 5.4 rbs as a soph, and who plays bigger than his 6'7" frame (CJF);
- a veteran senior PF who can spell at C or SF, who averaged 7 pts and 3 rebs as a junior, and who is a definite 3 pt. threat (JS);
- and a trio of long/big options at C, two with great game experience, two that can spell at PF, and two who were among the top ranked centers in their respective recruiting classes (BK/RC/DC2).
And the above says nothing about what two highly recruited frosh might add to the mix (TC/JG).

I can't see him coming back, was a bust recruit with just too many issues in my opinion. We have a lot of open scholarships left, 4 I gather from the numbers, do we get a surprise recruit or transfer this summer? I am not sure when transfers are officially allowed to make the move and what the cut off date is.

Anyone who transfers in would be ineligible to play in 2012-13 anyways.

And Mookie has already indicated that he plans on returning to SU to complete his degree.

How can anyone not be encouraged about what the SU squad will have to offer come 2012-13? I'd imagine that less than a dozen of the 320+ D-1 CBB coaches would not love to have a returning team of:
- a 4th-year senior combo guard with tons of court/tourney/big game experience (BT);
- a soph former Mickey D'er at point who saw decent minutes and showed flashes of greatness in his frosh season (MCW);
- a veteran junior at SF who averaged 26 mins., 8.5 pts and 5.4 rbs as a soph, and who plays bigger than his 6'7" frame (CJF);
- a veteran senior PF who can spell at C or SF, who averaged 7 pts and 3 rebs as a junior, and who is a definite 3 pt. threat (JS);
- and a trio of long/big options at C, two with great game experience, two that can spell at PF, and two who were among the top ranked centers in their respective recruiting classes (BK/RC/DC2).
And the above says nothing about what two highly recruited frosh might add to the mix (TC/JG).
Guess I'm spoiled and looking ahead...if Christmas shows as much improvement as Melo did this year, I agree, we should be ok. Was thinking of next year too as far as recruiting. I thought Mookie left on sour terms, are we sure he is coming back? maybe to school, but on the team?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom