OT advice re camping | Syracusefan.com

OT advice re camping

Pearl309

Hall of Fame
So I decided this summer to take July/August off and road trip back to NY and camp along the way slowly inching my way back to a move to upstate. I unfortunately was late in the Airbnb department so I got myself a truck bed air mattress and truck bed tent and am heading back from Cali. Any advice for parks (ideally) or sites anywhere upstate to enjoy some time with my dog?
No real area is off limits but I’m looking at houses to buy from Syracuse to Albany areas and just gonna enjoy the mosquitoes and weather.
Any advice is good advice

Watkins Glen. Hike the Gorge.
3EB130FE-1927-44B4-9D97-F91CC2D5DA06.jpeg

So I decided this summer to take July/August off and road trip back to NY and camp along the way slowly inching my way back to a move to upstate. I unfortunately was late in the Airbnb department so I got myself a truck bed air mattress and truck bed tent and am heading back from Cali. Any advice for parks (ideally) or sites anywhere upstate to enjoy some time with my dog?
No real area is off limits but I’m looking at houses to buy from Syracuse to Albany areas and just gonna enjoy the mosquitoes and weather.
Depends on what you like. I like the Adirondacks and prefer state campgrounds because of their rustic nature and they seem to be more private. I like:

Brown Tract Pond

Lake Harris
(has a nice small beach that is not really designated as a beach but people bring their dogs to them and hang out)

Lake Eaton

Limekiln (very big and near Inlet/Old Forge)

Like everyone has said, you almost cant miss with any of the state campgrounds and it really just depends on what areas you want to see and what you want to do. But to address the idea of "Between syracuse and albany" they have free campsites along the NYS canal system bike trail. I just thought they might be a convenient and free place to pull your truck in if you were just looking for a quick place to crash for the night...canal pretty much follows the thruway so it might come in handy
Water Levels - New York State Canals

It’s been so long since I’ve spent any meaningful time in the area. I went to school in ithaca so definitely spending time their. A friend has a place at 4th lake and another at Saratoga lake. Just not really sure what’s in between the three.

Like everyone has said, you almost cant miss with any of the state campgrounds and it really just depends on what areas you want to see and what you want to do. But to address the idea of "Between syracuse and albany" they have free campsites along the NYS canal system bike trail. I just thought they might be a convenient and free place to pull your truck in if you were just looking for a quick place to crash for the night...canal pretty much follows the thruway so it might come in handy
Water Levels - New York State Canals
This is perfect
Thank you

Depends on what you like. I like the Adirondacks and prefer state campgrounds because of their rustic nature and they seem to be more private. I like:

Brown Tract Pond

Lake Harris
(has a nice small beach that is not really designated as a beach but people bring their dogs to them and hang out)

Lake Eaton

These are great thank you

You should post this in the travel forum as well. You'll get additional traffic, including areas along the way you might think about. What route are you planning back?

Brown Tract Pond

Lake Harris

Lake Eaton

I ran by these with some old college friends and brown tract pond is getting rave reviews. Sites 55 70 and 72 seem to be the favorites

You should post this in the travel forum as well. You'll get additional traffic, including areas along the way you might think about. What route are you planning back?
NY to CA I was gonna take the i90 route and prob deviate south before getting all the way to Seattle. Not 100% planned out on that part yet.
Heading to NY I’m taking i40 and heading to DC area to visit family and then north.
I didn’t even know we had a travel forum haha

I ran by these with some old college friends and brown tract pond is getting rave reviews. Sites 55 70 and 72 seem to be the favorites
It's the "woodsiest" of them. The roads leading to it are dirt/crushed stone but not too bad. If you go, stop by the Raquette Lake Hotel & Taproom. VERY cozy but friendly bar.

mods, is there a way to move this to the travel forum?

It's the "woodsiest" of them. The roads leading to it are dirt/crushed stone but not too bad. If you go, stop by the Raquette Lake Hotel & Taproom. VERY cozy but friendly bar.
lol I looked it up, I'm just imagining the record player scratching to a halt when I walk in.