OT - Do you agree with USC or Not (Kliff Kingsbury) | Syracusefan.com

OT - Do you agree with USC or Not (Kliff Kingsbury)

corpjet

Board Prophet
USC has denied their new OC Kliff Kingsbury to interview for NFL jobs. Do you agree with this? What if this was a Syracuse coordinator (selfishly we know the answer) but would you consider this holding him back?

Sources: USC blocking Kingsbury from NFL talks

The latest is he may now resign, so should have been given the opportunity as you may lose him anyway and have hard feelings and a bad image for future coaching candidates there.

https://deadspin.com/report-kliff-kingsbury-could-resign-as-usc-offensive-c-1831519223

Moron move by USC.

People are employees, not slaves.

Lol, as someone who has worked below the line for a lot of USC Producing graduates the past 5 years, it seems that USC actually teaches the slavery aspect.

Lol, as someone who has worked below the line for a lot of USC Producing graduates the past 5 years, it seems that USC actually teaches the slavery aspect.
Well that sucks.

Me personally, I believe in handshake agreements and a mans word. Just how I feel, it’s my personal opinion.

I will say this...if his agent couldn’t identify potential NFL jobs long before last week, he needs a new agent.

Most coaches know what gigs will open up and if there is any chance in them getting them well in advance. The fact that TWO!! opportunities “snuck up” on him, is a reflection of his agent...or the fact that he had no interest in the NFL until he was contacted.

Do one year at SC, more NFL jobs will open next year.

Me personally, I believe in handshake agreements and a mans word. Just how I feel, it’s my personal opinion.

I will say this...if his agent couldn’t identify potential NFL jobs long before last week, he needs a new agent.

Most coaches know what gigs will open up and if there is any chance in them getting them well in advance. The fact that TWO!! opportunities “snuck up” on him, is a reflection of his agent...or the fact that he had no interest in the NFL until he was contacted.

Do one year at SC, more NFL jobs will open next year.
Eh, or that the NFL is a bit more rash and unpredictable than we thought.

If he had been at USC longer than two weeks I'd say he should be free to explore whatever opportunities were in front of him. However, don't take a new job and then decide you want to look around because something better comes up two weeks later.

When BC told Jags he couldn't interview for NFL jobs I thought that was really stupid. But he had been there for a few years.

I think this is more posturing than anything substantive. USC letting everyone know that they will not negotiate any buy-out clause. This would have the affect of dampening interest if the money is becomes an issue.

As noted above, his agent likely knew what was going on behind the scenes and how deep the interest really was by prospective teams. I would not be surprised if he took the job knowing he may leave (bird in hand beats two in the bush) or that he was using the USC gig to drive up his value with the NFL. This is conjecture only, I have no evidence to support the arguments, but not beyond what an agent may try to do to increase final value.

Is he no longer an at will employee?

Kingsbury is free to quit as it's suggested he may do. Denying an interview on the basis of a signed contract (And I should note, I'm assuming this is granted in the contract he signed. It seems pretty standard in coach's contracts) has nothing to do with at-will employment.

Kingsbury is free to quit as it's suggested he may do. Denying an interview on the basis of a signed contract (And I should note, I'm assuming this is granted in the contract he signed. It seems pretty standard in coach's contracts) has nothing to do with at-will employment.
Eh, I guess, just seems dumb to me.

They have a contract. He can get out of the contract at the Buy Out price he negotiated when he signed the contract. USC, petty as it may seem - and possibly be - will face difficulty in replacing him this late in the game (coaching carousel game). USC has signaled they will not comply and play hard ball. If the NFL really wants him, they will pay the price.

As to being an "at-will" employee, that depends on the state laws. Likewise, contract enforcement is dependent on the state laws. From appearances, USC is doing what they can to discourage the NFL from taking away the OC.

as AD i'd make it clear that if you're interviewing elsewhere then so am i . you job here is no longer safe.

Eh, I guess, just seems dumb to me.

Depends on what side of the contract you're on. Look at if from USC's perspective (and Htown summed it up), they are trying to protect their investment.

Depends on what side of the contract you're on. Look at if from USC's perspective (and Htown summed it up), they are trying to protect their investment.
Eh.

They have a contract. He can get out of the contract at the Buy Out price he negotiated when he signed the contract. USC, petty as it may seem - and possibly be - will face difficulty in replacing him this late in the game (coaching carousel game). USC has signaled they will not comply and play hard ball. If the NFL really wants him, they will pay the price.

As to being an "at-will" employee, that depends on the state laws. Likewise, contract enforcement is dependent on the state laws. From appearances, USC is doing what they can to discourage the NFL from taking away the OC.

I consider buy outs for when a coach leaves for another job. Not for interviewing.

If he had been at USC longer than two weeks I'd say he should be free to explore whatever opportunities were in front of him. However, don't take a new job and then decide you want to look around because something better comes up two weeks later.

When BC told Jags he couldn't interview for NFL jobs I thought that was really stupid. But he had been there for a few years.
Mmm. How long was Tyus Battle committed to Michigan?

Last edited:
This is because of a new rule in the NFL. Before this year, they could reach out to anyone they wanted and speak to them unless of course the coach they wanted to speak to was already employed in the NFL. Now, the NFL requires they get permission to speak to college coaches from the AD/School.

If this was 2017, they would be talking without ever involving the school or AD.