Oshae Brissett-player comparison | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Brissett-player comparison

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I love his game although his outside shooting and perimeter defense is still work in progress. Yesterday was a good sign in which it was the first game that he shot over 50%. Plus what I like a lot is that he has gone to the foul line at least five times a game in the last six games. So I think he and the team is definitely figuring out that basically most times he has the ball that he is a offensive mismatch on the floor.

So I have now watched him in nine games as an Orangeman. He is averaging 13.6 ppg (plus over 16 in the last five) and he is averaging 9.2 rpg. Plus he is shooting 73% from the FT line (and 79% in the last five games). I, like many others, think he has an unbelievable upside.

So, I couldn't come up with any past Syracuse player to compare him to so I broadened my search. It brought me to Cornbread Maxwell. 6'8, 205 lbs. Oshae is listed at 6'8 and 210.

Cornbread as a freshman at Charlotte averaged 9.1 and 6.2 rpg. His senior season, he averaged 22.3 and 12.1 rpg. And his third year as a Celtic, he was averaging 16.9 ppg and 8.8 rpg.

So I am not saying that Oshae is going to have a great 12 year NBA career but based on Maxwell's freshman year's stats, anything could be possible.

Thoughts???

OShae Brissett Game Logs, Syracuse, NCAA Stats, Events Stats, Bests, Awards - RealGM

Cedric Maxwell College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Cedric Maxwell Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Your comparison player played college ball over 40 years ago. :confused:

How about CJ Fair? Can shoot some. Can drive it. Good rebounder. A bit of a 3/4 twiner. If he can work on handling it and passing I can see Billy Owens.

Last edited:
Your comparison player played college ball over 40 years ago. :confused:

How about CJ Fair? Can shoot some. Can drive it. Good rebounder. A bit of a 3/4 tweener.
Look at CJ's stats. Now we all love CJ, but over his career, he didn't go to the FT line as much or as good a rebounder.

So I did go back 40 years but does that make it a bad comparison.

Look at CJ's stats. Now we all love CJ, but over his career, he didn't go to the FT line as much or as good a rebounder.

So I did go back 40 years but does that make it a bad comparison.

Yea fair really didnt have the slashing game oshae does

I love his game although his outside shooting and perimeter defense is still work in progress. Yesterday was a good sign in which it was the first game that he shot over 50%. Plus what I like a lot is that he has gone to the foul line at least five times a game in the last six games. So I think he and the team is definitely figuring out that basically most times he has the ball that he is a offensive mismatch on the floor.

So I have now watched him in nine games as an Orangeman. He is averaging 13.6 ppg (plus over 16 in the last five) and he is averaging 9.2 rpg. Plus he is shooting 73% from the FT line (and 79% in the last five games). I, like many others, think he has an unbelievable upside.

So, I couldn't come up with any past Syracuse player to compare him to so I broadened my search. It brought me to Cornbread Maxwell. 6'8, 205 lbs. Oshae is listed at 6'8 and 210.

Cornbread as a freshman at Charlotte averaged 9.1 and 6.2 rpg. His senior season, he averaged 22.3 and 12.1 rpg. And his third year as a Celtic, he was averaging 16.9 ppg and 8.8 rpg.

So I am not saying that Oshae is going to have a great 12 year NBA career but based on Maxwell's freshman year's stats, anything could be possible.

Thoughts???
Totally different game (in terms of era, strategy, etc.) I don't think you can compare stats from that long ago.

Totally different game (in terms of era, strategy, etc.) I don't think you can compare stats from that long ago.
Yes, but basketball is still basketball. I'm not talking the 60's and early 70's when Maravich, Murphy and Mount were averaging over 40 points a game as 20 year old college kids with no 3 pt line. Name me one small forward who has averaged over nine rebounds a game in the last 40 years.

For Syracuse comparison i would say John Wallace. Wallace wasn't the all around offensive force that he would eventually become when he arrived. But he was strong, athletic, a very good rebounder, and a guy who could get points.

Not sure Oshae will get to as good an offensive game as jw tho he may be already a better defender.

Last edited:
Yea fair really didnt have the slashing game oshae does
Ok, we all love CJ. I respect your opinion and CJ was a great player and had a great career at Syracuse. However Brissett is putting numbers up across the board that no previous Orangemen has over their first nine games at small forward. Even Billy Owens only averaged six boards a game his freshmen year and he was 30 lbs heavier and more of a PF (and considered one of the top two recruits in the country).

He's like a better rebounding but worse shooting Thaddeus Young.
That's a pretty good comp. I'm sure anyone would be happy with a Thaddeus Young NBA career.

Ok, we all love CJ. I respect your opinion and CJ was a great player and had a great career at Syracuse. However Brissett is putting numbers up across the board that no previous Orangemen has over their first nine games at small forward. Even Billy Owens only averaged six boards a game his freshmen year and he was 30 lbs heavier and more of a PF (and considered one of the top two recruits in the country).

I was agreeing with you that not a great comparison. I suggested ryan blackwell although he was a third year soph by the time he played for us.

Problem with some of your comparisons is that we will never see OB as a senior or probably even as a junior. He will be gone.

I was agreeing with you that not a great comparison. I suggested ryan blackwell although he was a third year soph by the time he played for us.
Oops, I mistook it as sarcasm about CJ. CJ Fair was everywhere. Blackwell had some productive seasons but even as an upperclassmen his stats don't rival what Brissett has done so far. Now, I'm not saying that Brissett's nine game career is going to project out with the same numbers vs the ACC, but what I see is that each game he is getting smarter and the team is getting smarter in getting him the opportunities. None of the guys mentioned (CJ, JW, Owens, Blackwell, Alexis) went to the foul line as often as Brissett has or had as many rebounds until maybe their junior or senior seasons, if that. It's unprecedented what he has done very quietly so far.

I see some Derrick Coleman in Brissett - his tremendous instinctive rebounding and his ability to get to the basket and also score from multiple spots on the floor.

I see some Derrick Coleman in Brissett - his tremendous instinctive rebounding and his ability to get to the basket and also score from multiple spots on the floor.

Yes, but - DC really only had the rebounding part as a Frosh. His all-around game took a few years to fully develop.
By the time he was a Sr, he was damn near Magic-like with his all-around game; he could handle well (for a PF), pass, drive, shoot, block shots, and still rebound like a banshee.

In a lot of ways, Oshae is ahead of where DC was as a Frosh. Which is awesome.
Sad part is, we won't get to see 4 years of development out of him like with DC. I'm hoping for 2.

Cornbread Maxwell is a pretty good comp, but I liken his game more to Sourdough Thompson or Honey Whole Wheat Richards, even.

How do you not mention Bagel Lipshitz or Bialy Garfinkle? Both just as good as the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom