OT: 30 for 30 | Syracusefan.com

OT: 30 for 30

normaliswear said:
Just watching the 30 for 30 on DVR now on Tonya Harding. Anybody else see this? I can't believe this actually makes me feel REALLY bad for her. sheesh

I taped it. Looking forward to watching it

Just watching the 30 for 30 on DVR now on Tonya Harding. Anybody else see this? I can't believe this actually makes me feel REALLY bad for her. sheesh

I haven't seen this episode yet, but the several I have seen in this series have been uniformly very good.

I just watched it, too. It was an excellent documentary. I felt sorry for her, also. Just as I did when it was happening. As was depicted here, the media back then considered Kerrigan a princess and demonized Harding as "white trash."

Yes, she was part of the cover-up, but I believe her when she says she had nothing to do with the attack and had no advance knowledge of it.

Last edited:
Harding has had it rough. I mean, during the course of her life she was framed by her husband for assaulting her biggest rival, was involved in a high-speed car chase with a stalker, was abducted at knife-point in a separate incident and was forced to ram her car into a tree in order to escape, had her truck stolen, had two masked men invade her home and assault her, was threatened with gang rape and execution, and then, most recently, saw five men armed with rifles trying to sneak onto her property. These are all separate allegations that she has made to the police and media.

Either she has the worst luck in the world, or she is mentally unstable and a compulsive liar. My money is on the latter. She's nuts and she deserved to be thrown out of the figure skating world.

I caught a few minutes of the show early on. Never been a Harding fan. I commented to my wife, she was very into that whole incident when it happened, that I was a little surprised that the part that I saw seemed to be very sympathetic about the hardships that Tonya had to deal with in her life. Didn't square with my take on Harding at all.

But what do i know?

As she said the night she "won" the crown, "now I know who my friends are". Yep. They were the ones that injured your biggest rival. Harding was and is trash.

Never seemed like she was quite right in the head, to me

As with most 30 for 30's I thought it was a good show, for those who didn't watch it or don't have the time this sums it up

Tonya Harding - White Trash, who came from a poor, abusive family
Nancy K - the skating queen who could do no wrong and was screwed out of a gold medal

Wish Nancy would have agreed to be interviewed on the show along with the criminal Jeff Gilooly who has now changed his name to something Stone

Can't believe no one has commented that this happened 20 YEARS AGO! Still was fascinating. Forgot what an absolutely huge story that was. Highest rated Olympic event ever? That's amazing.

I feel bad or Tonya in that her mother beat her and her husband beat her and she seems to have had tough life and the one thing she worked for and could take pride in, she ruined. It seems she's found peace though, and I'm happy for her.

Maybe... and all the circumstantial evidence sure points to her being involved. But, Gillooly def saw her as a meal ticket. If by some tiny chance she really was innocent of being involved in the plot Harding would have to be one of the saddest victims in sports history. Of course, if she did it, she reaped what she sewed. No matter what though, she had a really rough childhood... could really mess a kid up.

I just watched it, too. It was an excellent documentary. I felt sorry for her, also. Just as I did when it was happening. As was depicted here, the media back then considered Kerrigan a princess and demonized Harding as "white trash."

Yes, she was part of the cover-up, but I believe her when she says she had nothing to do with the attack and had no advance knowledge of it.

An interview with her then husband Jeff Gillooly, now Jeff Stone, swears she knew everything:

AKN: It seems, all these years later, that is the one fact that remains disputed. You've consistently maintained that she knew.

JS: Of course she did. I think most people know that she did. She's a very unhappy person, from what I can tell. I don't know. I haven't talked to her in 20 years but I occasionally see her on television and I kind of see—I've read some stories in the paper about what her personal life has become and the trouble she's got there, and it's just sad to me. And that's probably, if I had one real regret, we rode her career. We absolutely rode her career. She was the best figure skater—women's figure skater—that ever lived. Still is, in my opinion. We decided to do something really stupid there, and it ruined her. She'll never be remembered for how wonderful a figure skater she was. She'll be remembered for what I talked her into doing.

http://deadspin.com/finding-gillooly-what-happened-to-figure-skatings-inf-1482669790

Great show. Tonya came across as still self involved, clueless and even callous. I can't blame Nancy for not participating. I wouldn't want to relive that whole chapter in my life either.

Caught this last night, another job we'll done by 30 for 30 (and I don't usually care for espn non-game programming). Her childhood sucked no doubt, and maybe that can be blamed for the kind of person she was/is. As the program went on though I couldn't help being rubbed the wrong way by her more and more. She comes off very self centered, painting herself as the victim and living in a delusional bubble. She was shocked that Kerrigan wanted nothing to do with her the first time they were in the same setting after the incident, playing the "I thought we were friends card". She also convinced herself that all the attention she received during the spectacle was more due to people being fans of her skate abilities.

I guess we will never know if she knew anything before it happend. I will admit if she found out afterward, it would be tough to come forward.

I struggle to feel too bad for Kerrigan because she likely made 10x the money by being the victim and become the nations darling then she would have by simply competing in the Olympics.

She was almost murdered, it wasn't her fault what was she supposed to do?

I struggle to feel too bad for Kerrigan because she likely made 10x the money by being the victim and become the nations darling then she would have by simply competing in the Olympics.
that's not the point. She was assaulted. Her chance to win was diminished. She lost out on a national title that she worked her whole life for. How much is that worth?

you have always hated kerrigan? Why? She was the victim here.
she was.

im not exactly sure, i just know she rubbed me the wrong way.

i didnt like her before the hit, and the over the top media coverage and designation of the angel and the devil after just pissed me off.

She was almost murdered, it wasn't her fault what was she supposed to do?

She was hit in the knee with a pipe. I didn't say anything was here fault just that she did alright end game. You can come crack me in the knee with a pipe right now for the amount of money she made off of it.

She reminds me of my first wife.

I didn't know Tanya Harding had a sex tape until last night. She is very boring in the sack, according to the video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom