Class of 2019 - OT Damien Hoyt (NY) Verbal to Colgate | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 OT Damien Hoyt (NY) Verbal to Colgate

He sure doesn't look like he's carrying 324#, Prototypical Babers OL.
That's an ideal frame for sure

Probably comes down to if they think tgth can teach him technique

From what I have been told coachability/quick learner is a strong point. he moves well and is quick off the ball. Smart enough to play center if need be. Plus he can play NT/DT.
I know it's not a "draft pick" but it's a hell of a deal for SU right under their nose.

I was at union-endicott when Homer played Chenango Forks in the first round of the state bracket. Chenango Forks offensive line was all 260 to 270-pound lb kids who could play. And they basically shut down that small guy super fast defensive line that Homer had been using all year. Why they didn't play Hoyt more in that game just baffles me. They would put in their 5-10 330 lb nose tackle and he would hit the guard and center double team and he was done. The plays they put Hoyt in he would blow up there double team and if they triple teamed him he still pushed all three of them back. What I'm getting at here is maybe they want to give him a serious look as an interior DL also. He's got a big strong posterior chain with a lot of explosive push

I was at union-endicott when Homer played Chenango Forks in the first round of the state bracket. Chenango Forks offensive line was all 260 to 270-pound lb kids who could play. And they basically shut down that small guy super fast defensive line that Homer had been using all year. Why they didn't play Hoyt more in that game just baffles me. They would put in their 5-10 330 lb nose tackle and he would hit the guard and center double team and he was done. The plays they put Hoyt in he would blow up there double team and if they triple teamed him he still pushed all three of them back. What I'm getting at here is maybe they want to give him a serious look as an interior DL also. He's got a big strong posterior chain with a lot of explosive push
In sec 3 it’s super hard not to play a kid like that all game. A kid like that shouldn’t come off field except for specials. Only school I know can get away with that is CNS. They have huge lineman and enough of them to run only one side of ball.

In sec 3 it’s super hard not to play a kid like that all game. A kid like that shouldn’t come off field except for specials. Only school I know can get away with that is CNS. They have huge lineman and enough of them to run only one side of ball.

I was just thinking about CNS, CBA ect thinking if you took this kid out of Homer and put him in AA I'd bet a million bucks his play wouldn't fall off a bit. Very tough kid.

I was just thinking about CNS, CBA ect thinking if you took this kid out of Homer and put him in AA I'd bet a million bucks his play wouldn't fall off a bit. Very tough kid.
I can see him playing at any double aa school. I am shocked their coach didn’t play him both ways to get the win against Chenengo Forks. U play ur best in the biggest games.

I can see him playing at any double aa school. I am shocked their coach didn’t play him both ways to get the win against Chenengo Forks. U play ur best in the biggest games.

You are very right.

There's what, like a 10 week gap between his visit and his camp? Hopefully SU will reach out to him in the meantime. I don't know if there is other stuff to attend but it'd be great to see them show interest. His dad said coaches were all making their way to him to meet him at the end of the visit and were all visually impressed at least.
I know Cornell is interested and he has the grades but I think thatd be a waste football wise. Just my 2 cents. I'm not sure who else is interested.

He's attending camp. That's when they'll decide. He's under the radar, with potential.

Hit like a mofo, Damien. It's not a drill, it's a tryout(but noone is allowed to say that) Hit like everything is on the line, because it is. #'s aren't available on hudl. 40 is not as important as 10 yard split, or shuttle. Get that shuttle below 5. Closer to 4.5 the better. If you are not training with bands, start(explosive speed). A little short, for the outside, but has exceptional arm length, to counter. Guard candidate, unless he demonstrates outstanding athletic ability.. We're all gonna root for local talent. ;-)

Your #'s will dictate where you belong. Watched the hudl, there is potential. (I've watched thousands of Oline) Don't worry where you wind up. You'll wind up where you are supposed to be, and that's a good thing. This staff values athleticism above all(others are different, and will value your size more). You have the frame to come in at a lean, mean 300lbs... prolly bag you a few 10ths on the speed drills. It's a speed team, if you wanna play in NY. Address that, depending on your goals.

I have no affiliation with the team. Just like cheering for local talent. The one thing I've noticed is that they prefer exceptional technique, or speed... 3 or 4 Oline Signees have clocked shuttles in the 4.6 range. 2 of those guys were starting Center and Guard, last year... That's obscene. (those are elite LT #'s) Last years center runs a 4.9 40... and a 4.6 shuttle(Sunday candidate). But needs time to work on technique, to get to his natural position at LT. Guard also runs a 4.6 shuttle(lead the team in knock down blocks). Need the speed #'s, or technique. Team came off a 4 star, last year, that had immaculate technique, for off the field issues. He was actually really slow, but he had mastered the technique... 5+ shuttle.

Demonstrate either or, and you'll earn a local offer. And don't worry if you don't. You'll wind up where you belong. Ali Marpet went from D3 (where he was at in high school), to the NFL. I think you're better than that. G' Luck.

Last edited:
What do they actually do at the camp? Is it combine style or is there a actual contact being bags or live? The description they give is pretty vague.

What do they actually do at the camp? Is it combine style or is there a actual contact being bags or live? The description they give is pretty vague.
All D1 camps are combine style. #'s come first, to demonstrate potential, and no other position is based more on potential than Oline... Contact has to be limited, due to no helmets/pads. Some camps push the boundaries, and let 1 on 1's get a little too violent.. They like that, 'til they have to say stop(and they do- to the credit of the violent one). They like telling guys to stop trying so hard...

Some oline kids may shine in pass pro, but it's a little unrealistic, as they should often lose this drill. They all run a hip/power drill, or 2 step into pads for Oline, run blocking. Check the Coach P had a bad day thread... Coach P was knocked down, from a knee/hip block(no steps)... That's OLine gold! One of the few times I've seen a Bill Belichick smile-the hit was that good... A high school kid will get the same response(and likely offer) assuming he's proved the combine #'s, AND demonstrated this ability... Any high school kid that demonstrates both, is in line for an offer.

Last edited:
I know he'll be doing the ESM combine may 20th. So that will be a nice warmup speed wise.

Hopefully his year round training, also entails speed training. How quick his feet are, is a big factor determining where he'll end up. G'luck.

I had my son train with Corey Parker first and after he went back to SU he trained with VB performance in Lpool on old Lpool Rd. Vinny has all the tools to make him bigger, faster, and more explosive. Money i spent was worth it. If anyone knows his parents let them know and from Homer to Lpool is bad in spring.

Haven't looked at the kid's Twitter in a while til just now. Looks like he's building some momentum.

If they value the shuttle numbers and 10 yd splits , it all comes down to technique. As an example, my son was a lb at Cs and went to su camp and clocked in 4.11 in shuttle and he is a explosive kid but he practiced it a ton he just never got bigger than 5 ‘9” . So practice that until u have it down perfectly and ur footwork should be same every time u run it. Side to side sled drags with med weight helped Austin tremendously. Also band work. Also SU and most colleges are huge into hang cleans. Will help hips and drive plus shoulder and back strength. I hope we see the kid at SU. Work harder than anyone else and it will happen for u. Just remember to rest a little here and there. It helps a lot to recuperate. See u in su gear in 2 years. Good luck

Don't quote me on this but from what I understand Cornell is just waiting on the financial aid side to make it official.
Should be interesting to see how his 3 week run of big camps turn out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom