ot - engineering catatrophes... | Syracusefan.com

ot - engineering catatrophes...

newmexicuse

All Conference
this is a science channel show that first aired in april.

season 1 episode 1 features the carrier dome as a stadium whose roof is about to collapse. it is the last roof of its kind still in service. fascinating show about both the technology holding the roof up and the maintenance that is required, particularly if a big snow comes.

recommend anybody who can catch a replay be sure to watch.

i am just watching now from dvd, would have watched when aired if i knew it featured our dome.

I thought you meant like this:
images

season 1 episode 1 features the carrier dome as a stadium whose roof is about to collapse. it is the last roof of its kind still in service. fascinating show about both the technology holding the roof up and the maintenance that is required, particularly if a big snow comes.

i am just watching now from dvd, would have watched when aired if i knew it featured our dome.
Cool show, but a bit of a stretch to call the Carrier Dome an Engineering Catastrophe, no? Seems to have served its purpose pretty well for 35 years from where I'm sitting...

That was actually a pretty good watch. Even talked about how they going to replace it, and suggested a new material...

<sarcasm>Great now you're giving both football and basketball opponents recruiting ammo... "DON'T GO TO SYRACUSE, THE DOME COULD COLLAPSE ON YOU ANY MINUTE!"</sarcasm>

Pretty misleading. The Carrier Dome engineering was never a mistake, it is just outdated. And frankly, with the challenges presented to SU, they have managed the facility exceptionally well. Unlike the bridge in Chili. What amazes me about the Dome segment, however, is that those guys on the roof are not tethered to anything. I can’t imagine OSHA is okay with that.

Last edited:
<sarcasm>Great now you're giving both football and basketball opponents recruiting ammo... "DON'T GO TO SYRACUSE, THE DOME COULD COLLAPSE ON YOU ANY MINUTE!"</sarcasm>

Well, no more recruiting of brave fenien men, now we can tell recruits that they will be able to feel safe and coddled when we get the new roof.

that's got to be fake. right? Right?
seen it a hundred times. usually it's feet meets metric. c'mon US get with world accepted common standards already.

Last edited:
Pretty misleading. The Carrier Dome engineering was never a mistake, it is just outdated. And frankly, with the challenges presented to SU, they have managed the facility exceptionally well. Unlike the bridge in Chili. What amazes me about the Dome segment, however, is that those guys on the roof are not tethered to anything. I can’t imagine OSHA is okay with that.

Thought the same thing about the lack of a tether.

As to it being an engineering disaster; well what would you expect from a guy who comes to do a spot on the Carrier Dome wearing an NC State shirt

seen it a hundred times. usually it's feet meets metric. c'mon US get with world accepted common standards already.
Yet soccer has an 18 yard box and a 6 yard box, and penalties are from 10 yards away.

Where did they put Syracuse on the map at the beginning of the show, around Auburn maybe? They didn't do their homework for this show.

Where did they put Syracuse on the map at the beginning of the show, around Auburn maybe? They didn't do their homework for this show.

Like how they show up during a tournament game and Louisville and Louisville fans trying to pass them off as the home team. Also - could nobody from the university have gotten the guy some SU gear to wear during the spot? He clearly went to the NCAA concession tent and bought the NC State stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom