Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft

Undergraduate Tuition
Tuition for Syracuse University is $45,150 for the 2017/2018 academic year. This is 63% more expensive than the national average private non-profit four year college tuition of $27,755. The cost is 104% more expensive than the average New York tuition of $22,120 for 4 year colleges. Tuition ranks 165th in New York amongst 4 year colleges for affordability and is the 21st most expensive 4 year college in the state. Price does not vary by residence.
The school charges an additional fees of $1,605 in addition to tuition bringing the total effective in-state tuition to $46,755.
Housing Costs
On campus room and board is provided by the school at a cost of $15,558 per academic year. Students electing to live off campus elsewhere in Syracuse should budget at least this amount.
Books and Supplies
The estimated annual cost for books and supplies is $1,469.
Other Living Expenses
If living on-campus, students should budget for $1,698 in additional living expenses. Off-campus students should budget for $1,698 in other miscellaneous living expenses.
Total Costs
The annual tuition and living expense budget to go to Syracuse University was $65,480 for the 2017/2018 academic year. The cost is the same for all students regardless of New York residence status as there is no in-state discount.
Citation: Price data from the U.S. Department of Education's 2017-2018 and 2016-2017 IPEDS survey response for Syracuse University and represent reported costs for the 2016-2017 and 2015-2016 academic years.

Undergraduate Tuition
Tuition for Syracuse University is $45,150 for the 2017/2018 academic year. This is 63% more expensive than the national average private non-profit four year college tuition of $27,755. The cost is 104% more expensive than the average New York tuition of $22,120 for 4 year colleges. Tuition ranks 165th in New York amongst 4 year colleges for affordability and is the 21st most expensive 4 year college in the state. Price does not vary by residence.
The school charges an additional fees of $1,605 in addition to tuition bringing the total effective in-state tuition to $46,755.
Housing Costs
On campus room and board is provided by the school at a cost of $15,558 per academic year. Students electing to live off campus elsewhere in Syracuse should budget at least this amount.
Books and Supplies
Other Living Expenses
If living on-campus, students should budget for $1,698 in additional living expenses. Off-campus students should budget for $1,698 in other miscellaneous living expenses.
Total Costs
The annual tuition and living expense budget to go to Syracuse University was $65,480 for the 2017/2018 academic year. The cost is the same for all students regardless of New York residence status as there is no in-state discount.
Citation: Price data from the U.S. Department of Education's 2017-2018 and 2016-2017 IPEDS survey response for Syracuse University and represent reported costs for the 2016-2017 and 2015-2016 academic years.
You're not helping your case.

Undergraduate Tuition
Housing Costs
Books and Supplies
Other Living Expenses
Total Costs

So because Syracuse is insanely overpriced, players should stay instead of playing basketball for a lot of money, because they’re getting that insanely overpriced degree for free?

Makes sense.

Maybe we should be bitching about why these colleges cost $45,000 a year and have gone up at a rate far higher than basically anything else, rather than where Chris McCullough is playing basketball for pretty good money?

Sam Vecenie on Oshae's draft stock and Combine:

TLDR: He thinks he did enough to at least be considered for a 2nd round pick and thinks he made the right decision in remaining in the draft.

Oshae Brissett, Syracuse: Unlike Roby, Brissett’s final call has been made. On Tuesday, he announced that he’s going to stay in the NBA Draft. Brissett had a strong week after playing in the G League Elite Camp. He was one of the unmitigated standouts there, earning his way into the NBA Draft Combine after getting to show off more things offensively than he gets to at Syracuse. Instead of being forced to create everything for himself, he was able to get opportunities direct off the catch, or get back cuts going toward the basket. The increased space also helped him, and he looked every bit of the intriguing prospect scouts thought he was as a freshman.

At the NBA Draft Combine, his play was a bit more mixed. He obviously measured well at 6-8 in shoes with a 7-foot wingspan, and then additionally showcased a bit more explosiveness and bounce than he’s gotten a chance to show at Syracuse by pulling off a 37.5-inch vertical leap. But his performance in the five-on-five against ostensibly better competition was much more average.

That’s totally fine, though. Basically, Brissett moved himself from being something of a borderline top-100 prospect for teams into putting himself well into the mix for the second round. Maybe he gets drafted, maybe not. For some players, that might not be enough to stick in the draft. Here’s why though, in Brissett’s case, I think it’s a reasonable call. At Syracuse, he’s just not going to get the chance to showcase the things executives are looking for. The floor is always condensed at Syracuse offensively because few teams respect their shooters from deep. On defense, he’s going to be stuck playing in a zone and not getting a chance to prove himself in man-to-man defense.

This isn’t to say Jim Boeheim is a bad coach or anything; he’s not. Rather, their goals are misaligned here. Brissett needs to show that he can hit catch-and-shoot 3s, defend in man-to-man, and attack closeouts. But that’s not what he’ll be asked to do at Syracuse, who will likely ask him to create off the bounce, and try to make plays on his own — something that he’s just not quite good enough at because his handle isn’t great and his first step isn’t all that strong. Those aren’t necessarily skills Brissett will need at the next level. Even Brissett ends up going undrafted, it’s probably better for Brissett to develop in the G League for his pro career.

Really interesting post to reread with OBs latest run

needs to be reposted yearly when people ask why our players might leave “early”

it’s nothing to do with the quality of JB as a coach or our program as Vecenie stated.

Quincy is better thanOshae. We should be drooling to get him back

Oshae Brissett, Syracuse: Unlike Roby, Brissett’s final call has been made. On Tuesday, he announced that he’s going to stay in the NBA Draft. Brissett had a strong week after playing in the G League Elite Camp. He was one of the unmitigated standouts there, earning his way into the NBA Draft Combine after getting to show off more things offensively than he gets to at Syracuse. Instead of being forced to create everything for himself, he was able to get opportunities direct off the catch, or get back cuts going toward the basket. The increased space also helped him, and he looked every bit of the intriguing prospect scouts thought he was as a freshman.

At the NBA Draft Combine, his play was a bit more mixed. He obviously measured well at 6-8 in shoes with a 7-foot wingspan, and then additionally showcased a bit more explosiveness and bounce than he’s gotten a chance to show at Syracuse by pulling off a 37.5-inch vertical leap. But his performance in the five-on-five against ostensibly better competition was much more average.

That’s totally fine, though. Basically, Brissett moved himself from being something of a borderline top-100 prospect for teams into putting himself well into the mix for the second round. Maybe he gets drafted, maybe not. For some players, that might not be enough to stick in the draft. Here’s why though, in Brissett’s case, I think it’s a reasonable call. At Syracuse, he’s just not going to get the chance to showcase the things executives are looking for. The floor is always condensed at Syracuse offensively because few teams respect their shooters from deep. On defense, he’s going to be stuck playing in a zone and not getting a chance to prove himself in man-to-man defense.

This isn’t to say Jim Boeheim is a bad coach or anything; he’s not. Rather, their goals are misaligned here. Brissett needs to show that he can hit catch-and-shoot 3s, defend in man-to-man, and attack closeouts. But that’s not what he’ll be asked to do at Syracuse, who will likely ask him to create off the bounce, and try to make plays on his own — something that he’s just not quite good enough at because his handle isn’t great and his first step isn’t all that strong. Those aren’t necessarily skills Brissett will need at the next level. Even Brissett ends up going undrafted, it’s probably better for Brissett to develop in the G League for his pro career.

Really interesting post to reread with OBs latest run

needs to be reposted yearly when people ask why our players might leave “early”

it’s nothing to do with the quality of JB as a coach or our program as Vecenie stated.

"First step isn't all that strong"?

Say what you will about total skillset, but that wasn't my read on Oshae. First step was unquestionably one of his strengths.

"First step isn't all that strong"?

Say what you will about total skillset, but that wasn't my read on Oshae. First step was unquestionably one of his strengths.
Agreed...to me it was always about his finishing and 3s.

The point he made thats the main takeaway for me was:
“Brissett needs to show that he can hit catch-and-shoot 3s, defend in man-to-man, and attack closeouts. But that’s not what he’ll be asked to do at Syracuse”

just think folks, myself included, need to take that into consideration more when our guys leave. Might be simply because some scout told them they need a couple years out of the zone (right or wrong), nothing to do with hating JB or his coaching

“Brissett needs to show that he can hit catch-and-shoot 3s, defend in man-to-man, and attack closeouts. But that’s not what he’ll be asked to do at Syracuse”

just think folks, myself included, need to take that into consideration more when our guys leave. Might be simply because some scout told them they need a couple years out of the zone (right or wrong), nothing to do with hating JB or his coaching
Yeah, I can understand why it can be weird for people to wrap their head around the idea, but the reality is, the things a college coach may want a player to work on for the benefit of the program may not always line up with the skills the player needs to develop in order to find a place in the NBA.

Last edited:

You mean they don’t all need to show they can be a 2007 era type of go to guy who hits tough contested jumpers off the dribble, even though their 2020s NBA team will never once ask them to do that?

Guess I shouldn’t listen to all the guys who don’t watch the NBA on here.

You mean they don’t all need to show they can be a 2007 era type of go to guy who hits tough contested jumpers off the dribble, even though their 2020s NBA team will never once ask them to do that?

Guess I shouldn’t listen to all the guys who don’t watch the NBA on here.

Yeah this is where everyone screwed up their projections of Battle vs Oshae.

(long post quoting the article I posted awhile back)
Phew, I saw that I had been quoted from an old Oshae thread and assumed I was being called out for saying something that doesn't look good now lol. I think (I hope) I said at the time that I understood him leaving for some of the reasons Vecenie mentioned, but I'm honestly surprised that it seems to be turning out well for him. Very happy to see him continuing to prove me wrong.

OB took advantage of a decimated Pacers squad and got a double double in 42 minutes of action vs. OKC last night. Leading scorer for Thunder was Bazely.

He wasnt ready when he left. he is now.

might not have changed anything if he stayed...but it didn't help him to leave when he did...despite it working out down the road...
if i said anything stupid in this thread, just refer back to this response.

im with Cardiac on this...

He wasnt ready when he left. he is now.

might not have changed anything if he stayed...but it didn't help him to leave when he did...despite it working out down the road...

He was very lucky that the team from his country took a shine to him, and gave him the initial opportunity to hone his craft at the NBA level. Even though things didn't pan out in Toronto, I'm glad he got more than just a cup of coffee there. Not all undrafted prospects get that opportunity -- and no doubt, it helped him to begin elevating his game.

The rest was up to him, and he brought his skill level up to the elite level of his athleticism. Not all players can do that.

Watching him now [last night, being only the most recent example], when he's shooting so well and so efficient offensively -- man, what a transformation! Wouldn't remotely be surprised to see him now carve out a 10+ year NBA career.

He was very lucky that the team from his country took a shine to him, and gave him the initial opportunity to hone his craft at the NBA level. Even though things didn't pan out in Toronto, I'm glad he got more than just a cup of coffee there. Not all undrafted prospects get that opportunity -- and no doubt, it helped him to begin elevating his game.

The rest was up to him, and he brought his skill level up to the elite level of his athleticism. Not all players can do that.

Watching him now [last night, being only the most recent example], when he's shooting so well and so efficient offensively -- man, what a transformation! Wouldn't remotely be surprised to see him now carve out a 10+ year NBA career.
I think a reasonable goal is to play out his current contract, and then get one more.

I think a reasonable goal is to play out his current contract, and then get one more.

I don't disagree. Funny how perceptions have changed in just a few short weeks. Prior to being called up, merely landing a multi-year / partially guaranteed contract was a goal that seemed far from certain. The next hurdle is getting a second contract.

At his current level of performance, that doesn't seem unreasonable [barring the unforeseen, like injury] at all. Sky is the limit if he can continuing playing like this [not even suggesting 20+ ppg].

I don't disagree. Funny how perceptions have changed in just a few short weeks. Prior to being called up, merely landing a multi-year / partially guaranteed contract was a goal that seemed far from certain. The next hurdle is getting a second contract.

At his current level of performance, that doesn't seem unreasonable [barring the unforeseen, like injury] at all. Sky is the limit if he can continuing playing like this [not even suggesting 20+ ppg].
Yeah I think a big question is if he's done enough already to get next year's option picked up. I believe he has.

The year after that is interesting. Minutes could be harder to come by next season. But he's also on a great value contract. I think odds are good that year is also picked up.

Whether anything happens after that is a lot foggier. It certainly seems he projects to be able to contribute. Needs to sustain it.

Yeah I think a big question is if he's done enough already to get next year's option picked up. I believe he has.

The year after that is interesting. Minutes could be harder to come by next season. But he's also on a great value contract. I think odds are good that year is also picked up.

Whether anything happens after that is a lot foggier. It certainly seems he projects to be able to contribute. Needs to sustain it.
he just lead his team in scoring in an elimination game win in the playoffs. (granted against a weak team...but still true)

How many active players in the NBA can say that?? cant be that many.

Would be better for him if his option is declined at this point...letting the bidding begin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom