OT advice re camping | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT advice re camping

For $20 a night you can pitch a tent in my back yard. We have birds, deer, squirrels, there used to be a den of foxes (until my neighbor drenched everything in ammonia and started playing Led Zepplin), and occasionally, a Boston Terrier. Access to the hose for bathing and refreshments is free. For an extra $10, you can use the toilet in the pool hut (pool is off limits unless you pay the $35 per day resort fee, which also entitles you to shoot hoops in the driveway, and frolic on the swing set).

Last edited:
This is perfect
Thank you
I bought a truck tent and air mattress a year ago...will be making my second trip back to cny/adirondacks/vt and nh with it this summer. Its nice to be off the ground when it rains :)

lol I looked it up, I'm just imagining the record player scratching to a halt when I walk in.

The Tap Room is a must-stop if you are in the area. I camp at Golden Beach State Campground on the opposite end of the lake every year (highly recommended spot). While the Tap Room is definitely "rustic," it gets a combo of townies and tourists in there, and the food is pretty solid.

Funny story - my brother and I were at the Tap Room on a Thursday night in August one year. It was us and maybe 7 or 8 other people in there - mostly townies. Suddenly, the door swings open and about 8-10 college-aged kids walk in, including about 5 or 6 girls wearing tiny dresses and high heels. Apparently, there is a very high-end summer camp for kids on Raquette Lake ($15,000 for 7 weeks) and these college kids were camp counselors celebrating their last night at the camp. It was quite a sight.

What part of Cali are you leaving from? Going through Utah and stopping/camping at the parks there is highly recommended. Most gorgeous part of the country outside of Big Sur.

The Tap Room is a must-stop if you are in the area. I camp at Golden Beach State Campground on the opposite end of the lake every year (highly recommended spot).
I like Golden Beach for the beach which is beautiful and huge and if I had a boat, it's even better. However, I find the sites close together, crowded and the grounds can stay noisy well into the night. That's attractive to some but with kids, I like it a little quieter.

I like Golden Beach for the beach which is beautiful and huge and if I had a boat, it's even better. However, I find the sites close together, crowded and the grounds can stay noisy well into the night. That's attractive to some but with kids, I like it a little quieter.

Hmm when is the last time you were there? I remember it a bit like that when I was a kid, but now it's mostly dead quiet there at night. I also think that as long as you're not on that main strip leading into the place, where the sites are right on top of one another, the rest of it is good sized sites.

Hmm when is the last time you were there? I remember it a bit like that when I was a kid, but now it's mostly dead quiet there at night. I also think that as long as you're not on that main strip leading into the place, where the sites are right on top of one another, the rest of it is good sized sites.
It was 3 and 4 years ago but maybe an anomaly.

I ran by these with some old college friends and brown tract pond is getting rave reviews. Sites 55 70 and 72 seem to be the favorites

That’s a great one. I recently camped at Buck Pond, up near Saranac Lake. Loved it. Lots of big sites and not right on top of each other, lots of water sites but even a lot of the non water sites were nice. Loons were singing on and off all night. Campground Details - BUCK POND CAMPGROUND, NY - New York State Parks

Decide on places to stop?
Taking my dog so it’s a big kinda figure it out as I go. Not sure how long I’ll functionally be able to drive with her. But planning on around 5 hours of drive time per travel day. I’ll update this weekend when I hit the road and have a better plan. The south is such a trek of boring, hostile areas, I’m just looking to make it back east alive.

Depends on what you like. I like the Adirondacks and prefer state campgrounds because of their rustic nature and they seem to be more private. I like:

Brown Tract Pond

Lake Harris
(has a nice small beach that is not really designated as a beach but people bring their dogs to them and hang out)

Lake Eaton

Limekiln (very big and near Inlet/Old Forge)

Limekiln is awesome and well known for bear activity nearby. Don’t leave any food out!

Edit: I see on the website they provide food lockers to everyone. Good idea.

Limekiln is awesome and well known for bear activity nearby. Don’t leave any food out!

Edit: I see on the website they provide food lockers to everyone. Good idea.
You haven’t lived until you are woken up by a bear utterly destroying a bear locker 20’ from your head.
Castle crags, ca circa 2009

You haven’t lived until you are woken up by a bear utterly destroying a bear locker 20’ from your head.
Castle crags, ca circa 2009

Haha, I can’t even imagine.

I saw my first bears a few weeks ago...a mother with 4 cubs. I was safely in the car while looking for our camp we rented for the weekend, which happened to be about 20 feet from where the bears were. I wasn’t too keen on getting out of the car until I was sure the bears were just passing through.

Old Forge
I'd push for the ADK too.

Yeah, Nick's Lake is cool and Limekiln is know for bears, but Alger Island on Fourth Lake. It's an island but you can park and take the bridge over to camp, if you can camp on the lake side you're directly accross from Daikers and get free music most nights.

Haha, I can’t even imagine.

I saw my first bears a few weeks ago...a mother with 4 cubs. I was safely in the car while looking for our camp we rented for the weekend, which happened to be about 20 feet from where the bears were. I wasn’t too keen on getting out of the car until I was sure the bears were just passing through.
Word to the wise, don’t leave ranch flavored sunflower seeds out.
I can’t imagine encountering a mama bear with her cubs. I have bear spray that’s probably 10 years old that I probably would never use. When the bear was ripping all my sht apart I just laid there in my tent with my eyes closed. There might have been some tears too. Only lasted a minute or two. Thankfully

I'd push for the ADK too.

Yeah, Nick's Lake is cool and Limekiln is know for bears, but Alger Island on Fourth Lake. It's an island but you can park and take the bridge over to camp, if you can camp on the lake side you're directly accross from Daikers and get free music most nights.
Yeah I want to just get back to upstate to focus more on the adirondacks and finger lakes. It’s what I know and there is so much to still explore

I have bear spray that’s probably 10 years old
Don't forget that stuff expires, I had to replace all mine last summer. Had it Saturday, wouldn't have done us any good, ran into 2 bull moose instead, one juvenile, one adult, on the trail we had to go up. We had to sit there behind a tree until the adult was done eating on the willows. We're like really?

When is your return back to Cali?

Don't forget that stuff expires, I had to replace all mine last summer. Had it Saturday, wouldn't have done us any good, ran into 2 bull moose instead, one juvenile, one adult, on the trail we had to go up. We had to sit there behind a tree until the adult was done eating on the willows. We're like really?

When is your return back to Cali?

Open ended. I was supposed to leave last month, but work bs pushed that back, so probably mid September. Plus this drive is going much slower than anticipated. My dog is blind and special needs so it kills blowing out a good ten hour drive day. I’m pushing it tonight when she’s sleeping though. Need to make up lost time.

Open ended. I was supposed to leave last month, but work bs pushed that back, so probably mid September. Plus this drive is going much slower than anticipated. My dog is blind and special needs so it kills blowing out a good ten hour drive day. I’m pushing it tonight when she’s sleeping though. Need to make up lost time.
Gotcha. I was going to say, let me know if you're coming through CO on your way back, I could steer you to some of the best places you'll see on your trip. Oh yeah, and I've never seen a more dog friendly state in my life.

Gotcha. I was going to say, let me know if you're coming through CO on your way back, I could steer you to some of the best places you'll see on your trip. Oh yeah, and I've never seen a more dog friendly state in my life.
There is a very strong possibility of that. I remember having the best weekend of my entire life in boulder.
It involved a days inn, illicit substances and sliders. That’s all I’ll say
I’ll keep you posted

Guys... holy...
The state of Indiana.
No offense, but if I was to try and verbalize it, imagine driving through a loaf of wonder bread. That’s how I’d have to put it.
This has been surreal. Oklahoma I get. Texas I get. But my goodness. This is hilarious.

There is a very strong possibility of that. I remember having the best weekend of my entire life in boulder.
It involved a days inn, illicit substances and sliders. That’s all I’ll say
I’ll keep you posted
I love Boulder. Easy trip to really cool hikes too. Try Long's Peak but you have to get up really early.

Ok I’ve returned to LA just in time for this embarrassment of a defensive performance...
Few quick hitters
Finger lakes still hold my heart. Awesome people, beautiful places, good food. Just great all around
Limekiln is awesome, ended up kicking it with some retirees from Maine in an RV for a few days, cool people
3rd to fourth lake is nice and quiet, at least while I was there
Saratoga is still amazing but busy. Great swimming lake
Middle of the country, unfortunately is largely forgettable
Colorado and Utah are surreal. Just absolutely beautiful. Wish I had more time to enjoy it.
Pennsylvania still sucks

I would urge anyone who has the opportunity to, to take a cross country road trip at some point in their life. Really is a great experience. Doing it by yourself as I did is tough and tiring but worth it I’d say. 5949 miles in total. Wish I had another two weeks to not rush it back west.
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice
Hope to do it again soon