OT - For the really old guys here... | Syracusefan.com

OT - For the really old guys here...

Bayside44

Saw the Stones last night at Verizon, might be their last North American show. For anyone who saw them in the Dome in 1989 (I did 2x as a frosh at SU) it's amazing to see it 24 years later.

Get Off Of My Cloud
It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Worried About You
Street Fighting Man (By Request)
Emotional Rescue
Doom And Gloom
One More Shot
Honky Tonk Women
You Got The Silver (with Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Before They Make Me Run (with Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
Miss You
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil
ENCORE
You Can’t Always Get What You Want (with The Washington Chorus)
Jumpin’ Jack Flash
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

How did they fit all of those wheelchairs on stage?
image.jpg

I was at the 89 show. Was in grad school in Albany and came back to do my laundry at the frat house. Had no idea stones were in town. Someone handed me a beer and a ticket. Ten minutes after my arrival. I had a blast! And afterwards its the closest I ever came to being arrested after m street shinanigans...

Saw the Stones last night at Verizon, might be their last North American show.
Oh yeah, well, I saw the San Francisco Symphony not too long ago, conducted by the venerable Herbert Blomstedt, playing the 5th Symphony of Anton Bruckner. So there!

Seriously tho, never was much into the Stones. But am seeing Sabbath this summer at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Saw the Stones last night at Verizon, might be their last North American show. For anyone who saw them in the Dome in 1989 (I did 2x as a frosh at SU) it's amazing to see it 24 years later.

Get Off Of My Cloud
It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Worried About You
Street Fighting Man (By Request)
Emotional Rescue
Doom And Gloom
One More Shot
Honky Tonk Women
You Got The Silver (with Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Before They Make Me Run (with Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
Miss You
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil
ENCORE
You Can’t Always Get What You Want (with The Washington Chorus)
Jumpin’ Jack Flash
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

I saw that show, Steele Wheels then Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon tour all in the Carrier Dome. I have loved the Stones since first seeing them on the Ed Sullivan show. They are the greatest rock and roll band in the world, but it's hard to watch them now. Almost sad, but they can still crank it out. Plus the fact that the ticket prices are so much. It's funny, I saw Led Zeppelin in 1971 and it cost $8.00. Last Stones tickets for me and the wife were like $75.00 each.

Awesome set.

Went to both in 89 as well, 1st night on a ticket, 2nd as 'security', which I did often as a student. What a great scam btw.

Why have Taylor do a Jones song for the encore when he played on so many other classics??

They will tour again for they won't miss out on the $$$$$ of calling 1 the last whatever.

did they do toronto already? my buddy wanted to a road trip

saw them at the sky dome for voodoo lounge -what a horrid sounding show-

then a few days latter at the dome they sounded awesome

Awesome set.

Went to both in 89 as well, 1st night on a ticket, 2nd as 'security', which I did often as a student. What a great scam btw.

Why have Taylor do a Jones song for the encore when he played on so many other classics??

They will tour again for they won't miss out on the $$$$$ of calling 1 the last whatever.

Taylor was out there b/c it was it.

He freakishly killed Midnight Rambler. I mean it dismissed any age-ism out there. And fully makes you realize how much current rock flat out sucks.

Saw the stones at gbe dome in 81' and 94? Missed the 89' show.

81 was amazing. 94 less so other than an awesome rendition of sympathy for the devil with mick in a top hat and tails.

The dome concerts in the early mid-80s were a freaking who's who of great bands.

Hey, let's not discriminate against some of us younger guys. I'm 32 but I was raised on the Stones. One of the earliest things I can remember is the vinyl copy of Hot Rocks that my parents had, and listening to it constantly.

Saw the Stones in '81 at the Dome. Bought restricted view seats to the 2nd show IIRC. It was pretty cool I got to go because the rumor was this was their last tour ('81). I think my tickets were $15. Common thought at the time was Rockers retired by 35 and certainly wouldn't play past 40.

I remember my floor-mates being excited about the shows. While in line, they couldn't get tickets for the rumored 2nd show until the first sold out.

I was there for Journey, Van Halen, Foreigner, The Police, Genesis, and The Who's (first) farewell tour... those were the days with 94-ROCK, 95-X, Benny, 805, etc..

Trivia: the first "real concert" in the Dome was Carlos Santana at the "Demi Dome". It was preceded by Ronald Reagan's fundraiser featuring "old blue-eyes" (that's Frank Sinatra, for you youngsters) himself, back in the fall of 1980.

That's for young guys, we real old timers remember they played Ithaca (Cornell) and I believe also Syracuse in the late 60's. Was really pissed as most of the tickets were allotted to fraternities and I had not yet joined one.

best sounding dome concert of all time(rock) was pink floyd -
sound was unreal good from my seat-

second best was the stones in the meadowlands -steel wheels i think it was-again we had perfect seats-

i have a big picture frame that has a unused 89 dome ticket-and the used stubs from skydome meadowlands and dome along with some ultra rare concert beer cup for sale poster and a video sale poster-and rolled up in a corner is a "bones" 5ft poster

I vaguely recall some of those shows but for some reason its all a bit fuzzy.

About a year ago I read Keith Richards's autobiography and watched 'Crossfire Hurricane' and another excellent documentary on the making of 'Exile on Main Street' (which on some days I'd argue is the greatest rock album ever made).

Sent me into a several month long Stones binge, which is never a bad thing.

That's for young guys, we real old timers remember they played Ithaca (Cornell) and I believe also Syracuse in the late 60's. Was really pissed as most of the tickets were allotted to fraternities and I had not yet joined one.

They played the War Memorial in Syracuse. I think in 1965. There was an American flag hanging over the stage area and it fell down and some thought it was planned by the Stones. I actually knew a guy at that was at that show.

1965 sounds right as I would have been a Cornell freshman then and remember my disappointment at not getting tickets as concert was promoted by IFC (Inter Fraternity Council) and most were allotted to the fraternities.

Also my freshman year at the dome in '89, but only saw the second show. The first night I just popped open my 7th floor Dellplain window and listened. I couldn't believe how well you could hear the music. One of the moments where I realized how awesome SU was.

I was there for 1981 and 1994 shows.

Second one was better.