Oshae Brissett | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Brissett

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
College basketball all-sleeper team: Look for these guys to bust out in 2018-19

F Oshae Brissett, Syracuse

Brissett was a bit of a mixed bag as a freshman. A plus athlete at 6-8, he was one of the only players on Syracuse who could create a decent shot. He averaged 14.9 points and 8.8 rebounds per game. Brissett is exactly the kind of player who works in Jim Boeheim’s zone – long and active, with a motor that runs high.

With all of that said, it’s hard to get past the fact that he shot 35 percent from the floor, making him one of the least efficient players in the country.
But college players generally become more efficient over time, and he was often asked to bail Syracuse out of less-than-ideal shot clock situations. Brissett made 33 percent of his 3s on a high number attempts as a freshman, which isn’t great, but is respectable. Get that number up to 36 percent, and the Orange will welcome him to fire.
He’s just so active, and is the kind of guy who gives your team more possessions based on sheer hustle and explosiveness. Brissett was a key reason why Syracuse went further than anyone expected in the tournament. Don’t be shocked if he averages close to a double-double this season. If he can crack 40 percent from the field, Brissett does so many other things that he'll have a huge impact on winning.

He averaged close to a double double last season. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t average a double double this season.

The only issue is the rebounding. If he does not average 10 boards, it will because we are winning games easily, he plays fewer minutes, & the rebounds are shared among more players. And that could happen as Chukwu, Sidibe & Dolezaj improve.

Brissett was a bit of a mixed bag as a freshman. A plus athlete at 6-8, he was one of the only players on Syracuse who could create a decent shot. He averaged 14.9 points and 8.8 rebounds per game. Brissett is exactly the kind of player who works in Jim Boeheim’s zone – long and active, with a motor that runs high.

With all of that said, it’s hard to get past the fact that he shot 35 percent from the floor, making him one of the least efficient players in the country.
But college players generally become more efficient over time, and he was often asked to bail Syracuse out of less-than-ideal shot clock situations. Brissett made 33 percent of his 3s on a high number attempts as a freshman, which isn’t great, but is respectable. Get that number up to 36 percent, and the Orange will welcome him to fire.
He’s just so active, and is the kind of guy who gives your team more possessions based on sheer hustle and explosiveness. Brissett was a key reason why Syracuse went further than anyone expected in the tournament. Don’t be shocked if he averages close to a double-double this season. If he can crack 40 percent from the field, Brissett does so many other things that he'll have a huge impact on winning.

By the time its all said and done, Oshae has a punchers shot at NPOY.

The only issue is the rebounding. If he does not average 10 boards, it will because we are winning games easily, he plays fewer minutes, & the rebounds are shared among more players. And that could happen as Chukwu, Sidibe & Dolezaj improve.
I think he will.

1 word : spacing. If we can prove we have multiple shooters then the lane will be Oshaes for the taking. Looking forward to him being able to finish a few of those dunks this year.

1 word : spacing. If we can prove we have multiple shooters then the lane will be Oshaes for the taking. Looking forward to him being able to finish a few of those dunks this year.

He’ll be more fresh too I would think/hope. All those kids played too many minutes from day 1. All of them.

Great counting stats because he was talented and on the floor all the time and we mostly only had two other guys who could make anything happen on offense. But he really wasn’t ready last year. In a normal season he probably would’ve averaged 6 ppg as the 7th-8th man that would’ve hidden his flaws better and we’d be talking about how he’s ready to take the sophomore leap.

I think he’ll be much more efficient this year. I won’t be shocked if his numbers stay around 15 and 8, but I’ll be shocked if the FG% doesn’t take a jump by about 10%. He’s got the talent and a year under his belt where despite struggling at times, he got a lot better and made a ton of big plays during a sweet 16 run. Despite IMO not really being ready(ideally, on a typical Cuse team) last year, it probably accelerated his development for this season so that he’s even more ready than our typical sophomore leap guys.

He’ll be more fresh too I would think/hope. All those kids played too many minutes from day 1. All of them.

Personally think the “too many minutes” thing is more about holes in guys games being more exposed/apparent when they’re out there all the time than it is about fatigue.

Personally think the “too many minutes” thing is more about holes in guys games being more exposed/apparent when they’re out there all the time than it is about fatigue.

I believe that, too. I think fatigue is an issue at times though. Last year was crazy. I think we saw it towards the end of the reg season. Tourney was a new lease on life.

When needed, this depth is going to provide an intense full court. I am super excited about our defense with 5 guys returning to master this zone

he's not even close to being among the "least efficient players in the country." because he gets to the line so frequently - and makes his shots - he's more efficient than we think looking at his shooting percentage. his per last year was 17.1, not great but not bad. there were 34 players in the acc who logged at least 1000 minutes; oshae has the 18th best per among them.

Same goes for Chewy. I have no problem with him getting fouled and missing the dunk as long as he hits his foul shots.

I think this team will use more players & spread things around & be more successful than the team that had to ride Howard, Battle & Brissett to exhaustion to make it in as an #11 seed play-in. When you spread it around ...

I don't expect to see a lot of 40+ minute games this year. Battle won't score 19 and Brissett might find it harder to get double-doubles, even if they are both better players.

Really?

Love the kid, but I would be pumped if he made 2nd-Team All ACC.

you can not teach Oshae's smooth natural athleticism.

if he made bunnies last year, he would have averaged 17 per game while playing 3 on 5 offensively.

just wait.

if he made bunnies last year, he would have averaged 17 per game while playing 3 on 5 offensively.

just wait.

If I could dunk, I'd be playing professionally in Europe.

He's on track to have a strong year. NPOY? C'mon, man...

If I could dunk, I'd be playing professionally in Europe.

He's on track to have a strong year. NPOY? C'mon, man...

Respectfully, I'll assist you with the meaning of the term "Punchers chance"

4. “Puncher’s Chance” – having a small chance at success; not impossible, but unlikely
Boxing scenario – Even if the opponent has won 11 out of 12 rounds and it doesn’t look like he can win, if the fighter has just one punch that can knock the opponent out, they still have a chance to win the whole fight.

Real world scenario – If a presidential candidate has been doing poorly in the polls and throughout their whole campaign, on Election Day, the candidate still has a “puncher’s chance” of pulling out the win if citizens vote for him.

just wait.

Hopefully he's been working all summer on finishing at the rim. The crazy theatrics from him when driving to the bucket got him a lot of foul calls, but a lot of that was negated by not finishing at the rim at an alarming rate. More of a mental thing than anything else, and if he goes up strong to the basket, he can still get that foul call without the theatrics and has a better chance of finishing the play even if no foul is called.

he's not even close to being among the "least efficient players in the country." because he gets to the line so frequently - and makes his shots - he's more efficient than we think looking at his shooting percentage. his per last year was 17.1, not great but not bad. there were 34 players in the acc who logged at least 1000 minutes; oshae has the 18th best per among them.

Yeah, it was an interesting writeup in that sense -- not bad for a guy presumably covering the country as opposed to a specific school. But to me the most encouraging thing about Oshae was that his numbers were pretty steady in ACC play -- always a key for your best players. He was still at 14 and 8 against elite competition with no drop in FG% and better FT%. He also was hitting threes at a 38% clip so, if you're looking for a reason he might break out, that improved 3PT% would be something to highlight.

But I'm with you and SoBeCuse in thinking that we should see a player who's significantly improved in that way that most sophomores improve in their second year, but that that improvement will be in terms of efficiency rather than counting stats.

The amount of close in shots that OB missed last year were quite significant and if he improves on that his numbers will really go up in my opinion. I also think OB could play more minutes than people think based on his strength and rebound ability. Once we get into ACC play it might be hard to have Eli playing with Marek for extended stretches based on their level of strength.

I think Brissett could easily outscore Battle just based upon making his layups.

Brissett could easily end up being the leading scorer this year. As many have said, if he just learns to convert those close in shots, he will. Also, remember how well he converted free throws and he will likely shoot just as many this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom