OT - anyone on the board from San Diego? | Syracusefan.com

OT - anyone on the board from San Diego?

Marsh01

Living Legend
or have visited SD with their family?

Planning a family trip in August and I have never been. Where to stay? Would be looking for a great location close enough to drive within 15-20 minutes to all of the attractions.

Any ideas?

Planning a family trip in August and I have never been. Where to stay? Would be looking for a great location close enough to drive within 15-20 minutes to all of the attractions.

Any ideas?
Check out http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/california/san-diego-county/mission-beach. We rented a two unit house a year or so ago about 50 feet from sand and a small bay and maybe a mile from the ocean itself. Place was awesome. We were about 20 minutes from the zoo and stuff like that, within about 5 of lots of dining options. I'll see if my wife can find the exact listing. We've talked about going back to that specific house. It had a bunch of bikes, surf boards, and I think kayaks and stuff in the garage that the renters can use.

I have done the vrbo thing many times. Kids were hoping to stay at a place with a pool. I will check it out though

Ah, that might be hard to find if you end up close to the ocean actually.

How about things to do? Zoo i know. Maybe catch a ball game.

Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diago, which of course in German means "a whale's vagina".
I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

How about things to do? Zoo i know. Maybe catch a ball game.
Spent a week there last November in connection with the Midway game. Don't know how old your kids are, but here are some suggestions.

The zoo is great. Do a private "behind the scenes" tour. Well worth the bucks because you get a private guide and get real close to some of the animals. Take the gondola ride while there.

Safari Park is separate from the zoo. Further out of town, but apparently well worth the drive. (We did not do it because we ran out of days).

The ballpark looked great from outside, but never got to a game (it was November). People who have been there raved about it.

Do a harbor cruise/tour. Very scenic and very informative. We saw a bunch of Navy Seals in training (their training base is right on the harbor).

Tour the Midway. Tours are conducted by Navy vets who actually served on it. We spent a lot of time on it (not just for the game).

Take a "trolley" tour of the city. Do it your first day there. It is very good for local orientation.

Don't know age of your kids, but we enjoyed visiting the famous Del Coronado hotel for drinks and/or lunch on the patio. Great views and ambience. Hotel is like a Victorian Museum. Some famous movies were shot there . http://www.hoteldel.com/

Take a drive to La Jolla. Easy drive. Watched the sunset from the terrace of a great little bar on a cliff overlooking a cove that was full of playful seals. Also walked around the cove and were continuously amused by the seals.

Can't help much with accommodation recommendations. We stayed at the downtown team hotel (either a Hyatt or a Sheraton or a Marriott; I forget which because it changed at the last minute after the game was postponed). It was right on the water and we had great views of the Harbor and could walk to the Midway, the trolley tour, good restaurants, etc. It probably had a pool, but I never use them so I don't remember. Aside from the trip to La Jolla we never used the car. Cabs worked fine for the Zoo and Del Coronado, and we walked to everything else.

PS.. the airport is right into the middle of the city. It took a while to get used to the low-flying planes, but you don't need a car to get to the downtown hotels. It's a very short cab ride.

Last edited:
cto said:
Spent a week there last November in connection with the Midway game. Don't know how old your kids are, but here are some suggestions. The zoo is great. Do it with a private "behind the scenes" tour. Well worth the extra bucks because you get a private guide and get real close to some of the animals. Take the gondola ride while there. The Zoololigal Park is separate from the zoo. Further out of town, but apparently well worth the drive. (We did not do it because we ran out of days). The ballpark looked great from outside, but never got to a game (it was November). People who have been there raved about it. Do a harbor cruise/tour. Very scenic and very informative. We saw a bunch of Navy Seals in training (their training base is right on the harbor). Tour the Midway. Tours are conducted by Navy vets who actually served on it. We spent a lot of time on it (not just for the game). Take a "trolley" tour of the city. Do it your first day there. It is very good for local orientation. Don't know age of your kids, but we enjoyed visiting the famous Del Coronado hotel for drinks and/or lunch on the patio. Great views and ambience. Hotel is like a Victorian Museum. Some famous movies were shot there . http://www.hoteldel.com/ Take a drive to La Jolla. Easy drive. Watched the sunset from the terrace of a great little bar on a cliff overlooking a cove that was full of playful seals. Also walked around the cove and were continuously amused by the seals. Can't help much with accommodation recommendations. We stayed at the downtown team hotel (either a Hyatt or a Marriott; I forget which because it changed at the last minute after the game was postponed). It was right on the water and we had great views of the Harbor and could walk to the Midway, the trolley tour, good restaurants, etc. It probably had a pool, but I never use them so I don't remember. Aside from the trip to La Jolla we never used the car. Cabs worked fine for the Zoo and Del Coronado, and we walked to everything else). PS.. the airport is right into the middle of the city. It took a while to get used to the low-flying planes, but you don't need a car to get to the downtown hotels. It's a very short cab ride.

Thanks joyce

three words: Tijuana donkey show

hit me up though..been to SD half dozen times and have a cousin who lives up in Carlsbad.

Orange46R said:
three words: Tijuana donkey show hit me up though..been to SD half dozen times and have a cousin who lives up in Carlsbad.

Ha yea kim would be all over that!

We will talk. I will email you

I've been nimrod did a few days if you remember

Definitely the zoo, Sea World, Little Italy, USS Midway

Meatball56 said:
I've been nimrod did a few days if you remember Definitely the zoo, Sea World, Little Italy, USS Midway

Roger. Forgot

Any ideas?

After I graduated college, five of my buddies and I took a month and circumnavigated the entire country. Upon arriving in San Diego (before GPS' and smart phones) we stayed in Hillcrest which we didn't realize is the city's gay neighborhood. We jokingly called it Man Diego. But, like every other gay neighborhood in America, it was really nice with great bars/shops/restaurants.

I've made a couple work trips since, and it's just an incredible city. I stayed Pacific Beach and Coronado, both are beautiful and in great locations. San Diego, in my opinion, has all the good of LA but none of the bad.

I've been nimrod did a few days if you remember

Definitely the zoo, Sea World, Little Italy, USS Midway

I just couldn't bring myself to go to SeaWorld after watching that Blackfish documentary.

We were seriously advised NOT to go to Tijuana, for security reasons. So even though it is right down the road, we never went there.

cto said:
We were seriously advised NOT to go to Tijuana, for security reasons. So even though it is right down the road, we never went there.

Yea i dont see me bringing my 13 and 11 year da there. Damn mexicans ruin everything

Marsh--the Sheraton is 5 minutes away from the airport, and right on the bay.

Hit me up off line.

we go 2-3 times a year; when we bring the kid we stay at the family-friendly La Costa Resort & Spa, which is close enough to drive in to Sea World or the Zoo and is also close to Lego Land.

When we leave the kid at home, we opt for the Grand Del Mar - a spectacular place with a spectacular golf course and one of the finest restaurants in all of North America. Even when we stay at La Costa with the kid, we try to sneak away for a date night at Addison (the restaurant). Very pricey, but worth it.

Yea i dont see me bringing my 13 and 11 year da there. Damn mexicans ruin everything

Marsh has kids? I don't want to know the truth, but I have to assume their initials are "PBR" and "".

A close friend of mine moved there a few years ago I've visited a few times. The Zoo is absolutely fantastic. If you want to see everything it literally takes at least 5 hours. Aquarium is nice as well.

Go eat lots of tacos. Maybe see a game at Petco Park. Team sucks but a very nice facility.