OT: Clemson's "Howard Rock" Defaced | Syracusefan.com

OT: Clemson's "Howard Rock" Defaced

This was pretty despicable. Hopefully the Clemson fans do not retaliate.

Pranks are one thing, permanently defacing historical and or irreplaceable artifacts is completely different. Toomer's corner, Howard's Rock can never be replaced or repaired. That, IMO is despicable. A storied piece of history is now gone at the Universities, it robs the entire area of their history. Why, so some undergrad can put it on his mantle next to his bong? Great story, probably gonna get some for it, you're still a jack wagon.

Pranks are one thing, permanently defacing historical and or irreplaceable artifacts is completely different. Toomer's corner, Howard's Rock can never be replaced or repaired. That, IMO is despicable. A storied piece of history is now gone at the Universities, it robs the entire area of their history. Why, so some undergrad can put it on his mantle next to his bong? Great story, probably gonna get some for it, you're still a jack wagon.
completely agree. Gotta do a prank that's reversible (or replaceable) without malice and what that schmuck did to those old trees or with the rock here is inexcusaable. That's what makes the stealing of the Big Blue banner one of the greatest pranks in history.

Simply replace that. Same too with the "painting" school colors on others mascot statues. Amy painting of the Nittany lion mascot statue I mention need be done in easily washable wash off type paint.

If we didn't have a semi decent ife to ruin in our later years now I'd think about grabbing Texan Mark, Millhouse and Tomcat and drag us down there to do the job. Since we can't ruin these semi decent lives, I'm now I'm officially asking some young wet behind the ears student who we can write it off of "youthful indescretional stupidity", I'm officially asking for some young buck or buckette to do it.

Just don't forget the easy wash off paint though...:)

completely agree. Gotta do a prank that's reversible (or replaceable) without malice and what that schmuck did to those old trees or with the rock here is inexcusaable. That's what makes the stealing of the Big Blue banner one of the greatest pranks in history.

Simply replace that. Same too with the "painting" school colors on others mascot statues. Amy painting of the Nittany lion mascot statue I mention need be done in easily washable wash off type paint.

If we didn't have a semi decent ife to ruin in our later years now I'd think about grabbing Texan Mark, Millhouse and Tomcat and drag us down there to do the job. Since we can't ruin these semi decent lives, I'm now I'm officially asking some young wet behind the ears student who we can write it off of "youthful indescretional stupidity", I'm officially asking for some young buck or buckette to do it.

Just don't forget the easy wash off paint though...:)

Stealing a mascot, also funny.

While I don't condone what happened to Howard's Rock, it is still there. They took approximately 14% of the rock. I'm surprised it was that easy for someone to do that. I can't believe they don't have surveillance cameras on it or an alarm on the cover.

This was pretty despicable. Hopefully the Clemson fans do not retaliate.

How would they even retaliate? Paint graffiti on the attractive train tracks that border Williams-Brice Stadium?

By kidnapping Jadaveon Clowney.

600full-celtic-pride-poster.jpg

I think its retaliation for this. Even though taking Howard's rock is horrible.

What happened at USC

We've seen this kind of crap before. What's the point? It isn't even funny. Permanently damaging a landmark is not acceptable in the case of Howard's Rock.

At the end of the day, it's just a friggin rock.

Agreed - this is clemson. This isn't Alabama or Notre Dame or USC. Its a rock. I thought it was something more significant, but then I read the history and it's just a rock they touch before the games. mediocre program, mediocre tradition. I'm not arguing that their fans dont have the right to be upset. But this is not a national tragedy.

Now if someone stole the rock. That'd be a prank.

I've touched the rock when I visited Clemson a couple years back (I considered attending, ended up applying to USC instead). It's a stupid rock. I bet you could have replaced the rock with a somewhat decent look-a-like rock and nobody would have ever known. They have no protection for it which means it can't be too valuable. I touched it late at night when I went. It was a dumb prank. I'm all for pranks as long as it isn't to the extent of poisoning the Auburn trees (total POS thing to do). I think smashing (a part of it) it might have been a bit too far to some and they should have just painted it but, once again, it's just a rock and they can easily replace it if they wanted to.

Has anyone looked up the origins of Howard's Rock? It's moronic and literally was garbage. However, at the end of the day the 'event' will further establish the lore of the rock as this appears to have been more about good old fashion rivalry hate which I respect more than a rock that was literally a throw away.

From Wiki:

"Howard's Rock"[edit]
In the early 1960s, the rock was given to then head coach Frank Howard by a friend, Samuel Columbus Jones (Clemson Class of 1919).[10] It was presented to Howard by Jones, saying "Here's a rock from Death Valley, California, to Death Valley, South Carolina."[4] Howard didn't think anything else about the rock and it was used as a door stop in his office for several years. In September 1966, while cleaning out his office, Howard noticed the rock and told IPTAY executive director Gene Willimon, "Take this rock and throw it over the fence or out in the ditch...do something with it, but get it out of my office."[4] Willimon had the rock placed on a pedestal at the top of the east endzone hill that the team ran down to enter the field for games.[5] On September 24, 1966, the first time Clemson players ran by the rock, they beat conference rival Virginia, 40-35.[11] Howard, seizing on the motivational potential of "The Rock", told his players, "Give me 110% or keep your filthy hands off of my rock."[5] The team started rubbing the Rock for the first game of 1967, which was a 23-6 waxing of ACC foe Wake Forest. [12]
It is now a tradition for the Clemson Army ROTC to "protect" the Rock for the 24 hours prior to the Clemson-South Carolina game when held in Death Valley. ROTC cadets keep a steady drum cadence around the rock prior to the game, which can be heard across the campus. Part of the tradition comes after unknown parties vandalized the Rock prior to the 1992 Carolina-Clemson game.[13]

Agreed - this is clemson. This isn't Alabama or Notre Dame or USC. Its a rock. I thought it was something more significant, but then I read the history and it's just a rock they touch before the games. mediocre program, mediocre tradition. I'm not arguing that their fans dont have the right to be upset. But this is not a national tragedy.

Now if someone stole the rock. That'd be a prank.

They can go walk around outside for a few minutes and get another one, and nobody would know the difference.

I went for a wedding at Clemson last June and I remember the rock was in a case. However, their wasn't a security person in sight. I walked right onto the field and looked around for a few minutes and nobody bothered me. The only thing I hate about Southern football culture is that they just take it too seriously. Everybody wants their team to win but at the end of the day it's only a game and about the players.

Look you guys, it may just be a rock to you. But it's not just a rock to Clemson fans and alums. Just like your silly little possessions matter more to you then they do to the rest of the world...