Oshae Brissett: Celtics | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Brissett: Celtics

I find NBA contracts generally confusing. Does this mean it is guaranteed, and that he will likely be with the big boys? Or is this one of those stash and dash, put him in the minors for 40k/ year deals..
It sounds like it's a real, guaranteed money contract. The "stash and dash" you speak of is the two-way contract that was given to the other player mentioned in the Tweet.

I would guess Brissett got a 2 year deal, first year guaranteed, and the second year is a team option.

It sounds like it's a real, guaranteed money contract. The "stash and dash" you speak of is the two-way contract that was given to the other player mentioned in the Tweet.

I would guess Brissett got a 2 year deal, first year guaranteed, and the second year is a team option.

rumor is $300k is guaranteed even if he doesn’t make the roster. Don’t know the value if he makes the team.

rumor is $300k is guaranteed even if he doesn’t make the roster. Don’t know the value if he makes the team.
I think he would still count for cap purposes as a rookie contract, so his first year would be for either just under $900k or possibly $1.5M. I'm not entirely sure how they count guys coming off 2 way contracts. He doesn't have enough service time yet to qualify for a vet minimum.

Regardless of the contract, I believe they can still send him to the g-league. Wasn't Fab Melo sent there pretty quickly even as a 1st rounder?

Regardless of the contract, I believe they can still send him to the g-league. Wasn't Fab Melo sent there pretty quickly even as a 1st rounder?
It'll be weird this season, because I don't think the G-league stuff is settled. They'll do something but it's hard to say what.

In any event, this is probably a great year to have a shot if you're on a 2 way. Odds are some teams will get hit with Covid and need guys to put on the floor. I think the 2 way guys are going to get used a lot.

One thing I wonder about... 10 day contracts. Usually you use those in an emergency. But that'll be hard to do if guys need to go through a Covid clearing protocol in order to be roster eligible.

Anyway, there's still stuff to figure out.

I would be very surprised if it is a fully guaranteed contract.
I suspect it has a base guarantee for attending training camp but not much more than that. The Raptors already have a full roster of guaranteed contracts and are up against the tax line so would not want to do a full buy out. I am sure they could absorb a full Oshae minimum contract if he makes the team.

For example, they gave a 2 year contract to Henry Ellenson just recently, but it only had $50K guarantee. I suspect Brissett got more of a guarantee, but it could be the type of deal where it turns into a 2-way later on, and he got a bit more upside.

EDIT - As I typed this I saw a $300,000 figure thrown above by Bees. I was expecting something closer to $200K as a guarantee, so good for him.

It'll be weird this season, because I don't think the G-league stuff is settled. They'll do something but it's hard to say what.

In any event, this is probably a great year to have a shot if you're on a 2 way. Odds are some teams will get hit with Covid and need guys to put on the floor. I think the 2 way guys are going to get used a lot.

One thing I wonder about... 10 day contracts. Usually you use those in an emergency. But that'll be hard to do if guys need to go through a Covid clearing protocol in order to be roster eligible.

Anyway, there's still stuff to figure out.

Nothing has been announced that I am aware but I would be surprised if teams were not allowed to carry a few players on a "taxi squad" type basis. Or maybe as the season develops this would be created -- MLB seemed to constantly adjust their rules

The good thing for Oshae is that he was able to get a fairly nice training cap contract guarantee of $300K which is fairly high for a player of his type and pedigree.

I'm not sure exactly why he got that much of a guarantee-- interest from others? A bonus for being a good team guy last year? But good for him,

He had many solid attributes in his limited minutes with the Raps last year. Worked hard, showed potential as a +defender, decent IQ for a young player, and he would be able to get looks close to the basket via cut or drive at a fairly decent rate. But unfortunately his finishing touch and shooting never really improved from his freshman year at Syracuse. It was still terrible in the NBA. Given the rest of his game, I assume the Raptors scouts made the assessment that those skills would likely never develop. But if he turns those around he can be an NBA player.

The good thing for Oshae is that he was able to get a fairly nice training cap contract guarantee of $300K which is fairly high for a player of his type and pedigree.

I'm not sure exactly why he got that much of a guarantee-- interest from others? A bonus for being a good team guy last year? But good for him,

He had many solid attributes in his limited minutes with the Raps last year. Worked hard, showed potential as a +defender, decent IQ for a young player, and he would be able to get looks close to the basket via cut or drive at a fairly decent rate. But unfortunately his finishing touch and shooting never really improved from his freshman year at Syracuse. It was still terrible in the NBA. Given the rest of his game, I assume the Raptors scouts made the assessment that those skills would likely never develop. But if he turns those around he can be an NBA player.

Yeah, I wish him all the best, but I dunno.
I mean, if you keep missing bunnies at a rate that would make Elmer Fudd embarrassed for you, at what point is it something you can "fix"?

I certainly hope he can, and does.

Yeah, I wish him all the best, but I dunno.
I mean, if you keep missing bunnies at a rate that would make Elmer Fudd embarrassed for you, at what point is it something you can "fix"?

I certainly hope he can, and does.
Yeah, I feel like this is similar to the QB discussion on the football side. There are skills that can be learned and abilities that are innate. I feel like finishing and touch around the basket has a large instinctual component to it. Some guys are just really good at it. I remember thinking that was Melo's most defining trait to me from the first time I saw him play. No matter what he was doing near the basket, the ball seemed to always kiss softly off the glass and fall in. I think Brissett has all of the athletic ability necessary to be a pro but lacks that innate trait necessary to put him over the top.

Man being good at basketball is lucrative. He's barely good enough to get a long look, but still guaranteed 300k. If he doesn't make it, he pockets that and goes to Europe to make only 150k... At 22 years old without a degree.

Invest wisely, Oshae, and you'll never have to have a "real job"

REITs are good right now, I like NNN and O for income and capital gains.

Not actually investment advice, I could get in trouble for making a joke. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom