OT: Anyone an IT major in college? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Anyone an IT major in college?

strumpfasaurus

2nd String
Just got accepted into the information technology program at Syracuse and was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers or something.

That's was my major at SU and by far one of the most practical majors in college. The school of information studies is top ranked for grad school and it's really a mix between computers and business. My friends waited until MBA school to do case studies, while I did it in undergrad. There is a TON of group projects, presentations etc. You can also dual major with management. Check out the curriculum, but as far as faculty, they are top notch. Too many people are going to college and learning nothing like political science, history etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got accepted into the information technology program at Syracuse and was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers or something.

Got my grad degree from SU at the iSchool. MS in Information Management. Ended up in web dev/digital advertising in NYC as a project manager (and not complaining). Good school, good professors and interesting classes. I decided to do my grad studies there after taking an undergrad class.

A lot you can do with it. When you start, just make sure you like it. I would also try to start looking for internships once you get going. My internships helped me quite a bit in understanding what I was strong in, what I needed to work on and just how much of my studies I was applying to my internships versus what I was picking up just from being in a real-world environment.

I would also make sure you really click with your adviser. He or she will be guiding your class choices and where you want to end up. You need to able to trust him or her.

And don't forget to just enjoy college. Goes by too quick.

take some eee courses(entrepreneurship) if you can. good courses and the structure of how to build a business plan comes in handy with project management which is often a field it majors need to become familiar with. i was a finance/eee major converted from engineering.. having it skills to go with leadership is big and one key resume element i look for when i am interviewing.

I just read the other day that SU is offering a certificate in Data Science at the iSchool. It is really a burgeoning field that is supposed to have a great need for workers over the next decade or two.

or investment banking!!!!!

Lol. His IT degree is going to be worthless in 4 years. Most IT positions are being consolidated and outsourced. Kid do yourself a favor, take as many high level math and science classes as you can. Get really good at programming. Learn how to be a hacker. Not in the illegal way. You can then have a chance in 5 years.

Stanford is now requiring almost all majors to take CS tracks. Programming is the new English lit. Good luck.

right on.. math and science classes indeed.. logic and problem solving skills are critical

Lol. His IT degree is going to be worthless in 4 years. Most IT positions are being consolidated and outsourced. Kid do yourself a favor, take as many high level math and science classes as you can. Get really good at programming. Learn how to be a hacker. Not in the illegal way. You can then have a chance in 5 years.

Stanford is now requiring almost all majors to take CS tracks. Programming is the new English lit. Good luck.
C++
C
Visual C++
Java

Yeah my it skills are pretty useless in finance but I could get any IT job I want. This country does not have enough IT people, if you do a job search that is all you will find. Anyone can learn a programming language if you get a job that teaches you and simply get a book. I can't believe I took the time to reply to your useless post.

Honestly, engineering or CS is going to be far more useful to you if you can manage it. The IST program was generally where all of the LC Smith dropouts landed.

For what it's worth, I work in a high tech industry and have never hired (or known anyone) with this degree outside of non-exempt jobs.

engineering and cs arent all that bad.. soph yr is the toughest with statics, thermo etc.. i know i liked link a lot..i agree .. i havent hired an ist major either.. only dual with something else .

there is no magic answer to being succesful, it depends on the individual. there are IT guys that don't make much, and there are IT guys that make 6 figures. at the end of the day, you need to decide where your talents are, which hopefully aligns with what you like to do, and then work your ass off to be as good at it as you can be. and you will be fine doing whatever you want. i will say there is a shortage of good engineers though.

Visual C++ says it all. If you not doing software engineering right now you have 0% chance of getting a real programming job. There is no shortage. It's sort of a myth. What field Couldn't use more top talent. Why aren't salaries going up? Large corps want bring in overseas people so they can gain knowledge and then go home. It's cheaper over there.

C++
C
Visual C++
Java

Yeah my it skills are pretty useless in finance but I could get any IT job I want. This country does not have enough IT people, if you do a job search that is all you will find. Anyone can learn a programming language if you get a job that teaches you and simply get a book. I can't believe I took the time to reply to your useless post.

Visual C++ says it all. If you not doing software engineering right now you have 0% chance of getting a real programming job. There is no shortage. It's sort of a myth. What field Couldn't use more top talent. Why aren't salaries going up? Large corps want bring in overseas people so they can gain knowledge and then go home. It's cheaper over there.

Where do you live?

No need to be specific...just curious of region of the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom