Orange Nation on Adams and Howard | Syracusefan.com

Orange Nation on Adams and Howard

SWC75

Bored Historian
They are interviewing Matthew Gutierrez of the Athletic who says that Abdul Adams and Jarveon Howard didn't opt out due to Covid19 or BLM but because they both expect to be drafted by the NFL and they'd rather prepare for that.

Opting out for the draft is just another termite eating away at the non-powerhouse teams trying to compete with the powerhouses.

Last edited:
It just seems odd there have been a few on different teams who have come out and said they are opting out due to getting ready for the NFL Draft but nothing official from these two.

I can only laugh and think of an engineering student writing on their resume, "I managed a 2.0 GPA for two years before I quit. Now I want you to hire me to design buildings."

They are interviewing Matthew Gutierrez of the Athletic who says that Abdul Adams and Jarveon Howard didn't opt out due to Covid19 or BLM but because they both expect to be drafted by the NFL and they'd rather prepare for that.

Opting out for the draft is just another termite eating away at the non-powerhouse teams trying to compete with the powerhouses.
I think opting out for the draft is affecting the powerhouses more since they have more potential picks, see LSU this year. Not sure if it will ever get to the level of College Bball with one and dones and senior laden mid majors that pull tourney upsets but I think its heading in that direction a little. I think some powerhouse programs could experience a slight erosion of top talent off their roster.

Best of luck to both player and good luck getting into the NFL.
I highly doubt right now either player has done enough to even warrant an invite to the NFL combine.
The combine invites only a select number.
I wish Adams and Howard the best.
I hope they get combine invites.

Good luck.

JSueytO5O29yM.gif

At least Adams produced a little, we will have those camping world bowl game touchdown memories.

Drew Allen, ehh, what could have been if he beat PSU in the opener

He produced more than just a little. He split time behind a poor OL -- can blame it all on the RB.

He produced more than just a little. He split time behind a poor OL -- can blame it all on the RB.

That's true. Definitely not all his fault. I was just commenting from the perspective that I was expecting more than 400 yds rushing in his Orange career before it was all over, regardless of the reason.

Now Drew Allen was just not good enough for this level. No shame in that, but just the truth,

This doesn't pass my logic meter. But If true, who are advising these players? These are the type of players that have to prove it on the field, not during workouts and the combine. Workout only players are only the top players who already are in the top few rounds. They are barely free agent level talents right now.
To coin a phrase 'that's why you play the game' not only to win but to win by playing well so you do get drafted. Some people need to start telling these kids the truth and stop blowing smoke up their keisters.

Im going to refuse to believe this until it comes from a better source.

I’m not in denial, you’re in denial.

At least the source that mentioned this was right on Richards opting out!

This doesn't pass my logic meter. But If true, who are advising these players? These are the type of players that have to prove it on the field, not during workouts and the combine. Workout only players are only the top players who already are in the top few rounds. They are barely free agent level talents right now.
To coin a phrase 'that's why you play the game' not only to win but to win by playing well so you do get drafted. Some people need to start telling these kids the truth and stop blowing smoke up their keisters.
Exactly, somebody needs to give them a Drug Test, cause I want some of what they having

And Moe Neal produced more behind the same oline, neither of these guys are as good as Neal, yet think they are on the NFLs radar...

True. But you also touched upon another key factor -- they were in a platoon [and in Howard's case, the third guy in the platoon]. You can't just look at it and say, Adams got 327 yards -- ergo, he's not good enough. He was the second guy.

I'm not supporting their decision / suggesting that either of these guys are NFL prospects, for the record. I just think that there is more layers to peel back than just the stat at face value.