OT-Champions League | Syracusefan.com

OT-Champions League

bnoro

Lurker
Both Spanish teams go down, what an entertaining semi-finals. Shocking that Neuer was able to save both Ronaldo and Kaka, almost as shocking as Messi missing the penalty. Can't wait for the final. Unfortunately, Chelsea will be missing 4 starters, and Bayern Munich 3. Thoughts/predictions?

I think Bayern blows Chelsea's doors off with their weakened back line, but Chelsea has proved be wrong in the last two rounds.

Its in germany too right? Im going munich
It's at Bayern's home stadium. So much going for Bayern. Hope the final can match the excitement of the last two games.

All the guys I work with are obsessed with soccer and especially Real Madrid and Barcelona. I was off today and saw the game on FX. Great game. Soccer played at that level with the Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern Munich/Chelsea/AC Milan/Inter/Man U's of the world is really friggin exciting.
My 4 favorite events to watch: NHL Playoffs, March Madness, Champions League Knockout Round, World Cup.

So much excitement and suspense

I couldn't have been more surprised that Barcelona lost to Chelsea. Going in I thought it would be one of the two Spanish teams or Bayern. I've been rooting for Bayern ever since Liverpool played too crappy to get in.

Sucks that both teams will be missing players because of accumulated yellow cards. I'm not going to argue that Terry should be able to play after getting a red against Barca, but I'd like to see two teams play at full strength in the final.

It'll be Bayern

It's been a great two days for me. Can't wait for the Final. Bayern!

Also, for any that missed today's game, or for any Madrid fans:
sergio.gif

I think Drogba will come up huge in what will be his biggest, and possibly his last Chelsea match. 1-0 Blues.

Hopefully Chelsea will have already locked up a C.L. berth for the following year.

If they win, are they through to the group stage, or just the play-off round?

How do teams focus with all these multiple championships going on at the same time? Real Madrid plays Bayern Munich for the Champions League first leg then plays the second leg of the matchup a week later, oh but wait they also played Barcelona for El Classico over the weekend? If they win this they qualify for that and so on...What?

I think Drogba will come up huge in what will be his biggest, and possibly his last Chelsea match. 1-0 Blues.

Hopefully Chelsea will have already locked up a C.L. berth for the following year.

If they win, are they through to the group stage, or just the play-off round?

They won't have CL berth locked, in fact, they'll prob be eliminated. They are 4 back of Newcastle and 1 back of Spurs.

They got Newcastle on May 2nd, which if they lose they are basically out of CL berth running, then FA Cup 3 days later. Got to think they'll be safe and go for the Cup win.

Then just have to win to get into CL next year.
Easier said than done...but if they go all out vs Newcastle, I think there's a good possibility they lose all 3 regardless.

its really fun to watch bayern year in year out flex their muscles with the team approach. the bundesliga is really underrated.

How do teams focus with all these multiple championships going on at the same time? Real Madrid plays Bayern Munich for the Champions League first leg then plays the second leg of the matchup a week later, oh but wait they also played Barcelona for El Classico over the weekend? If they win this they qualify for that and so on...What?
El Clasico is just the name they give the biggest rivalry in Spain between Barca and Real. The Champions League is a tournament made up of the top teams in Europe. It starts with round robin play, moves to the knockout head to head stage, and concludes with a one-game final. Each individual country may have their own tournament to decide the best team in said country. England has the FA Cup, Germany has the Deutsche Pokal, etc. Those are club competitions based only in their own countries where they play for bragging rights of their country. And then league play is the season long competition that determines who qualifies for the Champions League from each country's top division.

El Clasico is just the name they give the biggest rivalry in Spain between Barca and Real. The Champions League is a tournament made up of the top teams in Europe. It starts with round robin play, moves to the knockout head to head stage, and concludes with a one-game final. Each individual country may have their own tournament to decide the best team in said country. England has the FA Cup, Germany has the Deutsche Pokal, etc. Those are club competitions based only in their own countries where they play for bragging rights of their country. And then league play is the season long competition that determines who qualifies for the Champions League from each country's top division.

I think league play determines the best team in the country much more so than cup play. Many top-shelf teams effectively try to lose in cup play, or at least use it as a spot to groom younger players.

I think league play determines the best team in the country much more so than cup play. Many top-shelf teams effectively try to lose in cup play, or at least use it as a spot to groom younger players.
I wouldn't disagree with that. It's essentially a tournament set up to create bragging rights. But there are definitely teams that take a lot of pride in winning their domestic cups.

I wouldn't disagree with that. It's essentially a tournament set up to create bragging rights. But there are definitely teams that take a lot of pride in winning their domestic cups.

Also, FA Cup and Carling Cup are a great way for teams that don't have a chance of a top 5 finish in the Prem League to get into Europe (Europa League). Worth a decent amount of money to those clubs, though not the ~15-20 million you can expect for getting to the Champions League group stage.

Chelsea definitely at a disadvantage without 4 key players. I am hoping they pull through however not feeling too good about it. Bayern has a pretty strong squad and would be a lot for Chelsea even if they had those 4 players. I do have some hope though, Drogba and Torres have been playing pretty good lately and for Drogba and Lampard, this is revenge for 08.

Even as a fan of Spurs I don't understand how people can hate on Drogba. Guy's an animal.

I'm a Chelsea fan, but his injury theatrics on the field lately are even pissing me off.

I'm a Chelsea fan, but his injury theatrics on the field lately are even pissing me off.

this. he's very talented no doubt but it seems like he's trying to become an actor not a soccer player.