ordinary beatings will look worse with this pace | Syracusefan.com

ordinary beatings will look worse with this pace

Millhouse

Living Legend
scored about 25% of the points, about 40% of the yards.

if this were some slow slugfest it's like a 28-7 game where one teams has 400 yards and the other has 275. 28-7 is bad too.

maryland is good too.

we're not going to be good at offense and defense. no reason to kid ourselves. some years maybe we don't suck at defense. this year, we'll get run all over. need a few shootouts to get us to 6 or 7 wins.

before Maryland it was we need the offense to be able to win 24-21 rock fights. After this game we need to win shootouts. Are we sure the answer isn’t somewhere in the middle

before Maryland it was we need the offense to be able to win 24-21 rock fights. After this game we need to win shootouts. Are we sure the answer isn’t somewhere in the middle
no, the answer is shootouts. i never said that before maryland

no, the answer is shootouts. i never said that before maryland
I never said you said that specifically. I’m talking about the board in whole and how it tends to flip from one extreme to the other

We played right into their hands. The defensive scheme if there even was one, was a train wreck. You cannot play 10-20 yards off the receivers when defending an RPO. We left the middle open all day and made no adjustments. This is on Ward.

Not pace related at all. What’s our identity? As cliche as that sounds.

I don’t understand this thread. We didn’t even play at a medium pace today or last week. There are teams that don’t consider themselves to play fast, playing faster then us.

What does the score of this game have to do with pace? Maryland could have scored 80+ if we had played as fast as half the teams in CFB.

if this were some slow slugfest it's like a 28-7 game where one teams has 400 yards and the other has 275. 28-7 is bad too.

maryland is good too.

we're not going to be good at offense and defense. no reason to kid ourselves. some years maybe we don't suck at defense. this year, we'll get run all over. need a few shootouts to get us to 6 or 7 wins.

We had no pace. That has zero to do with it. You are steering data to make a point that is minuscual versus the macro reality.

We had no pace. That has zero to do with it. You are steering data to make a point that is minuscual versus the macro reality.
There were a lot of plays in this game. I'll show that 153 plays offense and defense is a high number when I am on a pc. The per play difference got amplified. 7.8 to 5.7 per play. 43%. Not good but not this bad

Last edited:
last year, if you add up each teams defensive plays and an offensive plays, divide them by the number of games, and rank them, the 10th place team came in at 152.7.

153 plays in a game is a lot.

Georgia Tech and Virginia were at 128 around 10th fewest

If this game were at that pace, it would've been 542 yards to 334.

Still bad. Pace makes it worse. Bunch of people in this thread think pace means "looks like they're hustling" when I mean a high number of plays per game.

I didn't need to go to cfbstats for this, it should be obvious that 153 plays in a game is a lot

we ran 70 plays, lots of missed 4th downs. which meant that maryland got more plays. the overall pace was till high

Last edited:
We played right into their hands. The defensive scheme if there even was one, was a train wreck. You cannot play 10-20 yards off the receivers when defending an RPO. We left the middle open all day and made no adjustments. This is on Ward.
might be reading too much into it but I am not defending ward - made it pretty clear that it's still bad and that the defense is going to get run over

maryland is good too.

Yeah exactly. And Dino is going to lose games he shouldnt and lose some games big because of pace and sometimes it just doesnt work.

but there is going to be 1 season he puts it all together.

and he is the man for this job. through thick and thin, believe that. faith.

Pace was also the reason we were down 21 in the third and still had a chance. Pace amplifies - but it also means more chances, more attempts at the apple.

But if you can’t tackle it means 60+ points

Pace had nothing to do with why we got killed.
We didn’t play fast.
We got killed because our LBs and DBs couldn’t fill space and Maryland got their guys into space and open windows for their QB to destroy us.
The Maryland QB didn’t throw into tight windows he was facing 3rd and short all day and killed us.

maryland is good too.

It didn't feel like we played that fast yesterday. It seemed like Maryland was pushing the tempo more than we were.

Sometimes games just get away from Dino with his style... here is plenty of proof. But not to worry, it will ALL come together for a 1987 memory for us all.

LAST 2 GAMES

WKU, (not going to say Wisconsin bc they prob just way better in 2014), UNI

tennessee (they stink), Ga Southern (dont care dino didnt officially coach - same game plan - GA southern coach left too)

plenty

wake louisville BC

ND

jackson thru into some tight windows early , just not enough. the RPO D was bad. We cant play at pace until we can run or the WRs get in the right spots. the fact that we played awful and somehow in the middle of the 3rd had 2 chances to be in that game and failed gives us some hope.

would not be shocked if we see the same game this week, mistakes some big plays and trailing by 20+ in the 3rd

If Clemson plays the same game on offense this week we can hang. if they take it to another level or we just blow assignments we are in trouble like every other team the last 20 thats played them.

Where we are in game 6 is the key.. by then we know what we have and we know what Maryand is.

Wake is the only team that might just beat us if we play well because they have a solid offense. Every other game is just who plays better that day

Oline needs to step it up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom