Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft

I think the issue is complicated and isn't as simple as just saying you're rooting for our guys or you're not.

With OB I understand the mixed feelings on him coming back and I disagree that it is a case of people being enamored with the shiny new item that they haven't yet seen on the court. We all watched OB plod through a season last year where he was clearly an important contributor, but also spent a good portion of the season looking like he wasn't always giving an all out effort on the court (whether accurate or not) and at times appeared to be playing in a way that was intended to advance his interests possibly over doing what was most important for the team. I want guys who are going to make SU winning their absolute priority while they are on the court. I think if OB gave off that vibe all the time you would likely have 100% of posters lamenting that he was considering leaving early.

I also think people are being realistic in their evaluation of our guys chances to play in the NBA based on what they've seen historically, what they know about the player and what the scouting reports and mocks are saying about the NBA's evaluation of those players. Most of us aren't evaluating whether these guys can ultimately catch on with a team in Turkey or Greece.

Personally I am not a cheerleader for guys that are leaving early with little prospect of making an NBA roster when they have eligibility remaining. I guess I am a bit of a traditionalist and don't feel like college basketball should be used solely as a stepping stone for individual player's efforts to get to the pros. I really hate what the game has become in that regard. In many ways I feel like kids are making a commitment to a college program in exchange for the program working to maximize their chances to play at the highest level and I guess I am ok with that. I feel differently with respect to a guy who is leaving early with little prospect of making the NBA. I would prefer those guys would take a G league track from the beginning.

Last edited:
I think the issue is complicated and isn't as simple as just saying you're rooting for our guys or you're not.

With OB I understand the mixed feelings on him coming back and I disagree that it is a case of people being enamored with the shiny new item that they haven't yet seen on the court. We all watched OB plod through a season last year where he was clearly an important contributor, but also spent a good portion of the season looking like he wasn't always giving an all out effort on the court (whether accurate or not) and at times appeared to be playing in a way that was intended to advance his interests possible over doing what was most important for the team. I want guys who are going to make SU winning their absolute priority while they are on the court. I think if OB gave off that vibe all the time you would likely have 100% of posters lamenting that he was considering leaving early.

I also think people are being realistic in their evaluation of our guys chances to play in the NBA based on what they've seen historically, what they know about the player and what the scouting reports and mocks are saying about the NBA's evaluation of those players. Most of us aren't evaluating whether they guys can ultimately catch on with a team in Turkey or Greece.

Personally I am not a cheerleader for guys that are leaving early with little prospect of making an NBA roster when they have eligibility remaining. I guess I am a bit of a traditionalist and don't feel like college basketball should be used solely as a stepping stone for individual player's efforts to get to the pros. I really hate what the game has become in that regard. In many ways I feel like kids are making a commitment to a college program in exchange for the program working to maximize their chances to play at the highest level and I guess I am ok with that. I feel differently with respect to a guy who is leaving early with little prospect of making the NBA. I would prefer those guys would take a G league track from the beginning.
What a great post! I’m so sick of the guys who just MoveOn I don’t respect the vantage point of not just watching a player to come back for selfish reasons but also weighing and analyzing his current draft values. Feeling that he has unfinished business and room to improve right here in Syracuse.

I will probably be censored for this post by many.

I feel that Oshae Brissette has the potential to be the best atheletic basketball player that we have had in a long time. He has the explosive quickness and ability to cut and get to the basket, making the opponent’s defense look none existent. If he could only compete the action (by putting the ball in the basket),he would be (wait for it) spectular. He has descriptive flaws in his offensive game which can be easily improved if and only if he concentrated on working at it. Personally, I believe that these would easier be corrected at the college level rather than at the pro level.

Realizing that Oshae has his own team of advisers (which definitely gave him considerably different advice on how to play last year), his play was very frustrating last year. Instead of following the coaches’ direction on how to improve his game, he played his game. As a fan, I can complain about his three point shooting percentage and his difficulty in finishing his drives but can admire his rebounding skills and other aspects of his game.

He is trying to go pro and is going about it based on the direction of his advisors which he readily listens to. As a supporter, I wish him all the success possible. I would like to see him back at Syracuse next year and hope that he did everything possible to retain his eligibility if he does not get drafted or picked up by a team wherever. If he does not choose to come back, then good luck to him in his career and the team moves on.

I feel that Oshae Brissette has the potential to be the best atheletic basketball player that we have had in a long time. He has the explosive quickness and ability to cut and get to the basket, making the opponent’s defense look none existent. If he could only compete the action (by putting the ball in the basket),he would be (wait for it) spectular. He has descriptive flaws in his offensive game which can be easily improved if and only if he concentrated on working at it. Personally, I believe that these would easier be corrected at the college level rather than at the pro level.

Realizing that Oshae has his own team of advisers (which definitely gave him considerably different advice on how to play last year), his play was very frustrating last year. Instead of following the coaches’ direction on how to improve his game, he played his game. As a fan, I can complain about his three point shooting percentage and his difficulty in finishing his drives but can admire his rebounding skills and other aspects of his game.

He is trying to go pro and is going about it based on the direction of his advisors which he readily listens to. As a supporter, I wish him all the success possible. I would like to see him back at Syracuse next year and hope that he did everything possible to retain his eligibility if he does not get drafted or picked up by a team wherever. If he does not choose to come back, then good luck to him in his career and the team moves on.
Well freakin said

Word

Nice post. I wish him well too. My only issue would be that he does not negatively impact our APR score.

Brissett has until May 29 to withdraw from the draft and return to campus. But he’s not leaning any way as of now.

“I’m not sure,” he said. “I’m just really trying to gather all the information I can, honestly. I think I’ll take it to the last day and just weigh all my options.”

Yeah, I guess that might not make sense to a lot of people. I don't dislike Brissett, but I just don't think a lot of his game. He was only the 4th or 5th best player on the team last year, even though he was our leading rebounder. His scoring, rebounding, 3 point shooting and his free throw shooting were all noticeably worse last year than the year before. He got worse, and I don't see him being even as good as his freshman year next year, let alone better.

I just think we have guys who might be better. Do you want Braswell to transfer out and then turn into a really good player in a couple years at some mid-major? Do you want to stunt other players' growth so that O'Brissy can audition for the league again next year?

Eh, I've seen that movie. I don't need to see the sequel. I think Hughes was way more important than Brissett last year. Brissett was the fourth guy in our Big Three, behind even Frank, who had a crap year by almost every measure, too. Buddy Boeheim, who some people said wasn't even a Division One player, was without question more important to us by the end of the season.

I think the offense is way better with Dolezaj in there than Brissett. I think you don't start Dolezaj over Hughes because of the three point shooting, and I think you do need a rebounder there. But I am ready to believe that Guerrier can give us 6-7 rebounds a game as a freshman, maybe more. If we can get that from Guerrier, we won't remember Brissett.

I guess that for me, it comes down to this: With Brissett as my starting PF next year, I don't see us in the Top 4 of the conference. I think it becomes a weak spot on the floor for us, compared to the top teams.

I think we have under-rated guards. We have unproven depth at center, but we have some good players at forward. I think we have one too many, in fact, and I think the other three have bigger upside.

We just definitely see this differently, and frankly I hope you're correct b/c it certainly sounds like Oshae is gone. Dude had a tough year, no doubt. Where I disagree with you, to an extent, is what he could -- theoretically -- be next year and also in terms of how bad a season he actually had.

You're saying he was awful but his per 40 numbers are almost identical -- he just played fewer minutes. He also had a terrible shooting year but there's no reason he couldn't improve in all three areas (inside the arc, outside the arc and at the line).

That said, it could be a moot point if he's gone anyway.

I am in the minority but I don't see the explosive athleticism. I think his two best attributes are he has good hands and a quick second jump. Both of which help his rebounding. As for the rest I just never came away saying "wow that was athletic".

In my ideal world, he impresses at the camp, but is still advised to return to college to refine some things, so he comes back, improves, hits the winning shot in the National Championship game, gets drafted top 5 next year, thoroughly enjoys his experience, finds true love, completes enough credits that he can finish his degree work easily later, retires after 12 years in the NBA with his degree, comes back to Newhouse for some broadcasting courses, and then embarks upon a 20 year media career, making us all proud beyond the days we die.

It could happen.

Good post! But here is where the rubber meets the road on this entire situation. Him staying at SU does not give him any chance to make money...right now. If the rumors of a child being involved as part of his decision are true, and considering what we now know about the apparently FALSE rumor that he'd "blown off" taking his finals and/or classes, then the decision to go now makes so much more sense.
My issue with some folks here is that they often see these decisions like its a personal affront to the program or something, when its often nothing of the sort. An athlete is offered a chance to make a large sum of money doing what he loves. If this was a tennis, golf, or lacrosse player, or even a kid in computer science getting a lucrative offer to leave and make money, would some be as up in arms over it? I think not. And, would those same folks start nitpicking every flaw, highlight every deficiency, point out every reason why THEY believe the player is making a "bad" decision, and how he'll NEVER play at the highest level, in OB's case the NBA.
Once OB makes his decision, I'll wish him the best and truly hope he succeeds- I think every one of us feels the same way. I just choose not to dump on him, his game, and his decision, as he makes his way out the door. JMHO

Last edited:
Making hay? Only on a farm, maybe.
Making some money overseas - yes, he has a pretty decent chance to do that.
I don't see him *ever* playing in the NBA.

If C.J. Fair, James Southerland, Preston Shumpert, Eric Devendorf, Paul Harris, Gerry McNamara, Rakeem Christmas, Arinze Onuaku, Rick Jackson, Tyler Lydon, and so many others failed to make it - and I mean, not even a sniff - I certainly don't see what it is about Brissett that makes him so much better than all of them.

I want our guys to do well, and wish them all well. But a dose of realism is in order.

You really don’t see any difference in OB chances vs GMac? Really?

I was reading another school’s board and they were talking about their prospects in this draft. There was a decidedly positive spin on their outlook- no one was predicting stardom, but there wasn’t the pervasive negativity you often see here.
OB has a legit chance to make hay, whether in the draft or elsewhere. I’ll never understand the almost pathological need to degrade OUR own players. These are our guys, Orangemen forever. Yet the abject self-loathing persists. Sad.
Well...when the "Orangemen forever" voluntarily leave the program 2 years early with little hope of real professional success it tends to leave fans disappointed over what could have been. And the shorter period on the hill the sooner they are forgotten unless they did something special like Melo. I bet Tyler Lydon's fans have been just thrilled with his play the past 2 seasons.

Well...when the "Orangemen forever" voluntarily leave the program 2 years early with little hope of real professional success it tends to leave fans disappointed over what could have been. And the shorter period on the hill the sooner they are forgotten unless they did something special like Melo. I bet Tyler Lydon's fans have been just thrilled with his play the past 2 seasons.
Once an Orangeman, always an Orangeman. Period.
Tyler was an integral part of a Final 4 team. His block vs Gonzaga, and that one crucial comeback trey vs Virginia, have won him my undying loyalty for the rest of time. JMHO

Lydon missed virtually his entire rookie season because he got hurt. He gets hurt at Syracuse then what happens? Weird take on him when he broke the NCAA tournament block record.

Last edited:
He has descriptive flaws in his offensive game which can be easily improved if and only if he concentrated on working at it.

I liked this post for this specific line. OB is a serious athlete and his flaws are correctable. Is it on him or the staff or both that they didn't improve more this season? I don't know and don't necessarily care that much. But to want him gone is to ignore the possibility that he could come back improved around the rim, shooting better from the FT line (we all watched him shoot 78% from there on 6 FTs a game as a frosh, which is not a small sample size) and making more threes (probably never going to threaten 40% but easily could be 34-35% -- again, we saw him shoot 33% on 166 threes as a frosh). Brissett could be a really good player for us so I'm confused by how many people want him gone.

I was reading another school’s board and they were talking about their prospects in this draft. There was a decidedly positive spin on their outlook- no one was predicting stardom, but there wasn’t the pervasive negativity you often see here.
OB has a legit chance to make hay, whether in the draft or elsewhere. I’ll never understand the almost pathological need to degrade OUR own players. These are our guys, Orangemen forever. Yet the abject self-loathing persists. Sad.

Hmm...speaking for myself, I’ve more often been guilty of overrating our guys chances. Flynn, Wes, Malachi, Ennis, Christmas, Gbinije - I thought they’d all do better than they did/have done.

So I know I’m not being negative when I say that I don’t see it with Oshea. If I’m wrong, well...won’t be the first time. See the above list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom