OT: doctors and coaches worry that kids are playing too much basketball | Syracusefan.com

OT: doctors and coaches worry that kids are playing too much basketball

Eric15

Living Legend
Interesting article in the Washington Post about how doctors are worried how youth today playing one single sport all year round can have long-term negative impacts on their joints/ligaments/muscles. A generation ago, you played your sport in its season and that was it, but now its often year-round. Places like the Mayo Clinic are strongly advocating that if a kid wants to play sports year-round its much better to "cross-train" and play multiple different sports so that you don't constantly put the same repetitive stress on the same parts of your body.

This is very true. My son played on a DA soccer academy team last year and US Soccer restricts you from playing other sports if you are on a DA sanctioned team. Literally, the kids are not allowed to play another sport because US Soccer says you cannot. At one point we had 4 players who were having foot problems from the repetitive stress/pounding their feet were taking on the turf. Doctor's advice was to have them wearing cleats less, certain stretches, diversifying their body motions (i.e. other sports), and take cleats off immediately after training at the field.

This is old news, lot of issues with the playing one sport at all times.

This is very true. My son played on a DA soccer academy team last year and US Soccer restricts you from playing other sports if you are on a DA sanctioned team. Literally, the kids are not allowed to play another sport because US Soccer says you cannot. At one point we had 4 players who were having foot problems from the repetitive stress/pounding their feet were taking on the turf. Doctor's advice was to have them wearing cleats less, certain stretches, diversifying their body motions (i.e. other sports), and take cleats off immediately after training at the field.
Hmm, sounds like I'll see US Soccer in Hell.

My experience is that soccer coaches and people that run those leagues...theyre the only ones in sports that completely disregard all other sports that kids play. No regard for scheduling with other sports so that kids can do other things, they’ve got their scrubby little leagues going year round, indoor soccer, etc. trying to recruit kids away from other sports they are good at to come be soccer bench warmers and practice players. Wanting the kids to only play soccer.

My God. Calm down, you friggin soccer weirdos. Go move to Europe or something.

My experience is that soccer coaches and people that run those leagues...theyre the only ones in sports that completely disregard all other sports that kids play. No regard for scheduling with other sports so that kids can do other things, they’ve got their scrubby little leagues going year round, indoor soccer, etc. trying to recruit kids away from other sports they are good at to come be soccer bench warmers and practice players. Wanting the kids to only play soccer.

My God. Calm down, you friggin soccer weirdos. Go move to Europe or something.
Oh, it's totally because they know it's a lame sport, and if kids play other ones and have to dump one, it's going to be soccer.

Oh, it's totally because they know it's a lame sport, and if kids play other ones and have to dump one, it's going to be soccer.

As Tom Green once said, “It’s people like you that destroy Wembley Stadium every year!!”

Soccer will be the death of baseball, (which parents have ruined with t-ball, etc.) and the refuge for people who don't want their bodies maimed forever by football.

I don't buy the physical aspect of it but I'm against the specialization of one sport. Kids should get to experience as many sports as they want to play.

Very interesting and eye opening article about the exponential increase in orthopedic injuries amongst kids due to over-exertion in one single sport.

Soccer will be the death of baseball, (which parents have ruined with t-ball, etc.) and the refuge for people who don't want their bodies maimed forever by football.

Prior to the age of 14, the most fun I ever had playing “baseball”(we used a tennis ball) was in my backyard with my dad, brother, and every kid that lived on our street.

*At the age of 12, I very vividly remember almost every single game in whatever league I played in being delayed by a shouting match between adults- all season long.

I don't buy the physical aspect of it but I'm against the specialization of one sport. Kids should get to experience as many sports as they want to play.

Anybody forcing a kid to pick a sport is a dbag.

But I see nothing wrong with it if the kid chooses to specialize. I played 3 sports through 8th grade. When high school started, I stuck with just football because it was the one sport I was good enough at to be a starter. I would have just played a few innings here and there in baseball and maybe like 10 minutes per game in basketball. Not worth it, when I could lift weights and do football specific stuff to get better at the sport I liked the most.

I managed to get through without becoming a cripple or dying, which sounds like something that would blow the minds of doctors I guess.

Anybody forcing a kid to pick a sport is a dbag.

But I see nothing wrong with it if the kid chooses to specialize. I played 3 sports through 8th grade. When high school started, I stuck with just football because it was the one sport I was good enough at to be a starter. I would have just played a few innings here and there in baseball and maybe like 10 minutes per game in basketball. Not worth it, when I could lift weights and do football specific stuff to get better at the sport I liked the most.

I managed to get through without becoming a cripple or dying, which sounds like something that would blow the minds of doctors I guess.
I think it's too much. I played football and the coaches always held it against me that I played bball and lax and didn't do the football off-season program. That's not fair let kids plays the sports that they want.

Your takeaway from the article was that all kids who play one sport will suffer major injuries?

Literally the most popular sport in the world.

Quit being ignorant Americans.

Soccer is just god awful.
I think it's too much. I played football and the coaches always held it against me that I played bball and lax and didn't do the football off-season program. That's not fair let kids plays the sports that they want.

Luckily, there wasn’t a lot of that at my school, probably because it was relatively small so most athletes had to be multi-sport or we wouldn’t field teams. The baseball coach was a turd, though, so guys picked track or not playing (me) over playing for him.

Will. Never. Happen.

Baseball is losing popularity in the U.S. Just look at the major leagues; it's more and more Latin American players.