OT: Cuse.com - worst proof reading ever | Syracusefan.com

OT: Cuse.com - worst proof reading ever

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
The announcement for the 15th Basket Ball Gala may set an all time low for cuse.com's proof reading.

So far we've got:
  1. Misspelling of the coach's last name : "Boehiem"
  2. Repeated improper pluralization of the coach's last name : "Boeheim's"
  3. Misspelling of a sponsor's business name : "Jewelrs"
  4. Misspelling of food quality : "gormet"
See for yourself in this screen capture:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Added a 4th item to the list of typos.
"gormet"... ugh. At least this was a word of foreign origin.

communications school
Allegedly. I'm not a Newhouse graduate but get annoyed/embarrassed by this stuff.

Years ago I provided spelling, typographical and factual error feedback to SUAD's communications people. I even offered to proofread their materials (press guides, game notes, etc.) prior to publication. I rarely got an acknowledgement and they didn't take me up on their offer. Even if they have interns write most of the materials, the least they could do is have someone (staff, other interns, volunteers, etc.) look over things before clicking on the Publish button.

Allegedly. I'm not a Newhouse graduate but get annoyed/embarrassed by this stuff.

Years ago I provided spelling, typographical and factual error feedback to SUAD's communications people. I even offered to proofread their materials (press guides, game notes, etc.) prior to publication. I rarely got an acknowledgement and they didn't take me up on their offer. Even if they have interns write most of the materials, the least they could do is have someone (staff, other interns, volunteers, etc.) look over things before clicking on the Publish button.

Now they have spellchecker - they don't even bother to use it obviously.

Honestly, they should fire interns for this sort of thing. Go away; reapply when you decide to care about the work product you're putting out.

Instead this kid is going to go into the workforce on the basis of his or her network and the SU pedigree and further damage our language for the next 40 years.

I suspect I'll be ridiculed for being so fastidious, but I'd add:
  • "earrings" (they spelled as "earings" - maybe it's Cockney for legal proceedings?)
  • IN is the proper abbr. for the state of Indiana, not Ind.
  • Proper name of the basketball center is "Carmelo K. Anthony..." (they left out the K.)
  • Comma after April 26 is unneeded
  • NY is the proper abbr. for the state of New York, not N.Y.
  • No need to capitalize the "C" in central New York
  • The use of the double dash "--" is laughable; the proper mark is a colon, although a single dash is acceptable

Good catch on the "earings" as well as the inconsisten, and improper, state abbreviations.

I'm almost tempted to re-start my SUAD correction submissions. I doubt they'd be appreciated, however.

The really sad part is that quite a few of the mistakes would have been caught by running a simple spell check.

Last edited: