Class of 2021 - OT Austyn Kauhi (HI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 OT Austyn Kauhi (HI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

I figured he'd go to spirit bomb university! Good pickup.

If any coaches are interested in giving us their thoughts on this young man's skill set, or what they might be hearing from the coaches, it would be greatly appreciated. The highlight video was pretty hard to follow and I always appreciate the insight when it comes to lineman

Great attitude and frame. Can't be that much of a project. The tweet above indicates he's 270 now - a year before he arrives on the Hill. I mean ... he's pushing his parents' car home from practice ... 300's not a stretch.
agreed, and the last time we had a player who pushed cars around as part of his workout regimen, it worked out pretty well!

agreed, and the last time we had a player who pushed cars around as part of his workout regimen, it worked out pretty well!
1592087916155.png

Orange is a place to be for Austyn Kauhi.

The 6-foot-5, 275-pound senior-to-be committed to Syracuse on Saturday morning, turning down offers from nine other FBS football programs.

“I feel good. I found a place that’s good for me, going to benefit me in the future. I chose Syracuse because of the relationship I have with Coach (Mike) Cavanaugh and (head) coach (Dino) Babers. Babers played for UH and Cav coached there, that connection,” Kauhi said.
Kauhi’s length and agility are factors to recruiters. In a three-week span during April, six scholarship offers landed on his table.

Offers, in chronological order:

Navy (AAC)
Hawaii (MWC)
Syracuse (ACC)
Idaho (Big Sky)
San Jose State (MWC)
Nevada (MWC)
Central Michigan (MAC)
San Diego State (MWC)
Fresno State (MWC)
UNLV (MWC)

Kauhi decided to go with the Orange rather than wait any longer.

“I was hoping to commit after I see all my options, but with this coronavirus, I don’t know when that’s going to take place. I did my research and Syracuse fit everything I want,” he said. “The relationship was the most important. Without that, it just won’t be good for you.”

His other preference would have been Navy.

”I have a good relationship with (assistant) coach (Billy Ray) Stutzmann. I like everything they have to offer me after college, but Syracuse was good for me,” he said.

Going to college nearly 5,000 miles away won’t be a problem for his ohana.

“My family loves Syracuse. My mom (Shantel Mann) loves Coach Babers and Coach Cav. She likes who they are. Many people speak highly of them,” Kauhi said.

His early decision could nip future offers, which would have meant more texts, more calls, more busy-ness. Or maybe the offers will continue to pile up. For now, Kauhi is looking forward to more time at home.

“I’m just hanging out with my family. Sunday, maybe we can have a celebration party. My idea would be all my family at Nanakuli Beach Park. Gotta have waves or it’s boring. Good food, good company and great waves,” he said.

He’s ahead of schedule, academically. Kauhi has a 3.0 grade-point average, including 3.2 in the past semester. It’s possible he could graduate early.

“I’ve done everything I need to get done. Just finishing what I need, but I’m not planning to enroll (at college) in the spring,” he said.

In the meantime, Kauhi continues to improve his pasta-making skill. He learned it from a friend’s father.

“It hasn’t come out the way I imagine it. It’s still a little iffy. I have to get the flavor down,” he said. “My mom makes a super good alfredo sauce. Homemade noodles are very different from store-bought. Flour and eggs, and I just knead it and roll it out, cut it up. It comes out not bad.”

His brother, Anstyn, is a 6-2, 185-pound defensive back at Damien.

“He’s waiting, seeing where everything’s going. His time is going to come soon. He’s going to be patient for now,” Austyn said.

Kauhi praised his mother for her endurance and love.

“I want to shout out my mom for helping me throughout my whole life to get to the point I’m at right now,” he said. “Shout out to my brother for working hard, just trust the process. And shout out to my teammates and my home slice.”

Elephants and Hippos are the key to success for the Syracuse University Football Program. Congratulations young Mr. Kauhi on your excellent choice of Syracuse University to continue your football career. Sign your letter of Syracuse NLI in December and show up ready to open up some big holes for your Ohana. Nice job Syracuse Coaches and Recruiting Staff. Go Orange!!!!!!!!