OT: Bishop Grimes/Ludden | Syracusefan.com

OT: Bishop Grimes/Ludden

DaCuse

Shooting a deuce for da Cuse!
Anyone know anything about these schools? How’s their enrollment compared to past years - what is their reputation in the Syracuse area?

I’m thinking of possibly moving to the Syracuse area and curious about sending my kid to one of these places…..Thanks!

These might help, if you haven't already looked there (which I'm sure you have).

Three years ago, Grimes had 359 students.

Currently, Ludden has 280 students.

It's not much info, but it gives you an approximate size of the schools.

These might help, if you haven't already looked there (which I'm sure you have).

Three years ago, Grimes had 359 students.

Currently, Ludden has 280 students.

It's not much info, but it gives you an approximate size of the schools.
I graduated from Ludden many moons ago and we had more than 280 in our class alone.

In 1984 my Mexico track team went to Bishop Grimes who had been the league champion for many years. We went with 13 guys on the team and won 72-71 to capture the title from them. That's all I know about them lol.

Out of the 4 schools i would
Vote for Manlius pebble
Hills for academics and CBA for sports. All
Are excellent but then again so are most of the public schools

I may be a bit biased toward BG for a number of reasons (I’m an alumnus and currently involved in a volunteer capacity). Their enrollment is around 80-100 more than Ludden, and that’s after taking a hit the past few years on international student enrollment due to a combo of the prior administration’s student visa policies and the pandemic.

Where you send your kid honestly may depend on where you end up living. West-Enders and western suburb kids usually go to Ludden. North and east sides of the city and northern and eastern suburbs tend to go to BG (or CBA or MPH). Happy to chat further via PM.

I may be a bit biased toward BG for a number of reasons (I’m an alumnus and currently involved in a volunteer capacity). Their enrollment is around 80-100 more than Ludden, and that’s after taking a hit the past few years on international student enrollment due to a combo of the prior administration’s student visa policies and the pandemic.

Where you send your kid honestly may depend on where you end up living. West-Enders and western suburb kids usually go to Ludden. North and east sides of the city and northern and eastern suburbs tend to go to BG (or CBA or MPH). Happy to chat further via PM.
North suburbs like Clay, B’ville tend to head to Ludden while other Northern suburbs like Cicero, North Syracuse tend to head to Grimes, based on geography. Western suburbs like Westvale, Camillus, Onondaga Hill, Lafayette etc to Ludden while Eastern suburbs like East Syracuse, Dewitt more often head to Grimes. None of these are absolutes though since it’s a personal choice and you can go to either school regardless where you live. Our youngest went to Ludden, did well academically there and in college. My husband was a graduate many moons ago - yes in the Mark Wadach era.

Like any school, it’s all personal preference. It’s all about what one considers a better fit. Have your child spend a day on a visit to each of the schools you are considering, going to actual classes etc, it will definitely help the child make an informed decision.

The COVID shutdown was tough on these schools. I don’t think they have the resources some other schools have. I know that Grimes’ enrollment is down, not sure about Ludden. Of the two schools Ludden appears to be a better spot.

The COVID shutdown was tough on these schools. I don’t think they have the resources some other schools have. I know that Grimes’ enrollment is down, not sure about Ludden. Of the two schools Ludden appears to be a better spot.

I can guarantee you that Ludden's attendance is down just as much if not more than BG's. COVID actually provided a slight bump in enrollment, at least compared to projections. If it wasn't for the sudden and severe drop in international students, BG would be right where they've been in the recent past in terms of enrollment numbers.

I can guarantee you that Ludden's attendance is down just as much if not more than BG's. COVID actually provided a slight bump in enrollment, at least compared to projections. If it wasn't for the sudden and severe drop in international students, BG would be right where they've been in the recent past in terms of enrollment numbers.
Interesting. I only went by what I heard from a teacher there.

Interesting. I only went by what I heard from a teacher there.

You're definitely right about not having the resources, at least. Lots of costs were incurred related to COVID that neither school would have been able to cover if not for the PPP loans.

FTR, I graduated from Grimes in the mid-90s. My freshman class started with about 90 kids and was down to 45 by the time I graduated. I am not sure if this is still the case, but this was common at the time as lot of parents would send their kids to Grimes for 7th-9th grade to avoid some of the public jr highs that had less than sterling reputations.

I wish I could tell you that I had warm fuzzy memories of my time there, but I don't. I was/am an independent thinker with a wide streak of oppositional defiance, and most of the teachers there did not know what to make of me, so I ended up spending a lot of time in detention; admittedly most of them were well earned.

That being said, I did receive a decent education and had a few very good teachers. The other nice thing about the small class size was that it allowed me to play a sport every season. I am not a great athlete, but due to the limited student body, I was good enough to make any sports team I tried out for. TBH playing sports and not wanting to miss games or practices was the only thing that kept me grounded enough in the classroom to not be expelled.

I do not have any friends from my time there, nor do I really care to relive that time. Grimes and I were just not a good mix. However, both my siblings went there and had excellent experiences. I know that my sister still has several close friends from her time there.

FTR, I graduated from Grimes in the mid-90s. My freshman class started with about 90 kids and was down to 45 by the time I graduated. I am not sure if this is still the case, but this was common at the time as lot of parents would send their kids to Grimes for 7th-9th grade to avoid some of the public jr highs that had less than sterling reputations.

I wish I could tell you that I had warm fuzzy memories of my time there, but I don't. I was/am an independent thinker with a wide streak of oppositional defiance, and most of the teachers there did not know what to make of me, so I ended up spending a lot of time in detention; admittedly most of them were well earned.

That being said, I did receive a decent education and had a few very good teachers. The other nice thing about the small class size was that it allowed me to play a sport every season. I am not a great athlete, but due to the limited student body, I was good enough to make any sports team I tried out for. TBH playing sports and not wanting to miss games or practices was the only thing that kept me grounded enough in the classroom to not be expelled.

I do not have any friends from my time there, nor do I really care to relive that time. Grimes and I were just not a good mix. However, both my siblings went there and had excellent experiences. I know that my sister still has several close friends from her time there.

Sounds like you graduated just before I started 7th grade in the Fall of 1996.

My children both attended Ludden. My wife and I were pleased with the level of education they received. Of course they graduated in 2004 & 2006 respectively.
Obviously I can not speak to the present level of proficiency that Ludden may now offer their students.
Best of luck !

Last edited:

That is one of the great things about smaller schools. I have a friend who was a three sport “star” at a small school. Had he gone to a bigger school, he wouldn’t have made the team on two of those sports. (No one has the heart to tell him this.) But he has great memories.

I graduated from BG in 1983, and did overlap with Bobcat Goldthwait and Tomcat Kenny (they were seniors and I was a freshman). It was only a Senior High School back then. Great school and teachers then. Senior class was around 225, so it's shrunk quite a bit it seems.

Not very relevant to going there today, but thought I'd share. Good luck on your decision.