OT-ESPN | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT-ESPN

Gooden is a mess, he needs serious help.

Both of those guys were drinking and smoking dope from the time they were about 15. The real mystery is how they performed at all, let alone at the remarkable level they did. Well, for a while anyway. Strawberry said he hit HR's so hungover he had no idea how he did it. Gooden was so wrecked after the '86 WS win he missed the parade the next day. :noidea:

Both of those guys were drinking and smoking dope from the time they were about 15. The real mystery is how they performed at all, let alone at the remarkable level they did. Well, for a while anyway. Strawberry said he hit HR's so hungover he had no idea how he did it. Gooden was so wrecked after the '86 WS win he missed the parade the next day. :noidea:

They would have been first ballot hof if they laid off the dope.

I've felt for a long time that you can't be too far off if you blame SportsCenter for anything that's wrong with a sport you like. How many times have they shown a 2-point jumper? How many times have they shown a grounder to 2nd that advanced the runner? When have they pointed out how that the runner bounced off a Big Hit by the DB and scored the winning TD?

I agree, Sportcenter was the standard, now it is a joke. For some reason they are trying to make the sportscasters celebrities. I don't give a crap about them, I want scores and highlights. I don't want their opinions or their little quips. They are not funny and their high opinion of themselves dwarfs that of the athletes they are covering.

It's all about attitude. Somewhere along the line the word was passed down from on high that you must be "edgy" because that's what will get the younger demographic to tune in. I'm not sure how that has worked with younger folk but it's done a helluva job of pushing older folk away from their programming. The periodic outbreak of politics ain't workin' for them either.

SportsCenter only shows highlights from like 5 teams per sport.

Lead off Cavs highlights - talk about it for 10
Minutes.

Next up Warriors highlights. Talk about it for 10 minutes.

Next up Spurs and Thunder highlights.

...some dunks.

Some other sports.

End show.

I don't watch ESPN except for live sports now. Listen to geo and Jones on crappy am radio on the way in to work. Rarely listen to Mike and Mike anymore. Listen to the local guys on the way home from work or gottlieb.

SportsCenter only shows highlights from like 5 teams per sport.

Lead off Cavs highlights - talk about it for 10
Minutes.

Next up Warriors highlights. Talk about it for 10 minutes.

Next up Spurs and Thunder highlights.

...some dunks.

Some other sports.

End show.
How many dunk highlights can you watch? Ugh

And apparently the NHL doesn't exist

IF you are ever up late the Scott Van Pelt sportscenter isn't awful (not great, just isn't awful.) Other than that I don't know how anyone watches that show (SportsCenter.) It's just a hype machine for the other programming on the network throughout the day. And I don't mean this to come off as bad as it will sound so don't everyone flip out, they have ripped off the FOX NEWS playbook in they hire every hot/pretty 20 something to do live remotes and report on sports. Nothing against a knowledgeable female sports reporter, but they have gone over the top in hiring many who clearly have no clue what they are talking about subject matter wise. And it's tough to take those reports or parts of the show seriously.

Live sports, 30 for 30, and College Gameday are the ONLY things I watch on ESPN.

ESPN's downfall is when each league started their own networks. Like I don't have to sit through hockey or NBA news/highlights anymore if I just want football news. I can go to NFL Network. And same for whatever sport a person is interested in.

I have said this before and I will say it again, the day ESPN died was the day at the ESPY's (which are a joke) and Norm McDonald did a Ken Griffey Jr joke and Griffey got up and walked out and the ESPN Executives were chasing him down the halls begging him to go back inside. Because it exposed the dirty little secrete of ESPN...THEY NEED ACCESS TO PLAYERS! Now, honestly they don't need access, they should be the 60 minutes of sports and just report on sports and who gives a flying you know what if the athletes want to be on ESPN or not. But ESPN is run by people who want to rub elbows and be buddy-buddy with the athletes so they kiss their big fat fanny's any chance they get and it makes the programming unwatchable. Combine that with the fact they have to overpay these college conferences, the NBA, the NFL to get the games...so since they are paying that much they HAVE TO hype them all day long on every show. Which is something else that makes it unwatchable. The last straw for them is when they get a Tebow, Tiger, Manziel, Lebron...they will cover them to death and beat the subject matter into the ground chasing away the few fans of the network they have left.

The rise of the leagues Cable Network's has been great for fans but has played a large role in the decline of ESPN

Last edited:
How many dunk highlights can you watch? Ugh

And apparently the NHL doesn't exist
SO MUCH BASKETBALL.

I mean who gives af about who the 76ers are playing maybe someone does but is the 8-7 Pittsburgh Washington hockey game not as interesting? I get hockey isn't the stuff down south but In the North they must feel cheated.

I've started watching My Two Dads reruns instead of Sportscenter when I eat breakfast. Enough said.

No need to sell Greg Evigan short. Between that and BJ and the Bear, the man is a legend.

I've started watching My Two Dads reruns

What channel are they on? lol (actually not joking Im curious as I might want to catch a couple)

What channel are they on? lol (actually not joking Im curious as I might want to catch a couple)

Oh sorry. I missed this. It's on one of my digital channels called UPTV at 7 am and 7:30 Eastern and then it's on Antenna TV Sunday night at 11 pm Eastern.

I agree, Sportcenter was the standard, now it is a joke. For some reason they are trying to make the sportscasters celebrities. I don't give a crap about them, I want scores and highlights. I don't want their opinions or their little quips. They are not funny and their high opinion of themselves dwarfs that of the athletes they are covering.
Too much cross selling of Disney's other stuff, primarily movies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom