Orange is the New Fast - Basketball Version | Syracusefan.com

Orange is the New Fast - Basketball Version

dlegend44

Scout Team
Orange is the new fast = increase number of possessions by shooting early in the shot clock combined with full court pressure defense and success in transition

I have been watching Syracuse basketball since the mid-80's. This is our best shooting team ever! Buddy is probably the best shooter in the country and Swider isn't too far behind. They are both tall shooters that will be able to get their shot off against shorter defenders, especially against defensive rotations. Girard is a good shooter and should see a lot more open looks as our 3rd option this year and won't have to force shots. If 2 of those 3 guys get hot on any given night, we win that game!

Boeheim is a walking basketball encyclopedia and has studied the NBA game a lot. I see him running more of a pro-style offense this year where we push the ball up court quickly and take the first available good shot. Maximizing the number of possessions and increasing the shot volume for our shooters will be the key to our success. That style of offense puts tremendous pressure on opposing defenses to get back quickly so they can identify and match-up with multiple shooters in transition.

Benny and Edwards are the wildcards this year. I have no doubt we will be a good team. If Benny and Edwards both exceed expectations this is a legit Final Four caliber team! If Edwards becomes a shot blocking machine, the 2-3 is going to be great this year and we will be able to press a lot knowing the rim is protected. Pressing speeds up the opposing offense and increases possessions, which is the second key to our success this year. Benny is a freak athlete that could end up being the best player on the team by the end of the season. If Benny is great this year, the team will be as well.

I hope to see many of you in New Orleans this years while we cut down the nets again, right before taking over Bourbon Street in celebration. Let's Go Orange!

MUEEY4ZOTRDOZD55SJQGJ4SPA4.JPG

Not to be a party pooper, but SU’s transition defense is really bad. Lafayette had 12-15 points on easy transition buckets. Buddy never rotates back and our forwards don’t get back. Watching Duke run up and down the floor, our transition defense will be tested. Duke‘s perimeter shooting is very suspect.

Not to be a party pooper, but SU’s transition defense is really bad. Lafayette had 12-15 points on easy transition buckets. Buddy never rotates back and our forwards don’t get back. Watching Duke run up and down the floor, our transition defense will be tested. Duke‘s perimeter shooting is very suspect.
Keels is a man child, Larry Johnson reincarnate.

Duke likes to put the ball on 5he floor. Our zone can neutralize a lot of that. Neither Duke or Kentucky run much offense. A lot of one on one. Kentucky still doesn’t have a point guard that knows how to play without dribbling the ball to death.

I will ignore that turd you left in the punchbowl, considering we won by 34 points. :)

Defense will not be this team's calling card, but I thought the zone looked pretty solid considering all of the new players. It usually takes most of the season for the zone to gel. Hard to take away a lot from the game considering that Edwards was blocking shots with his elbows.

I absolutely loved the confident shots, early in the shot clock. We have legit shooters spotting up in transition. 26 assists for the game was awesome to see. The plethora of Syracuse shooters creates serious match-up problems for every team we face this season. I am so glad we will not see an isolation dribble based offense this year. We should average close to 80 points per game this season. It will be difficult for most teams to match our scoring pace. The best defense is a good offense. Who am I kidding, the best defense is an amoeba like 2-3 zone!

Orange is the new fast = increase number of possessions by shooting early in the shot clock combined with full court pressure defense and success in transition

I have been watching Syracuse basketball since the mid-80's. This is our best shooting team ever! Buddy is probably the best shooter in the country and Swider isn't too far behind. They are both tall shooters that will be able to get their shot off against shorter defenders, especially against defensive rotations. Girard is a good shooter and should see a lot more open looks as our 3rd option this year and won't have to force shots. If 2 of those 3 guys get hot on any given night, we win that game!

Boeheim is a walking basketball encyclopedia and has studied the NBA game a lot. I see him running more of a pro-style offense this year where we push the ball up court quickly and take the first available good shot. Maximizing the number of possessions and increasing the shot volume for our shooters will be the key to our success. That style of offense puts tremendous pressure on opposing defenses to get back quickly so they can identify and match-up with multiple shooters in transition.

Benny and Edwards are the wildcards this year. I have no doubt we will be a good team. If Benny and Edwards both exceed expectations this is a legit Final Four caliber team! If Edwards becomes a shot blocking machine, the 2-3 is going to be great this year and we will be able to press a lot knowing the rim is protected. Pressing speeds up the opposing offense and increases possessions, which is the second key to our success this year. Benny is a freak athlete that could end up being the best player on the team by the end of the season. If Benny is great this year, the team will be as well.

I hope to see many of you in New Orleans this years while we cut down the nets again, right before taking over Bourbon Street in celebration. Let's Go Orange!

MUEEY4ZOTRDOZD55SJQGJ4SPA4.JPG
Great post. Love the insight on offensive philosophy

... Watching Duke run up and down the floor, our transition defense will be tested. Duke‘s perimeter shooting is very suspect.
True.
But based solely on the Duke-Kentucky game a few nights ago...both those teams could murder the Orange inside. And I'm optimistic about an SU rebound in rebounding this season.

True.
But based solely on the Duke-Kentucky game a few nights ago...both those teams could murder the Orange inside. And I'm optimistic about an SU rebound in rebounding this season.

Campbell out rebounded Duke last night so it’s possible.

Yeah, I don’t get all the Duke fear. I suppose I will soon enough.

I have four Duke friends, all of whom have told me, “I really love our team! I think we’re going to be good.” For the first time, probably EVER, I responded, “You know, I really love my team also. And I think we’re going to be good!”

So there!

Agreed...we will not be a great rebounding team but there is still a lot of height and most importantly, effort. My point with this thread is great shooting makes up for a lot of deficiencies and this is a great shooting team. I prefer a great shooting team over a great rebounding team :)

We are also #10 in the nation with 21.5 assists per game. I don't remember a Syracuse team sharing the ball this much.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don’t get all the Duke fear. I suppose I will soon enough.

I have four Duke friends, all of whom have told me, “I really love our team! I think we’re going to be good.” For the first time, probably EVER, I responded, “You know, I really love my team also. And I think we’re going to be good!”

So there!
The more this team keeps winning, they won't be able to keep Orange Kool-aide on the shelves because everyone will be drinking it. This team is going to be special!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom