Orange Fizz on Brissett, Guerrier and Battle | Syracusefan.com

Orange Fizz on Brissett, Guerrier and Battle

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Really a good listen. Wes Brown, a Canadian scout, is very high on QG.

Describes QG as a scorer, and more of a natural basketball player than Brissett, but not as elite an athlete. Said QG likes to play with the ball in his hands, he's strong with the ball, has hoops savvy and can shoot it fairly well. I think Quincy's skill set will mesh really well with Eli Hughes, who is a near-elite jump shooter, but not all that on the drive. He kind of compared QG to Battle at one point in the interview.

Brown said that Brissett always kind of played like he wasn't sure of what his role was supposed to be. I kind of agree with that, certainly last season. I think OB played more naturally as a frosh, and it showed in his superior production. He thought too much as a soph. Good luck to him in his career.

For me, if Buddy is OK with not starting, and he can handle being "the microwave" on this year's team (that role was good enough to get Dion to the NBA ...), then ...

I see our ideal starting lineup as being Jalen Carey at PG, Brycen Goodine at 2G, Quincy Guerrier at PF, Eli Hughes at SF, and Edwards at Center.

This gives us our most athletic team to start the game, and these guys can run.

Four minute timeout (16:00), Buddy comes in for Goodine, Marek comes in for Edwards.

Steady hands, good offense, but Buddy and Marek both fouled a lot last year, and I think it would suit them both to sit and watch until the first TV timeout. I think it was save both of them foul trouble in probably half a dozen games over the course of the season, where one or both of them get dumb, early fouls, where they are sometimes the less athletic guys than who they are covering, and are playing on adrenaline and are trying to make plays that they might not (otherwise) be able to make. Rash decisions lead to silly fouls.

Next four minute timeout (12:00), JBA for Marek, who moves to F, and Guerrier comes out. Girard gets a run and Carey gets a rest.

So QG gets a good solid amount of time to get into the flow. JBA provides some muscle and would be a good change of pace at this point, after we had finesse centers for the first 8 minutes of the half. This is where the fourth guard gets their shot, around the mid-point of the first half, where there is the least risk.

Next timeout (8:00) - Carey, Buddy, Eli, Quincy and ______. Probably Marek, possibly Edwards. JBA only if we're getting "Big Boy'ed" out there. That will be our core lineup, and probably the lineup we close out games with.

That's why I think it is so important to protect Buddy and Marek a bit, and I also think that maybe if we started with a more athletic lineup, we might avoid some of the consistently crappy starts that seem to afflict our teams these past few years.

Now that we know Guerrier is the guy and Brissett won't be back, I welcome your thoughts.

With Guerrier and Hughes at forward we are really small and will be destroyed by bigger teams.
My starting 5 is much different.
1: JC
2: Hughes
3: Guerrier
4: Marek
5: Sid( if healthy) if not Edwards

That would be an interesting starting lineup. Yep, I think they would be better defensively that what I had in mind. Maybe you're right.

I know that Hughes did work out with the guards a couple years ago. I wonder if his handle is good enough to play guard. I suppose he probably does handle it well enough if he was going up against Battle in practice.

That would really put pressure on Goodine to get any time on the floor if we are using Hughes as a guard.

That would be an interesting starting lineup. Yep, I think they would be better defensively that what I had in mind. Maybe you're right.

I know that Hughes did work out with the guards a couple years ago. I wonder if his handle is good enough to play guard. I suppose he probably does handle it well enough if he was going up against Battle in practice.

That would really put pressure on Goodine to get any time on the floor if we are using Hughes as a guard.
Agreed. I just put up a post on Braswell. Our issue is size. With Hughes at 6'6. Guerrier at 6'7 and Marek at 190 pounds we dont have the size and or strength to defend most teams inside.

For me, if Buddy is OK with not starting, and he can handle being "the microwave" on this year's team (that role was good enough to get Dion to the NBA ...), then ...

I see our ideal starting lineup as being Jalen Carey at PG, Brycen Goodine at 2G, Quincy Guerrier at PF, Eli Hughes at SF, and Edwards at Center.

This gives us our most athletic team to start the game, and these guys can run.

Four minute timeout (16:00), Buddy comes in for Goodine, Marek comes in for Edwards.

Steady hands, good offense, but Buddy and Marek both fouled a lot last year, and I think it would suit them both to sit and watch until the first TV timeout. I think it was save both of them foul trouble in probably half a dozen games over the course of the season, where one or both of them get dumb, early fouls, where they are sometimes the less athletic guys than who they are covering, and are playing on adrenaline and are trying to make plays that they might not (otherwise) be able to make. Rash decisions lead to silly fouls.

Next four minute timeout (12:00), JBA for Marek, who moves to F, and Guerrier comes out. Girard gets a run and Carey gets a rest.

So QG gets a good solid amount of time to get into the flow. JBA provides some muscle and would be a good change of pace at this point, after we had finesse centers for the first 8 minutes of the half. This is where the fourth guard gets their shot, around the mid-point of the first half, where there is the least risk.

Next timeout (8:00) - Carey, Buddy, Eli, Quincy and ______. Probably Marek, possibly Edwards. JBA only if we're getting "Big Boy'ed" out there. That will be our core lineup, and probably the lineup we close out games with.

That's why I think it is so important to protect Buddy and Marek a bit, and I also think that maybe if we started with a more athletic lineup, we might avoid some of the consistently crappy starts that seem to afflict our teams these past few years.

Now that we know Guerrier is the guy and Brissett won't be back, I welcome your thoughts.

2: Buddy
3: Hughes
5: Sidibe

Buddy is going to start. People can probably forget Hughes, Goodine, or Guerrier starting at the two. Buddy’s biggest threat at the the two is Girard.

Agreed. I just put up a post on Braswell. Our issue is size. With Hughes at 6'6. Guerrier at 6'7 and Marek at 190 pounds we dont have the size and or strength to defend most teams inside.

Guerrier weighs more than Brissett (by about 20 pounds), but we don't know if he's a junkyard dog like Paul Harris, or just an average rebounder for his position like CJ or Kris Jo.

3 things will be proven true:

Buddy starts at the 2
Hughes starts at one forward spot
Marek starts at the 5

I could see all of these things happening, for sure.

I'm not sure that they would all lead to the best season for us, though, because it would mean that a number of other guys didn't step up into bigger roles.

I could see all of these things happening, for sure.

I'm not sure that they would all lead to the best season for us, though, because it would mean that a number of other guys didn't step up into bigger roles.
On the other hand, those three represent our best known quantities, so it's not unrealistic to expect improvement from them.

Carey to me represents our best chance for a player to take a huge leap forward.

With Guerrier and Hughes at forward we are really small and will be destroyed by bigger teams.
My starting 5 is much different.
2: Hughes
3: Guerrier
5: Sid( if healthy) if not Edwards
I have heard from many they are not putting Hughes at the 2 under any circumstances

Buddy is going to start. People can probably forget Hughes, Goodine, or Guerrier starting at the two. Buddy’s biggest threat at the the two is Girard.

Unless he made big strides over the summer in terms of working on his athleticism and fitness, I'm not sure that Buddy is ready to defend high end talent for 30+ minutes a game. I'd like to give him more time to develop without the whole thing being on his shoulders.

I think he can get to All-ACC level - and his freshman year is already ahead of Andy Rautins' sophomore year, but I don't think Buddy is ready yet to jump to senior year Andy just yet. He is still a bit streaky as a shooter and can get down on himself if he misses a couple threes early. He also reaches a bit and can get into foul trouble when he gets tired.

On the other hand, those three represent our best known quantities, so it's not unrealistic to expect improvement from them.

Carey to me represents our best chance for a player to take a huge leap forward.

Marek, too. He's only at 4 and 4 right now. He could possibly get to 10 and 6, if he's more willing to shoot.

I have heard from many they are not putting Hughes at the 2 under any circumstances
I know but if he is going to sniff the NBA that has to be his position. Goodine Buddy Girard Carey can all play the 2.
JC, Goodine, HW, Girard can play the 1 so we have plenty of guys available. The positions we are hurting at are PF and Center.

3 things will be proven true:

Buddy starts at the 2
Hughes starts at one forward spot
Marek starts at the 5
I don’t disagree but really think Marek at the 4 helps us the most. It won’t happen often but as our best passer it gets him out a little and he isn’t as overmatched at of where as center he is. Plus he has exceptional basketball iq and my favorite player because of his hustle.

Makes sense.
Not a function of his ability there, but just that the 2 is by far the biggest logjam, and the last thing we need is another player vying for SG minutes.

There is no reason for Marek to come in this fall looking physically like he did this past season. He will be a better player for us if the boys at S&C put 20 + pounds of muscle weight on him. He's never been afraid of contact, (remember the charge he took from ZW), with the added weight he's got more going for him than without it IMO.

I also think Buddy will start, because he earned it over the course of last season. I was impressed at the amount he improved, and see no reason why he will continue over the summer.

Sidbe should start as well, but how long he plays is another question. Even in games he played well he fouls rather quickly. I would assume his knowledge of the English language has drastically improved making him more coachable. As long as he is over his injuries he could be a monster for us.

Hughes will stay at the 3. To many good guards to move him over. But they could easily set screens for him to open him up in his favored shooting points toward the top.

But all the guys we’ve never seen play are SO much better!

Certain players HAVE to be good, or the team won't be.

And every year, new guys emerge. That's how it all works. The Circle of Life.

I really don’t understand why people don’t want Buddy to start considering how he played pretty much the entire ACC season and we played just as well with him in place of Battle in the ACC tournament.

Because we don't want too much pressure on him. He'll develop better, without any big dips, if we can keep the pressure off of him until he's really ready. He's close, but he needs to get better.

Because we don't want too much pressure on him. He'll develop better, without any big dips, if we can keep the pressure off of him until he's really ready. He's close, but he needs to get better.

He’s a sophomore that produced as a freshman. People want Goodine starting over him and he’s a freshman. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom