Oshae, Tyus, Tyler Lydon and Elijah | Syracusefan.com

Oshae, Tyus, Tyler Lydon and Elijah

CsonkaStash

Starter
Maybe its because I am a 45 year old former D1 AA football player that never really had the chance to make any money at it (and often even sat the bench at Albany) but it does not make sense to me how these kids could throw away the amazing experience of college for a few more peanuts.

Matt Leinart is the model I would use if I was a basketball player as well. He said " College Life is too fun to give it up". Just think, each of these players were Big Man on Campus and everyone knew them. Girls all over them and everyone inviting them to parties. Their Basketball team friends did the same thing and they had 30k fans to watch them play in a huge stage.

They give it all up to end up playing for the Mad Ants or some team Internationally or may even be out of Basketball. What am I missing here in the equation. Is it the agents that get to them? I mean they are not exactly eating Ramen Noodles like I was in college and couch fishing for quarters to buy a 22 ounce Bud Ice at the convenient store.

What tempts them to leave early when in reality they know they will not play in the NBA?

Maybe its because I am a 45 year old former D1 AA football player that never really had the chance to make any money at it (and often even sat the bench at Albany) but it does not make sense to me how these kids could throw away the amazing experience of college for a few more peanuts.

Matt Leinart is the model I would use if I was a basketball player as well. He said " College Life is too fun to give it up". Just think, each of these players were Big Man on Campus and everyone knew them. Girls all over them and everyone inviting them to parties. Their Basketball team friends did the same thing and they had 30k fans to watch them play in a huge stage.

They give it all up to end up playing for the Mad Ants or some team Internationally or may even be out of Basketball. What am I missing here in the equation. Is it the agents that get to them? I mean they are not exactly eating Ramen Noodles like I was in college and couch fishing for quarters to buy a 22 ounce Bud Ice at the convenient store.

What tempts them to leave early when in reality they know they will not play in the NBA?

Didn't all play in the NBA?

Lydon was a Hop guy. Hop left. So Lydon didn’t want to comeback. He got drafted in the first round. Remember JB had his press conference after the 2017 season and didn’t know Lydon had already signed with agent as the news had been out for an hour.

Battle got his degree and wasn’t going to get anything more.
SWC brought this to my attention Battle played the most minutes by an SU basketball player in a single season his Sophomore year.
He got hurt at the end of his Junior year no reason to put my trend on his tires while at SU for free.

Oshae Brissett didn’t exactly get coaching to help advance his pro career prospects. He was playing within our system to continue our mediocrity.

Eli was in college 4 years and wanted to start his pro career. No reason to play another year in college.

Our program doesn’t seem like it’s a lot of fun to be part of now. So if I were a prospect I would leave as soon as I could.

Once he was established, Matt Leinart was getting drafted decently high whenever he came out.

Lydon was a Hop guy. Hop left. So Lydon didn’t want to comeback. He got drafted in the first round. Remember JB had his press conference after the 2017 season and didn’t know Lydon had already signed with agent as the news had been out for an hour.

SWC brought this to my attention Battle played the most minutes by an SU I a single season his Sophomore year.
He got hurt at the end of his Junior year no reason to put my trend on his tires while at SU for free.

Oshae Brissett didn’t exactly get coaching to help advance his pro career prospects. He was playing within our system to continue our mediocrity.

Eli was in college 4 years and wanted to start his pro career. No reason to play another year in college.

Our program doesn’t seem like it’s a lot of fun to be part of now. So if I were a prospect I would leave as soon as I could.
This is incorrect. He could have advanced his pro career prospects by playing to his strengths as opposed to becoming something he wasn't. His last year was an audition to go pro and we saw it by him hanging around the perimeter instead of being down on the post and the block. He could never shoot. He went to Vegas instead of staying on campus that Summer to figure out what went wrong and what to improve on heading into his second year.

Once he was established, Matt Leinart was getting drafted decently high whenever he came out.
Leinart did make a mistake IMO.
The hype around him I think he goes first to San Francisco in the 2005 draft. Alex Smith-Aaron Rodgers draft. Leinart was seen as the best QB that draft and shocked people he came back.

2006 he was lucky to go 10th as the pros after another season in college saw he wasn’t really the engine driving that offense.

SWC brought this to my attention Battle played the most minutes by an SU basketball player in a single season his Sophomore year.

How could it not be fun to play at SU and be in college in general? Lydon has regrets about leaving early as did Donte Greene

Understood but he could have left earlier and made more money most likely. He valued the college experience more.

This is incorrect. He could have advanced his pro career prospects by playing to his strengths as opposed to becoming something he wasn't. His last year was an audition to go pro and we saw it by him hanging around the perimeter instead of being down on the post and the block. He could never shoot. He went to Vegas instead of staying on campus that Summer to figure out what went wrong and what to improve on heading into his second year.
What is our offensive system?
Oshae Brissett is getting better coaching for his career now then he was here.
Our coaches job is to win games. Not develop pro prospects thus some guys are going to leave when they want to be pros.

CS, nothing personal, but this is just a very old-fashioned take.

Whether it's the NBA, or the G-League or Russia, these guys are all getting paid to play basketball. Lydon made $3.5 million his first two years with the Nuggets. Hughes has earned $2.4 million with the Jazz. Oshae makes $300k. NBA players get girls and attend parties also.

(I'm not an NBA contract guru so feel free to pounce on me if I've somehow misinterpreted guaranteed vs. non-guaranteed money, etc.)

Eli is already done?

They made money.

Also listen to Lydon’s interview with Devendorf. You may learn something.
Second the vote for the podcasts.

In fact this subject comes up with several of the guests. These guys, who are top 50 recruits, and D1 starters, their goal is the NBA more than anything else. They basically can't fathom any other option until they can't stick with a NBA team. Then overseas can be fun for those with the right attitude about it. Paul Harris speaks repeatedly about how playing overseas gave him a better perspective on life, and was a great experience for his entire family.

We probably dont get those prospects if part of our pitch wasn’t our proven track record of getting kids draft opportunities before they’re old enough to drink.

Last edited:
What is our offensive system?
Oshae Brissett is getting better coaching for his career now then he was here.
Our coaches job is to win games. Not develop pro prospects thus some guys are going to leave when they want to be pros.

What coaching is he getting? He's not in the league. Jerami Grant, who was arguably less talented than Brissett was when he entered college, got a long-term deal is in position to run away with the Most Improved Player award. The system was the same then as it is now just with less talent to make it go.

I mean to each its own, but the argument that gets missed is guys who take the quick payday vs guys who stay to develop their game so they can earn that 2nd Nba contract. There is a reason some of our guys are no longer on Nba rosters.

What coaching is he getting? He's not in the league. Jerami Grant, who was arguably less talented than Brissett was when he entered college, got a long-term deal is in position to run away with the Most Improved Player award. The system was the same then as it is now just with less talent to make it go.
Jerami Grant was a stud out of DeMatha. He was a top 50 recruit.
He was a lot more well known than Oshae Brissett.
Grant would have been a first or second team all-America if he stayed another season.
He wanted to get paid to play basketball. He has done fine.

Brissett wasn’t going to get better playing another year of free basketball for Syracuse.

CS, nothing personal, but this is just a very old-fashioned take.

Whether it's the NBA, or the G-League or Russia, these guys are all getting paid to play basketball. Lydon made $3.5 million his first two years with the Nuggets. Hughes has earned $2.4 million with the Jazz. Oshae makes $300k. NBA players get girls and attend parties also.

(I'm not an NBA contract guru so feel free to pounce on me if I've somehow misinterpreted guaranteed vs. non-guaranteed money, etc.)
Hughes couldn't possibly do anymore in college, not to pick on Lydon and 3.5 mil is great, but where is he now? Would you rather be Lydon or Grant?

I mean to each its own, but the argument that gets missed is guys who take the quick payday vs guys who stay to develop their game so they can earn that 2nd Nba contract. There is a reason some of our guys are no longer on Nba rosters.

SIGH.

Yeah, because FULL TIME PROS can't possibly develops their games half as well as when they're also full-time college students, with limited practice hours and other obligations. :rolleyes:

Here's some fun with math - it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a 2nd contract, IF you never got the 1st one.

Ask CJ & KrisJo about how great it was to stay for 4 years to develop their games so that they could get a better 2nd contract.

There's a reason MOST guys from ALL schools are no longer on NBA rosters.
This is not somehow a uniquely Syracuse thing.

Also - literally NONE of these guys was ever projected as some sort of NBA lock.
So, making it at all, and getting that first contract, period - was a HUGE WIN for them.

Anything after that is:
- gravy
- completely on them to make happen.

Hughes couldn't possibly do anymore in college, not to pick on Lydon and 3.5 mil is great, but where is he now? Would you rather be Lydon or Grant?

BOTH guys left after Soph year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom