Orlando Sentinel Sportswriter is on Drugs | Syracusefan.com

Orlando Sentinel Sportswriter is on Drugs

If our only victory was Clemson we should've been at #90 or better.
However we're at #109 because the Syracuse "brand" (I dislike that term) has deteriorated the last 17 years in the minds of many. Especially in the mind of that writer. Of course once we make our way back, it'll be so much sweeter in remembering where we came from.

They have a countdown from #129 to #1 (surely Bama or Clemson)

Cuse just entered in at #109 (This is GRob Era Bad)

WTH? Even #70 would be a bit of disrespect...but #109 behind UConn and the vast majority of the MAC and SunBelt!

After rough year, Syracuse Orange are No. 109 in 2018 preseason college football rankings
Dino's system is 0-8 in Nov at the P5 level. I certainly hope that trend reverses itself this year but as of now that is a fact that can't be debated. What also can't be debated is the number of points this team gave up in the final 3 games of the year. For those with short memories, we gave up an avg of over 50ppg in our final 3 contests. And we lost Franklin/Bennett/Ishmael/Philips. It's only with Orange glasses that anyone would conceivably rank us much higher to start the year. That being said 109/99/89 does it really matter? The last 40 teams were probably put into a bucket and just randomly drawn.

We stink until further notice? Why are people offended by this? As Pyle said, we cannot finish because our depth is non-existent. Hopefully this year we reverse that but why would any prognosticator think that's happening after 17 years of bad finishes.

We stink until further notice? Why are people offended by this? As Pyle said, we cannot finish because our depth is non-existent. Hopefully this year we reverse that but why would any prognosticator think that's happening after 17 years of bad finishes.
Nary a mention of what will be the greatest strength of the 2018 Syracuse Orangemen: the offensive line.

Back to back to back 4-8 seasons; 3 winning seasons overly the last 16 seasons = well deserved lack of respect.
#109 is like 1 win bad...we would have to lose to everyone but Wagner.

We play in one of the toughest divisions in Football...we are not #109 bad. I can handle #70..but frankly this team IMHO will be around #45-50 this year.

No way these guys actually watched college football last year outside of the Top 25. They haven't gotten to Rutgers yet. Seriously?! A team with no QB, consistently embarrassed by B1G foes, yet is higher than 109? SMH...

#109 is like 1 win bad...we would have to lose to everyone but Wagner.

We play in one of the toughest divisions in Football...we are not #109 bad. I can handle #70..but frankly this team IMHO will be around #45-50 this year.

with upside to sqeak into top 25 with good luck

I looked up some early season ranks,in the winter. 50,52,70 me thinks..

"Could have one of the best ACC QBs"...
Then ranks 109.

I looked up some early season ranks,in the winter. 50,52,70 me thinks..

"Could have one of the best ACC QBs"...
Then ranks 109.
Well we all know having a potential All Conference QB along with a 4 star sitting on the bench with a well above average OL doesn't mean much in college FB.

Dino's system is 0-8 in Nov at the P5 level. I certainly hope that trend reverses itself this year but as of now that is a fact that can't be debated. What also can't be debated is the number of points this team gave up in the final 3 games of the year. For those with short memories, we gave up an avg of over 50ppg in our final 3 contests. And we lost Franklin/Bennett/Ishmael/Philips. It's only with Orange glasses that anyone would conceivably rank us much higher to start the year. That being said 109/99/89 does it really matter? The last 40 teams were probably put into a bucket and just randomly drawn.
I would rephrase that this way: "Dino's system is the least of SU's problems. In fact, it's the only prayer SU has of competing with most ACC teams in their division. The problem is ... by November their lack of defensive depth starts to show up and they can't score enough points to make up for it."

Well we all know having a potential All Conference QB along with a 4 star sitting on the bench with a well above average OL doesn't mean much in college FB.
An improved OL... Even if they're just average, it should improve the offense, and help keep ED healthy.

Teams under new coaches often lack depth in the first couple years.

We didn’t have the depth to overcome the injuries that inevitably happen over the course of a season. That should be less of a factor in year 3.

The system with a senior QB and the entire OL back(plus a stud transfer) means this should be an offense good enough to be much better than 109.

Anywhere from 45 to 90 would seem to be more fair.

Last edited:
An improved OL... Even if they're just average, it should improve the offense, and help keep ED healthy.
Prediction: Having an OL that's packed with talent and experience, and a QB that can hurt you in about 50 ways (including running by your defense), is going to make SU especially hard to contend with. We'll have some issues sorting out WR and LB, but once those dominoes fall, baring injuries to key players, we could have a winning season this year and maybe a bowl bid.